Woolpit Steam Rally 3rd June

Bit of a better day than Crowfield weather wise, but not as many trucks tho’. So this picture post is a bit light on Scania V8’s I’m afraid. :laughing:

These are all pretty vintage motors.

AEC

Above, an old Matador.

A Foden tractor unit originally from Clacton.

A lovely old Bedford owned by Whitton & Frost of Stanton.

Never got any info on this, since been told It’s a Scammell Explorer…but the axle travel was pretty impressive…

Old Bedford.

Great pictures, thanks for posting them.

The 2nd last one, which I thought was a Thorneycroft (some kind of ex army truck I reckon) was doing a reversing manouvre - you can see the guy busy stacking wood up behind the rear wheel. He got a stack I would say over the height of the hub of the rear wheel, and the driver reversed over it as if it wasn’t there. No tilting of the truck, the axle just travelled up and over it.

The green and red one is a Scammell Explorer. Nice photos by the way. :wink:

Thanks for the info mate. I did a search using that info and came up with this picture.

Seems that this was indeed a military truck and the REME used them quite a bit. They were built in the 1950’s and used a Meadows 10.3 litre petrol engine, ehich gave them a fuel return of about 3mpg!!!

Here’s one showing the full axle articulation…

and here’s one I forgot earlier, an old light van (I didn’t get to see the maker’s name on the bonnet) liveried in ‘Claydon Haulage’ colours - one for you Ipswich folks out there. Anybody recognise the maker?

chorcheela:
They were built in the 1950’s and used a Meadows 10.3 litre petrol engine, ehich gave them a fuel return of about 3mpg!!!

Or if working really hard, soon became 3 gallons per mile!

chorcheela:
Anybody recognise the maker?

Jowett Cars Ltd of Bradford. Their van models were the Bradford CA, CB and CC. No idea exactly which one that is.

Nice pictures.

That Matador is really nice, I saw it at a show last year but never got a picture. I think that Boltons have got several older motors, were there any others there?

8wheels:
Nice pictures.

That Matador is really nice, I saw it at a show last year but never got a picture. I think that Boltons have got several older motors, were there any others there?

No 8wheels, there weren’t any other Boltons there, quite a small truck section as it’s really all about traction engines and tractors.

Thanks Coffeeholic, I can recognise a Jowett car but I never knew they made vans…

chorcheela:
Thanks for the info mate. I did a search using that info and came up with this picture.

Seems that this was indeed a military truck and the REME used them quite a bit. They were built in the 1950’s and used a Meadows 10.3 litre petrol engine, ehich gave them a fuel return of about 3mpg!!!

A friend of mine bought one many years ago in Portsmouth, put 50 gals of petrol in and set off home. I think he stopped 4 times on the way home to Usk (Near Newport) to refuel and when it ran dry 10 miles from home he’d had enough and got something to tow it. When restoring it he sometimes needed to turn it round in the workshop. As he’d removed the tank he used to put a 1 Gal can on the bonnet and stick the fuel pipe directly into that. Apparently that gallon would just about last long anough to drive out, turn around and reverse back in! Needless to say he soon fitted a diesel.

Makes the 10mpg I used to get out of my Matadors seem frugal.[/img]