Woodhead Pass

Manchester to Sheffield tommorow 15/03/21 around 4.30 am, is Woodhead open or are they doing roadworks, I can’t find anything online. There used to be a really good website called Glossop online or something like that which used to give really good information about Woodhead, it was very useful in the winter to check the weather, roadworks etc, but it seems it is no longer active :frowning:

shullbit:
Manchester to Sheffield tommorow 15/03/21 around 4.30 am, is Woodhead open or are they doing roadworks, I can’t find anything online. There used to be a really good website called Glossop online or something like that which used to give really good information about Woodhead, it was very useful in the winter to check the weather, roadworks etc, but it seems it is no longer active :frowning:

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/yorkshire-and-north-east/a628-maintenance-and-improvement-programme/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

stuwozere1:

shullbit:

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/yorkshire-and-north-east/a628-maintenance-and-improvement-programme/

Thanks for that, I do wish that Glossop online site was still active though, was very useful, I think I’m gonna go M62 now though.

Glossop is my home town and I must admit the site was useful for when I went to visit my parents

Matrix signs said it would be shut at weekend, but when they’ll have it reopened is anyones guess. Will likely depend on weather, so not sure why they are doing that in Winter.

Personally I’d be wary even if it was open as winds are quite high currently even on lower ground, so can imagine what its like up there.

Plus unless you’ve got a V8, you might find M62 is actually just as quick due to all the 15mph crawling up hills. I used to do woodhead to one of our depots and discovered the upper route was exactly as quick despite being 30 miles longer.

shullbit:

If it is open then listen very carefully…

In the hours of darkness watch out for the lean green parcel machine wagon and drag, they show no mercy…

You’re welcome and good luck… :open_mouth: