Wish you'd done something different

So, do you wish you’d done something different to lorry driving ?

And if you did, what made you stop driving, and what job did you do.?

Answer 1 NO
Answer 2 The Doctor

I started on Pickfords Heavy Haulage 1967 mating on a big outfit and in 9 months I had a Bedford T K artic 12 ton payload but I was hardly ever on it driving Highwaymen mostly either artics or ballast box tractors which I eventually got my own which was replaced by an Atkinson Viewline on leaving I did a few weeks genral haulage and left to go on tankers for the next 10 years or so then a couple of years bus driving and back on the road for Magnet Southern delivering double glazing to their shops made redundant then back on tankers for Bill Brennan redundant again and a bit of agency work then Dodds of acton but based at Sheffield depot then Syd woods Rotherham redundant again and on to Exel on Sainsburys contract which is where I finished clapped out LOL and now just the memories which seems to have wiped out the bad days only the good times remain stored away.

Would I start out now I don’t know but I always thought of it as a hobby which paid well and you were able to travel all over the U K and Europe and I was very lucky in that most of the firms I worked for were good ones a couple of bad ones but they only lasted a few days or in one case hours.
Answer 3 Do I have any regrets No

cheers Johnnie

NO SORRY , LOVE TRUCKS,LOVE THE JOB BUT AFTER TWENTY YEARS AND A 9 MONTH BAN CANT GET A JOB IN DRIVING .
SO I RETRAINED AND BECAME A CRANE SUPERVISOR GOOD MONEY ,BUT I WOULD SWOP TO GO BACK TO TRUCKING :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
REGARDS ALAN

All I ever wanted to do from a very early age was drive lorries,my dad drove lorries from before I was born. Two lorries were parked where we lived and numerous others came in and out during the day,so I grew up with them. If I started all over again I would still be a lorry driver,its in my blood,a complete anorak when it comes to lorries.
Cheers Dave.

Never thought about driving lorries until my early 20’s when I was bummin’ around all over Europe (what I call my “Hippy Days”). Seeing the odd British wagon on the continent in the late 60’s sowed the seed for me and I started driving lorries at the age of 23 (1969). Loved it!! :smiley: :smiley:

I decided to retire when I was 48 and moved out to Thailand where I am still to this day (15 years here). I was talking to a brit out here on holiday in a bar recently who told me he had been a lorry driver all his working life from the Bedford area, driving for the ‘London Brick Company’. During the conversation he said that there was obviously a fundamental difference between himself and me. He said “You drove lorries because you wanted to. I drove them because I couldn’t do anything else!!” I had not thought of it that way before but on reflection he was spot on about me. :slight_smile:

Not sure I would like to be starting out nowadays though with all the silly rules and regs.

Hiya… like every one else lorries got into my blood at a very early age (5) People say they could,nt do anything else. then after 40 or so
years you can write a book.(Truckerash)well done mate.We,ve all traveled thats the best education you can have. how many drivers
have been to places that jo public would,nt get the chance of going.I ve been to places you needed to send full personal details 48 hours
before delivery.nothing special its happened to stacks of us. parliment(chemicals).the mint.(paper) aldermaston.(chemicals) buckhouse.
submerine bases(plastic window frames)bonded warehouses all very intresting. building sites in prison(with bricks)
5 times but only stayed long enough to unload. the gatehouse man said any blunt objects on board mate i said 10,000 and smiled.
That was rampton prison nr the A1 and still full of inmates i found out they nicked a rope of my truck and later tried to get out.
A very good friend of mind was a director in Yeovil (his dad worked at Spires tsp)and wanted to retire, when i was 50 he said john you can
take things easy and do agencey work if and when…He said look at me who ever wanted a part time director.he woked another 9 years
before he finished same office same walls…I only ever did UK work so to have travelled across Europe in the 70,s and see the continent
even stuns me as i think i,ve seen alot…And the answer to your question is YES i would do it all again to see more.
John

One of my earliest memories is as a small child.about 4 or 5,standing at my grandmothers garden gate watching the lorries go by on the A420, going either to Bristol or back towards London,it must have made an impression cause all i wanted to do afterwards was get to 21 so i could “go up the road”.After passing my test i managed to get a van driving job,taking packages to the BR depot in Bristol,then got a job driving a LAD Dodge artic when i was 21,(well almost)! in 1965. after 10 years and various driving jobs around Bristol,i left my last job under a cloud,at being accused of something i was completely innoccent of,i decided to move to London and try my luck there,i took a temporary job with Thames Water laying mains,and stayed for 30yrs!.retireing in 2005 with a nice pension! i always kept my HGV,and kept my hand in. driving emergency water tankers on a 24hr stand-by rota,covering the thames water area from Kent to Wiltshire,and occasional trips further afield.
i think leaving transport when i did ,i had the best times,no phones,no tachos.no timed deliveries,virtually your own boss when you left the yard,so in my case,yes ithink i made the right decision to leave when i did,but i dont regret one minute of my time"up the road"…chris

hiya,
Started lorry driving in civilian life a couple of days after my 21st birthday but if there’d been a position for gigolo’s at that time it would have been no contest, could have driven lorries for a hobby and i would have been so rich i would have done the driving for nowt.
thanks harry long retired.