Woolwich Ferry

Anyone on here used the Woolwich Ferry? Just wondering how long it takes to get across, including waiting for the ferry, boarding etc? Also what are the running times?

Was heading to up Dereham from Northfleet around lunchtime, dartford tunnel was shut due to an accident on the other side (horsebox overturned) so decided to use the Blackwall tunnel, only to get stuck there for about half an hour due to a accident in the tunnel :confused:

Thought about using the ferry but as Iā€™ve never had the oppertunity to use it I decided not to risk it as iā€™d lost enough time already.

Grayham:
Anyone on here used the Woolwich Ferry? Just wondering how long it takes to get across, including waiting for the ferry, boarding etc? Also what are the running times?

Was heading to up Dereham from Northfleet around lunchtime, dartford tunnel was shut due to an accident on the other side (horsebox overturned) so decided to use the Blackwall tunnel, only to get stuck there for about half an hour due to a accident in the tunnel :confused:

Thought about using the ferry but as Iā€™ve never had the oppertunity to use it I decided not to risk it as iā€™d lost enough time already.

From time to boarding to coming off the ramp on the other side itā€™s probably about 10-15 mins tops. The actually crossing only takes a couple of mins, maybe 5 tops. The problem is the waiting time which - when Iā€™ve used it - has been variable. Sometimes you can get down there and be straight on, other times you can be sat there for going on half an hour, and thatā€™s when the tunnels are running problem free, so a lot of people will probably have the same idea as you when Dartford is chocker. Riskyā€¦

Grayham:

When you get to Dereham youā€™ll wonder why you bothered.

Rob K:
From time to boarding to coming off the ramp on the other side itā€™s probably about 10-15 mins tops. The actually crossing only takes a couple of mins, maybe 5 tops. The problem is the waiting time which - when Iā€™ve used it - has been variable. Sometimes you can get down there and be straight on, other times you can be sat there for going on half an hour, and thatā€™s when the tunnels are running problem free, so a lot of people will probably have the same idea as you when Dartford is chocker. Riskyā€¦

Hmmmmm probrably not worth it then, the nearest Iā€™ve come to using it before was when I tipped in Woolwich and then had to take the truck to purfleet for a service, the queue for the ferry put me off so I headed for the Blackwall tunnel. Thinking back it took me about half an hour to get from there through the tunnel and along the A13 to where you come on from the ferry, so unless itā€™s a quiet day you wonā€™t be saving any time.

dont forget to get your duty free :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hanson:
dont forget to get your duty free :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

don,t be so[zb] stupid. wer,e in the eec now so you pay normal prices on the woolich ferry as well. nob :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Grayham:
Anyone on here used the Woolwich Ferry?

I knew his brother Bryan. :wink:

If the clowns in the traffic office are a bit docile donā€™t forget to book a couple of
quids on the expenses :bulb: :laughing:

i have used it on a couple of occasions and not had to wait too long. on the south side thereā€™s a cafe and room to take a break. just speak to the chap directing the traffic and heā€™ll sort you out :smiley: if you can get in the middle, at the front, itā€™s like youā€™re steering the ferry :laughing: :laughing:

I overnighted in Woolwich [LAGOS] and found a dingy pub where every 3 minutes a scantily dressed Brazlian came round with jug in hand asking for a Ā£1, the pub has some great boxing memorabilia tho

timmo:
i have used it on a couple of occasions and not had to wait too long. on the south side thereā€™s a cafe and room to take a break. just speak to the chap directing the traffic and heā€™ll sort you out :smiley: if you can get in the middle, at the front, itā€™s like youā€™re steering the ferry :laughing: :laughing:

:wink:

Used to use it quite a lot during the day and never had to wait long enough to use the burger bar but the other lads used to rave about it. The car drivers still try to cut you up when getting on but the lads that load the ferry donā€™t take any crap and put the artics on where they want them. So Iā€™d say give it a go next time as Iā€™d bet when most of the cars see a queue theyā€™d turn around anyway?

dave:

timmo:

:wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: poop poop!

That pic makes it look like youā€™re out in the middle of the sea somewhere! :open_mouth:

Rob K:
That pic makes it look like youā€™re out in the middle of the sea somewhere! :open_mouth:

they dont like it when you cast your fishing rod out the cab window . :stuck_out_tongue:

Before the stupid queues in the Dartford tunnels, our company was running Olein from Van Den Bergh and Jurgens in Purfleet to Loders and Crooklaan on Silvertown Way. We were down there all week and depending on the time of day we used either the south side and back over the Woolwich ferry or along the busy A13. It helped us keep our bonus :stuck_out_tongue:

I use it occasionally but often when I drift along thinking of using it I see the ā€œone boat service - hour delayā€ sign and think bollox and use a tunnel instead. If youā€™re in the area it can save yu some driving time and makes a change.

timmo:

i bet youā€™re the sort of person that sits in the top right hand seat on the bus as well lol.

ive only used the ferry once and didnā€™t have too wait long but i wouldnā€™t go out of my way for it.

timmo:
if you can get in the middle, at the front, itā€™s like youā€™re steering the ferry :laughing: :laughing:

I thought that was the job of Captain Pugwash, assisted by MasterBates and Roger the cabin boy. :wink:

Ken.

If youā€™ve got the time & the sunā€™s shining its quite pleasant, but as Rob says, the wait can be longer than the crossing.