Wise life advice from the oldies to the youngens!

I know this is a truck forum, but what’s the best advice you have been given or what’s the lessons you have learned over the years? Ive just turned 25 and been renting for the last couple of years, just been to view another house for rent at 450 a month and starting to think maybe I should look at getting mortgage , main problem as with everyone is the deposit! I have a car on finance wich will be paid off in 6 months time after 5yeRs (thank god lol) !! And I’m currently paying 375 a month so I’m only paying someone else’s mortgage for them… Would I be better of getting a new build with the 5% deposits etc? Not really in tune with all that sort of stuff so don’t know where to start etc it all seems a headfart sorting everything out … Any replies appreciated as long as stobarts,angencies or foreigners don’t get involved haha cheers people !!

Never eat yellow snow.

Don’t ■■■■ in the wind :open_mouth:

Never trust a ■■■■.

I want advice from the oldens nt the youngens haha

Contraflow:
Never trust a ■■■■.

Especially olduns :wink: :wink: :wink:

Don’t wipe ya ■■■ on a broken bottle

Spend more time with the ones you love.

375 a month? I’ll have 3 please.

Always spend that little bit extra for the good toilet paper.

When talking to a member of the fairer ■■■ on the phone who you don’t know but sounds very nice I apply the following rule of thumb ‘Nice on the phone add 6 stone’

Ok, I’ll give it a try- I know it’s a lot harder now, but when I first got married in 1982 we struggled with a mortgage, but it was the best move I ever made. Always had equity in every house I’ve brought since. I rented 15 years ago (for 6 months) whilst going through a divorce (occupational hazard) & hated every payment. I couldn’t get back on the property owning ladder soon enough & found a repossession for 56k, put a 30k extension on it & paid it all off 3 years ago.
Now I’m 53 & got spare cash, not looking for the high paying/weekend work any more & even brought & paid for a Mobile Home last February.
My advice is always to try & buy, enjoy the partying when you’re young then between 25-50 ease off (a bit) after 50 with your own home paid for GO FOR IT ! Just buy shares in the right sectors to pay for it. Lol.
One last bit of advice=make a budget & keep to it, don’t spend more than you earn & always put some away for Rainy Days.
Oh ! & drink cheap Whisky with coke, save the good stuff for special occasions.

Never buy a car you can’t push

martinviking:
Ok, I’ll give it a try- I know it’s a lot harder now, but when I first got married in 1982 we struggled with a mortgage, but it was the best move I ever made. Always had equity in every house I’ve brought since. I rented 15 years ago (for 6 months) whilst going through a divorce (occupational hazard) & hated every payment. I couldn’t get back on the property owning ladder soon enough & found a repossession for 56k, put a 30k extension on it & paid it all off 3 years ago.
Now I’m 53 & got spare cash, not looking for the high paying/weekend work any more & even brought & paid for a Mobile Home last February.
My advice is always to try & buy, enjoy the partying when you’re young then between 25-50 ease off (a bit) after 50 with your own home paid for GO FOR IT ! Just buy shares in the right sectors to pay for it. Lol.
One last bit of advice=make a budget & keep to it, don’t spend more than you earn & always put some away for Rainy Days.
Oh ! & drink cheap Whisky with coke, save the good stuff for special occasions.

I’ve always rented , was in the army then met the other half and rented for the last 4 year, how do repossessions work? Do you get them a lot cheaper? , I’m currently living in hull (well 12mile outside) and I like it here in the countryside I would like to live somewhere like this but most of the places are private rent or buy , like I said I’m not clued up on this sort of stuff so don’t know where to start, im in a 2bed cottage at the minute , it’s too small for 2 people really but for £375 it is a big help as I’m not on the best of wages, and it’s not the best of places I.e damp etc, I hate moving so I would like to find a decent house and just pay it off but it’s easier said than done lol , cheers for reply mate

peter s:

That is 1 lesson I have learned, don’t get a new car on finance lol, was 20 when I got mine, nice brand new VW , the last couple of years I’ve been thinking should of waited !! lesson learned lol

1. Accept the fact that some days you’re the pigeon, and some days you’re the statue!

2. Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

3. Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.

4. Drive carefully… It’s not only cars that can be recalled by their Maker.

5. If you can’t be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

6. If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

7. It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

8. Never buy a car you can’t push.

9. Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won’t have a leg to stand on.

10. Nobody cares if you can’t dance well. Just get up and dance.

11. Since it’s the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.

12. The second mouse gets the cheese.

13. When everything’s coming your way, you’re in the wrong lane.

14. Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.

15. You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.

16. Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.

17. We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colours, but they all have to live in the same box.

18. A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

19. Have an awesome day and know that someone has thought about you today.

20. I am your friend!

*Save the earth… It’s the only planet with chocolate!

Never trust a manc. :laughing:

peter s:

:laughing: :laughing: nice one Peter,

Best advice I got off an “ole timer” was too stop jumping out of my cab cos it will eventually bugger your knees.

don’t try to eat a plate of soup in a lapdancing club,and never ever try to whistle when eating custard works fine for me…and to the budding owner drivers in here,if you want to be a millionaire in road haulage,best to start off with 2 million, :unamused:

The get a property with a mortgage option has worked out really well for people over the past 30/40 years. The main reason for this is that there has been a rise in house prices that has seen the price off the asset grow significantly. So its become a sort investment that everyoe should have.

What you need to ask yourself is will this increase in house prices continue. It’s not a given that it will. If it doesn’t renting might not be a dead option it might be sensible. You have to take into account the costs of owning the property both it’s up-keep and interest on the loan.

The mistake a lot of people make is they dont take into account the interest they have paid on the mortgage. They just say my house value has gone from £100k to £180k in the last ten years. Not strictly £80k profit if you have paid £60k in interest on your mortgage. In that 10 years they may have had new windows new kitchen etc and actually not be infront at all. Yes they still have an asset to in the house but as you always need a roof over your head not always easy to cash it in. Always look at the true cost of a mortgage including interest.

Any advice you want on anything financial just ask, used to be a financial and mortgage advisor and hapy to share knowledge. Also happy to offer advice on pensions, life assurance and savings for free if anyone wants it. Will have to stay annonomous and on here though as don’t want FSA chasing me. Happy to start another thread if u want as long as i can answer in my own time.