women!

not having a rant
so dont get all defensive
:laughing:
until i joined trucknet i never once saw a female driver (hgv smartarse)
but over the last few months or so it seems every other trucks got a woman behind the wheel ie today in conisborough donc saw 3 in the space of 1/2 hour,
so is wagon driving gettin more popular with the ladies , is it losing its macho image,or are the trucks just easier to drive now :laughing: (ducks down :laughing: ),and how do they go on without an interior mirror to do their hair(ducks again :laughing: )
seriously though how much harder is it for a woman to get on in this job than a man?and is it worth the hassle?.

mezzzz1211:
is it losing its macho image

Not really.

or are the trucks just easier to drive now

Yes.

and how do they go on without an interior mirror to do their hair

Just look a mess. Iā€™ve got better things to do with a 9 hour break than worry what I look like anyway! :wink:

seriously though how much harder is it for a woman to get on in this job than a man?

It isnā€™t. Itā€™s harder in some ways but a darn sight easier in othersā€¦for example, you get heckled when you turn up to tip, but youā€™re still last in and first outā€¦another, you may have to prove yourself a little harder when you first start, but a bloke probably wouldnā€™t have got a foot in with no experience in the first place. :grimacing:
If you get hung up on the whole sexism thing (banter aside) then youā€™ll see it everywhereā€¦but if you forget it you soon realise that itā€™s 99% paranoia on your part. Iā€™ve only ever had one incident of genuine sexism in 5 years driving. It does happen, but itā€™s a lot rarer than youā€™d think.

and is it worth the hassle?.

Ask me on a good week! (The more observant amongst you will notice Iā€™ve been home a lot this weekā€¦ :cry: ) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Generally, yes. Couldnā€™t work in an office. Too many women wittering on about soaps and makeup. :sunglasses:

Lucy:
Couldnā€™t work in an office. Too many women wittering on about soaps and makeup. :sunglasses:

so you know my mrs the lucy pmsl

Lucy:
Couldnā€™t work in an office. Too many women wittering on about soaps and makeup. :sunglasses:

Is that Women in the ā€œold womenā€ metaphorically speaking way ?.
Because if itā€™s not then I would just like to add itā€™s not female or officer worker exclusive.

shaun:

Lucy:

did you see corry this week then, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
that bloody emily bishop, taking him in and giving him a home,
and ken barlow steaming, eeeeh i tell you, i,m off to the vick, i mean rovers. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Gonna go out on a limb here as I am sure there are some die hards among us that do not, will not agree!

The only likely restriction has always been the need to hand ball or manually handle heavy items, but in this day and age of restrictive H&S manual handling is taken care of by mechanical means.

If a girl gets the licence she has been through the same training and test(s) as anyone else who holds one so has already proven herself to some degree and there are good and bad men driverā€™s the same way as there are women.

The industry hasnā€™t necessarily changed, but Women have and all for the better, GO FOR IT GIRLS!

mezzzz1211:
until i joined trucknet i never once saw a female driver (hgv smartarse)
but over the last few months or so it seems every other trucks got a woman behind the wheel ie today in conisborough donc saw 3 in the space of 1/2 hour,

I saw one yesterday in Maltby driving an Amberhill tipper. She pulled up where I was unloading as the bonet/grille on her FL10 had decided to open itself while she was driving down the High Street!

I wonā€™t say anything against women drivers as my HGV instructor was female!

so is wagon driving gettin more popular with the ladies , is it losing its macho image,or are the trucks just easier to drive now

you seen the size of some of them woman driving now,their built like men :laughing: :laughing: i wouldnā€™t argue with some of them iā€™ll tell you that 4 nothing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I wonder when we will start seeing the Polish women behind the wheel?.

i tipped with the same German bird twice in a matter of weeks a different Homebases last yearā€¦she was working for her brother and had done the van, 7.5tonner, artic thing that a lot of us have gone thru

lol I turned up to do a shift on the docks and everyone thought I was Polish for TWO days, until I actually got talking with people.

I was in Palmer & Harveyā€™s today (SWEETS!) and had a bit of fun in the morning cause noone had told them it was a female rdiver turning up. My intial is R so they were all waiting for a Roy or a Robert. Peopleā€™s faces can be amusing.

But yes, it does wear thin sometimes and yes, Ive heard ALL the jokes.

Hey mezzzz1211,

Just wait until they start driving tippers with youā€¦they might show you a thing or two about hanging onto your back door. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Talking of tippers I saw at least four women the other day on tippersā€¦ everyone with with a smile.

Skyhook:
Hey mezzzz1211,

Just wait until they start driving tippers with youā€¦they might show you a thing or two about hanging onto your back door. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Talking of tippers I saw at least four women the other day on tippersā€¦ everyone with with a smile.

:open_mouth: must ve run somthing over :laughing:
thats the only time tipper drivers smile :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Talking of tippers I saw at least four women the other day on tippers

surely they can get more than four woman in a tipper :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: what a waste :laughing: all that spare space in the tipper :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Although I have met and worked with many Lady Drivers over the years I will always remember the first one.

If ever she said she was going to Oldham, she never had a shortage of blokes offering their tackle to hold :stuck_out_tongue:

But Seriously. I think the French have a very old fashioned idea about women in trucks. I see quite a lot during the day, driving trucks in France, but I cannot remember ever seeing them in the restaurant in the evening.

In Holland there were probably more drivers of the fairer ā– ā– ā–  doing long distance work

Just wait until they start driving tippers with youā€¦they might show you a thing or two about hanging onto your back door.

Ahem. I drive an artic bulk tipper. and i smile all the time. In my job its still very much a novelty to see a female. The farmers faces when i turn up are hysterically funny.
i tipped Rock Salt at Mountsorrell last week and while I was shutting back door the yard man went and got me a coffee. Bet he wouldnt have done it if it was a bloke :smiley: And he let me in an hour and half early :wink:

you seen the size of some of them woman driving now,their built like men i wouldnā€™t argue with some of them iā€™ll tell you that 4 nothing

I am 5ā€™ tall and despite belief to the contrary most women driving trucks are not built like brick outhouses.

and how do they go on without an interior mirror to do their hair

the only cosmetics I use are a box of baby wipes to get the grime off my face and hands cos I am such a muck magnet. And baseball caps hide a multitude of sins as well as stopping the crap getting in your hair.
As for sexism well so far it has only worked in my favour. Like Lucy says I do tend to get away with murder. If anybody can get tipped or loaded late its me. My tm will even say you might have to bimbo this one :laughing:

We had a lady driver work for us for a short time , she was built like an outhouse and batted for the other side if you know what i mean!! and the sight of her sqatting by the nearside rear wheel was not pretty and i thought i`d need counselling :laughing: :laughing:
royā€¦

roytheboy:
We had a lady driver work for us for a short time , she was built like an outhouse and batted for the other side if you know what i mean!! and the sight of her sqatting by the nearside rear wheel was not pretty and i thought i`d need counselling :laughing: :laughing:
royā€¦

Thereā€™s always oneā€¦just like thereā€™s always one man who smells like a sewage farm; is more blubber than bloke; wouldnā€™t know a razor if it slit his throat; has no teeth left to brush; canā€™t utter a sentence without swearing and thinks that we all find the sight of his hairy arse hanging over his trousers truly attractiveā€¦

ā€¦but then no-one ever judges Truck Drivers by a ā€œbad appleā€ stereotype, do theyā€¦? :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mind you, Iā€™m built fairly, er, solidly myself just now, so maybe I should keep quietā€¦ :blush: ā€¦although Iā€™m definately and visibly NOT batting for the other side, and couldnā€™t squat by my rear-wheel if I tried!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: :grimacing:

Nessa:
As for sexism well so far it has only worked in my favour. Like Lucy says I do tend to get away with murder. If anybody can get tipped or loaded late its me. My tm will even say you might have to bimbo this one

Suffice to say I am currently enjoying the most extreme version of this oneā€¦have belly, will drive - and very little else in between!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The lads at our place are all really sweet about it (whilst taking bets in the background as to how much longer Iā€™ll last :laughing: )ā€¦they donā€™t say much beyond the usual banter, but itā€™s amazing how often I book in after saying ā€œhiā€ to another of ours and find my doors open/shutā€¦or stop and dig out my dock references only to find my twistlocks have undone themselvesā€¦or get around the other side of the unit with the pressure washer only to find someone is following me with the brush - ā€œjust trying to get home quickerā€¦Iā€™m behind you in the queueā€ (yeah, which is why you never normally do it)ā€¦

Bless 'em, eh? :wink:

Lucy:
Suffice to say I am currently enjoying the most extreme version of this oneā€¦have belly, will drive - and very little else in between!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The lads at our place are all really sweet about it (whilst taking bets in the background as to how much longer Iā€™ll last :laughing: )ā€¦they donā€™t say much beyond the usual banter, but itā€™s amazing how often I book in after saying ā€œhiā€ to another of ours and find my doors open/shutā€¦or stop and dig out my dock references only to find my twistlocks have undone themselvesā€¦or get around the other side of the unit with the pressure washer only to find someone is following me with the brush - ā€œjust trying to get home quickerā€¦Iā€™m behind you in the queueā€ (yeah, which is why you never normally do it)ā€¦

Bless 'em, eh? :wink:

It could also have something to do with the thought that if you decide to go into labour there and then then they have to deal with it. The quicker they get you off site the less chance there is of you giving birth in front of them. :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: So not quite as you thought, more like self preservation on their part :laughing: