Wonder if it's agency

Come on Winseer. Agency come in drive our wagons do in a day what we do in a half get paid more and leave our motors with no diesel ad blue wings lights etc etc. Not that we have any problems with them.

Harry Monk:
You ok hun? :stuck_out_tongue:

Xxxx’s and hugs. Pm me x

Winseer:
Having done both, I’ve always been puzzled by this apparent hostility of full timers towards agency.

It doesn’t seem to happen the other way around though - does it?

I’ve been the agency bod to whom the snidey (usually short arse) full timers appeared to be hostile.
One of the hostile snidey bleeders started full time where i am now couple of years ago, guess what he’s still the same hostile snidey bleeder, its what he is, and still a short arse to boot.

Agency bods aint looked down on where i am, if they prove to be miserable wingeing sods they might well get it back with interest, similarly i’ve been an agency bod in the past and been thoroughly embarrassed by the weirdos that turn up from the same agency looking for all intents like the Yorkshire ripper with an attitude to suit, even i went out of my way to avoid them.

Takes all sorts.

As someone on the video comments said 53’ trailers are not allowed in NY city but the cops won’t bother you unless you eff up then your liable to get a ticket which should be paid by the company. I’d say this driver will get one now he’s drawn attention to himself. :unamused:

I’d like to have seen the video but for some reason it won’t show on my confuser.

Beau Nydel:
Come on Winseer. Agency come in drive our wagons do in a day what we do in a half get paid more and leave our motors with no diesel ad blue wings lights etc etc. Not that we have any problems with them.

…How many times have I taken over a “regular’s” vehicle, only to find all their crap littered about the cab, and me thinking “How can they live like this?”

…Even if I valet the whole cab out to fill in some time - I would still get moaned at, for throwing away some apparently collectable ■■■ ■■■■, empty collectable coffee jar, and don’t even GO there when I got moaned at for using the babywipes handily left in the cab - to wipe of a rather large bit of dried phlegm from the steering wheel upon takeover!
FFS - What next?

Juddian:

Winseer:
Having done both, I’ve always been puzzled by this apparent hostility of full timers towards agency.

It doesn’t seem to happen the other way around though - does it?

I’ve been the agency bod to whom the snidey (usually short arse) full timers appeared to be hostile.
One of the hostile snidey bleeders started full time where i am now couple of years ago, guess what he’s still the same hostile snidey bleeder, its what he is, and still a short arse to boot.

Agency bods aint looked down on where i am, if they prove to be miserable wingeing sods they might well get it back with interest, similarly i’ve been an agency bod in the past and been thoroughly embarrassed by the weirdos that turn up from the same agency looking for all intents like the Yorkshire ripper with an attitude to suit, even i went out of my way to avoid them.

Takes all sorts.

Yeh, one needs to be suspicious of that new dude with the big bushy beard who is asking where to get his roll of carpet from, before setting out on a week-long tramp for the first time with that firm… :stuck_out_tongue:

There are some who think that Agency are “failed full-timers”.

I’ve noticed that whilst an agency driver might be offered a full time job - you don’t see many full timers quit, and come back straight away on agency…

There again, one doesn’t necessarily get many take-ups for agency-full timer these days - they might be able to work out that they are better-off staying put!
Ditch a full time job on £12ph with the intent of coming back on agency for £15ph (both PAYE for sake of argument) - “doesn’t happen much” - because the firm themselves - wont’ bloody well let their drivers DO that!

Thus, I could venture an argument that a “Full Timer” - is an agency bod that chickened out, and figured “guaranteed” lower pay - is better than “maybe higher pay” when the market is awash with shifts these days, especially in the transport of goods that everyone has a hand in…

How much do Amazon Prime drivers get paid on agency compared to the full timers for instance?
…Or Clipper… Or Buffaload… Or any random Supermarket?

(Agencies block-booked every day at these places - right?)

For all the moaning about agency drivers whether or not you like it your stuck with them, because the tin pot people that employ you cant retain drivers with the pittance of wages paid, therefore enter the agency driver, up the employed wage should deplete 90% of the agencys.

Where do people get the idea agency drivers are better paid, in all my jobs of the last 30 years any agency drivers in the same sector of the industry (on the cars it was most unusual for agency staff to be used anywhere, and not where i worked, where they gained if at all was maybe doing less work for the pay once in a while), and where i am now the agency are not as well paid as the full timers.
I keep saying it lads, get away from general hire and reward transport and things can be completely different out there, and improving once more as companies feel the real effects of the deskilling of the industry, something which applies not just in the transport sector.

Juddian:
Where do people get the idea agency drivers are better paid, in all my jobs of the last 30 years any agency drivers in the same sector of the industry (on the cars it was most unusual for agency staff to be used anywhere, and not where i worked, where they gained if at all was maybe doing less work for the pay once in a while), and where i am now the agency are not as well paid as the full timers.
I keep saying it lads, get away from general hire and reward transport and things can be completely different out there, and improving once more as companies feel the real effects of the deskilling of the industry, something which applies not just in the transport sector.

