Wise guys

Stopped in layby East Lancs road near Walkden near Manchester, for my 45 min break, set alarm and swiftly fell asleep, only to be woken up by some very loud bangs on side of cab, i jumped up thinking [zb] i must have been alseep to long, only to find two rough looking old guys stood by passenger door so i reached for my trusty mini baseball bat just in case & lowered the window, old guy number one says in a strong Irish accent “sorry to trouble you sir but we have nearly run out of diesel could you LEND us a gallon or two so they could get to the next petrol station”, so I said do you have a can or drum to put it in, his face lit up with a big smile oh yes hear it is, the other old guy holds up a 25 litre drum,
Great i said if you walk back about a hundred yards & turn left their is a 24 hour petrol station iam sure could help you out. Needless to say they both gave me loads of verble kicked the the wheels & battery box & stormed off. WHO says us truck drivers can`t be helpfull. I still smile to self everytime i think of the look on his face when he held up his 25 ltr drum.

If it needs doctoring to get it past he word censor, it’s not allowed! L. :wink:

Simalar thing happened to me as I was unloading on an industrial estate, as I was a new driver I’d never seen this before. Luckily I was with another driver who sorted things out.

Thats no way to treat a gypsy…what about his human rights of free diesel whenever he needs it…and a free camp site…you could have been more helpful :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …always thought of having a spare tank of what looks like diesel but would blow his block off…that would teach them…scroungers…or tell them they can have as much as they like for £5 a gallon…

truckyboy:
Thats no way to treat a gypsy…what about his human rights of free diesel whenever he needs it…and a free camp site…you could have been more helpful :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …always thought of having a spare tank of what looks like diesel but would blow his block off…that would teach them…scroungers…or tell them they can have as much as they like for £5 a gallon…

:laughing:

On my first job as a shunter about 10 years ago I had the same thing, a car pulled in to the yard at about 10pm, the driver asks in a strong irish accent if he can have a few ltr’s to get him home. I had to say no as all the fuel was closely monitored and we were on CCTV, the thing that really annoyed me was he was driving a brand new top of the range 5 series BMW. And there was me driving around in an old banger having to work 2 jobs to make ends meet :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I did have one come up to me in an ■■■■■■ van, and he told me that he was running low on diesel blah blah blah…

I said “Yeah. That’ll be because of that 45 gallon drum you’re having to drag about mate”

That shut him right up.

Quite often, the story they tell is they cannot buy diesel as they only have euros, these now being the currency of the Irish Republic, and the filling station won’t accept euros so can they have some diesel?

I always say “No, but I’ll change euros for Sterling. As much as you want and I’ll give you a good rate”.

Funnily enough, this never seems to be what they want to hear, and they end up going away empty handed.

Vince

truckyboy:
they can have as much as they like for £5 a gallon…

But that’s not so far off the real cost these days :exclamation: :exclamation:

I’ve tried similar; “The boss monitors the fuel closely mate, more than me jobs worth etc. I’d risk it for fiver a litre if you’re that desperate.”

You can guess what happens then!! :wink: And it don’t involve me getting any fivers!!

It doesn’t matter what excuse you give, if you don’t give them any diesel they will usually come back later to get it when you’re asleep.

There’s no easy way round it unfortunately. The best thing you can do is move to another location. If your card’s already out, just hope and start praying that they’ll leave you alone! :open_mouth:

They can come back all they want, i had a new scania R series, remove the fuel cap look inside and the inlet at the bottom i a fixed grill, you cant get any pipe in that would make the effort to ■■■■ out fuel worth while.

nomad98:
They can come back all they want, i had a new scania R series, remove the fuel cap look inside and the inlet at the bottom i a fixed grill, you cant get any pipe in that would make the effort to ■■■■ out fuel worth while.

they can easliy make a new hole in the tank to put the pipe in :wink: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

When i was working for a Swedish firm , i used to arrive at Ashford truckstop at around 5 or 6am, after starting around 6pm the night before. This was a regular run between 4 English drivers for the Gothenboug firm.Around 2 or 3pm i had had the shower and dinner and was in the process of sweeping the cab out when a transit van advertising tarmac laying and driveways laid, pulled up, right next to me, and a young lad around 17 or 18 jumped out asking me if i could “spare a couple of gallons of diesel to get them to the garage?”, i replied "sorry mate, i drive for a Swedish company from Gothenburg, and the truck im driving is a prototype for Volvo…EVERYTHING including how many times i put my foot on the clutch and put my indicators on etc gets relayed back to Volvo in Sweden. Total crap, but as the adress written on the side of the truck said Gothenbourg, Sweden, how was he to know any different, that was assuming he could read at all :laughing:
The only reason i spoke to him in English is because i had a short sleeve T-Shirt on, and ive got a Union Jack tattoo, otherwise i would have done my best impression of the Swedish chef from the Muppets!!
But he still went on about how low their van was for diesel, he even offerd me £10 a gallon, as they were so low and so skint they couldnt risk driving anywhere else in case they ran out of fuel,… i pointed 20 yards away and suggested that they went to the garage the other side of the fence which they passed on their way in and buy their diesel there :confused: . When i said that, he accused me of threatining him with my brush that i was sweeping my floor out with :open_mouth: i kid you not! a little brush around 12 inches long, and this ■■■■■ said to me “dont point that brush at me, you think youre hard with that brush in your hand, but i"ll tell you this, you want a go, come and have a go, but i promise you, before you have even lifted your brush up and pointed it at me, i will have decked you!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: i just sort of looked at him as if to say"what you on about you muppet,” than he jumped in his van with his mates and drove over to another truck, and 10mins later they had their pipe in this poor unsuspecting souls tank.
I did tell the bods in reception, and the bods on security , even got to speak to the site manager, he didnt seem the slightest interested though, just said ok monseiur, merci. This was around 1999

Denis F:

nomad98:

they can easliy make a new hole in the tank to put the pipe in :wink: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Yeah, they’ve already tried it on one of our trucks. The stupid thing is that a, the cap was unlocked and b, after they got the first half a litre of red out they let the other 100 litres drain out into the road as they obviously didn’t want it then! AND they moaned to the police that we were running on red… Alas the police didnt take his details :frowning:

PS. Its a crane thingie

i used to get it those lay bys just of j23a m1 at loughboro can i buy a fivers worth of diesal driver with big drum and a hidden pump… no .
like you said there is service station just behind you.

I had broken down on the M25 when they had the cheek to ask me for diesel…sorry mat …just ran out of the stuff…they soon disappeared…i hadnt really but thought of the quip on the spur of the moment…