Wishing to do European work. Any advice please?

After reading much about the middle east runs of the 70’s and 80’s I’d like to try some long distance work.
I suppose nowadays the furthest UK drivers generally go is Turkey.
Can anybody tell me of any pitfalls, tell me how it works, what to watch out for, countries that are best avoided, specific laws etc… and perhaps any companys to work for around the Northampton area that run to Europe?
Any advice or help or even stories or anything would be a help to me.
Thank you in advance,
Steve.

I dont think there are even many UK drivers doing Turkey nowadays.

But you could try EM Rogers or Carr Bros (McKellar) for a bit of local shunting to Europe

Theres a company called E.M. Rogers in northampton that do euro, not sure where exactly but I know they used to do a lot in Italy, also MAM Transport (somewhere on Brackmills i think). Bit vague but hope this helps

You could try asking at this firm in Desborough:

angloturkish.co.uk

I think going to see them and asking face to face would be best for you. If you to phone them up to ask which haulage firms they use, its possible they might think you were a rival forwarders trying to pick their brains!

I would imagine they use mainly Turkish drivers and vehicles for financial reasons nowadays, but you never know - they might still have some British hauliers and owner drivers on their books who they can put you in touch with. - (After you’ve convinced them its a driving job to and from Turkey that you’re after - “and you were told that they were the best people to speak to” ) LOL

Sometimes you just need a bit of flattery (or B.S. , as appropriate) to get that first step on the ladder.

Good luck - and use the search facility or go back through the Euro forum for tales and adventures of TruckNet members abroad. - There’s loads of them!

S & K Haulage are looking for International drivers out of Barry, but will mean driving a low cab Volvo FH, think they do Italy , used to see them a lot at Campo when I was on for Sheddicks back in the 90’s