You have a well paid job juddian, and you are right in what you say.
But for many in lower paid general work, agency do get paid a fair bit more per hour, at least on paper.

One sharky agency that owes me money from a while back and refused to pay, the other day they randomly added me to a WhatsApp group for all their drivers. They lost a few drivers that day :smiley: :smiley:

Conor:

David5l:
My post was done purely tongue in cheek.

If people continually call you useless, a waste of space etc something which they think is funny how long before you no longer find it tolerable and get sick to death of them and maybe even insert your fist into their face?

Agency drivers have had to put up with useless one trick pony prats taking the mick for years. I’ve had to put up with it for 25 by people who go on to demonstrate they aren’t even a 10th of the driver I am. Don’t worry, we know you’re useless so the end of October when the clocks change and we take your truck out a week later still showing BST we’ll put the clock right on the tachograph cos we know you don’t have a clue how to. (PS it doesn’t change itself, the agency driver who drives your lorry does it.)

In fairness they have a point.

I recently turned up on agency for a class 1 shift. Turned out to be class 2 26t with massive overhand and rearsteer. It didn’t end well for me, the company or the poor bloke whos car got a new window in the door. We as agency do cause a bit of carnage - ususally when companies lie and then expect us to get on with it.

Also… as an agency driver why would you be changing the time on a tacho? I couldn’t care less about it tbh. I just put my card in and drive the things.

Juddian:

If the agency pays less than the full timers get - then people are going to want to be taken on full time.

When the agency pays way OVER what the full timers get (Eg. Stobarts) - then you’ll want to be in there on agency “forever”, and bugger the full time aspect. If anything, you’re side-stepping such offers of a full time contract - all the time!

Who wants to come off £12.50ph for example to get on “Eddie Stobart Rates of Pay”…?

Having had both permanent and agency work and at the age of 51 I wouldn’t touch a permanent job. Been part of the furniture at firms, having to be told on a daily basis what I have to do and treat like crap in the process. Do as I like now for better pay and plenty of variety, yes there are crap drivers in both camps but many times the agency driver, as said before, is the whipping boy for the incompetent full timer.

idrive:

Juddian:

One sharky agency that owes me money from a while back and refused to pay, the other day they randomly added me to a WhatsApp group for all their drivers. They lost a few drivers that day :smiley: :smiley:

Well played that man :sunglasses: , what’s that saying about revenge being a dish best served cold :smiling_imp:

And yes i am fortunate and i appreciate it and do my best to make it last, and why i encourage others with some savvy to do the same, find those rare better jobs and help them thrive as well as starving the agencies of those who take care and a bit of pride, equally i understand that it isn’t easy to get those good breaks and often enough, as in my case, it was sheer luck right place right time when i got my chance, so keep those mincers peeled lads :wink:

Can equally understand Robbo99’s point, what the hell are these companies doing alienating drivers so no bugger wants to work for them, beats me :unamused:

I’ve also found that when you do the job properly on the agency, ie turn up on time, do the job legally and professionally without causing a song and dance, then the end client treats you with respect and asks for the agency to supply you again and again, win win.

Re: Wonder if it’s agency

by Conor » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:16 pm

David5l wrote:My post was done purely tongue in cheek.

If people continually call you useless, a waste of space etc
dont you end up believing you are useless,waste of space, it did for me so I got agency work .I fill fine now

robbo99.:
I’ve also found that when you do the job properly on the agency, ie turn up on time, do the job legally and professionally without causing a song and dance, then the end client treats you with respect and asks for the agency to supply you again and again, win win.

Here here. If I acted like I do on agency as a full timer - I’d soon get the boot for making a fuss about carrying my co-full-time workers - now for no extra pay! As agency though, “Mopping up after them” - puts more money in my pocket, as I’m paid by the hour to do any and every other side job I can find myself to keep busy at there. Win/Win - indeed! :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :sunglasses:
I’m talking about things like “Sweeping out your trailer” or “picking up all the fiddly bits of empties, not just the big bits that you can load easily”…

Juddian:

“In my own bed” - clearly isn’t the South East of England, me old fruit…! :laughing:

I can’t see how agency drivers comes into this. The video was simply an example of bad driving. He was too close to the first car and should have known that if he veered left his o/s trailer would hit it. Even if he hadn’t, he wouldn’t have got past the fire hydrant or second car either at the angle he’d be in. Don’t laugh too loudly guys, or waste your time attacking each other. In the next recession the consequences won’t distinguish between agency drivers, or the ‘superiority’ of full time drivers in the bespoke distribution gig that you think will never end. :slight_smile: