Wondered when this would happen,

Good idea? Or government money grabbing??

m.direct.gov.uk/syndicationContr … 1207061740

Drivers under 45 years old
If you passed a driving test in one of the categories below, you’ll come under the new rules when you renew your driving licence.The categories affected are C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1 or D1E.When you renew your licence, you’ll receive a licence that is valid for five years. Every time you renew it, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) will need you to confirm that you still meet the medical standards.

The only difference is a health declaration for under 45 year olds, and over 45 year olds have no difference.
Whats the problem?

halved the validity of your licence, not a problem just asking why?

Good idea when you look at the number of fat bar stewards about these days.

Went to a breakdown t’other day, it took the driver a good 2 minutes to get out of the cab.
At one point (as he was trying to turn around in the door to get down the cab steps) I almost said ‘stay there drive, I’ll drop the trailer for you’.

Kin ell, he must have been a good 30 stone, huffing and puffing just getting out the cab. By the time he’d uncoupled the trailer he was sweating and well out of breath.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’ve got nothing against portly chaps whatsoever, but harsh as it may sound, that guy came across to me as a ticking time bomb.

I just hope no one I know is anywhere near him when he does have a heart attack, 'cos there’ll be 44 ton out of control.

cieranc:
I just hope no one I know is anywhere near him when he does have a heart attack, 'cos there’ll be 44 ton out of control.

Is that with or without a trailer?

Fat Barstewards there may be many, but there are very few new drivers coming in at the junior end.
Where do you think the government is going to find enough newbies of any age prepared to jump through all these new hoops? :stuck_out_tongue:

They aren’t, there will be less commercial drivers about in coming years.
But is that a bad thing?
The way I see it, the drivers value will increase, wages will rise, drivers will be treat better.

I don’t think anyone is stupid enough these days to spend money on medicals, Digi card, CPC, driver training, and other associated ■■■■■■■■ just to get a job that pays £8 an hour. Building site labourers get more than that.

So, in the future, drivers will retire, no new drivers coming through, it’ll go back to the days of the company sponsoring the driver, the company footing the bill for the tests.

We can all hope lol. But as it is at the moment, its costing more and more money to come to work.