Winter

Hi as a new driver what do the harder class 1 drivers have with them and how do you drive differently in bad weather strong winds rain ice and snow

Smoothly

Slow down

Do you carry salt one driver told me to buy a bag

drivergraham:

and a shovel

drivergraham:

Only for your lunch, plenty council filled grit boxes to raid. And what haulage company doesn’t keep a stock for the yard?

As stated above, just slow down and take it easy, drive to the conditions as a professional should do.

Edit I can’t wait for some snow it was pretty bad with snow when I passed my C+E this year 25th January. It didn’t effect my performance although it dunted my attitude the morning of my test and thought I would fail but didn’t :laughing:

drivergraham:
…what do the harder class 1 drivers have with them…

Same stuff as the soft as [zb] drivers, but also a knuckleduster and some weights.

Also, a shovel might be the difference between getting home or spending a night or two in the tundra.

Cup a soups.

I carry couple extra meals for the microwave tins are a good option there more drink few more bits of warm clothing and snow chains.

As for driving slow down take your time. If not happy in the conditions pull over and park up no load is worth the risk and can always be re booked. Dont use cruise control and engine brake if icey/snowy. If in an auto put it in manual

Ryy86:

drivergraham:

Only for your lunch, plenty council filled grit boxes to raid. And what haulage company doesn’t keep a stock for the yard?

As stated above, just slow down and take it easy, drive to the conditions as a professional should do.

Edit I can’t wait for some snow it was pretty bad with snow when I passed my C+E this year 25th January. It didn’t effect my performance although it dunted my attitude the morning of my test and thought I would fail but didn’t :laughing:

Wait until you get to a little slope you normally don’t even notice and you got to diff lock it , dump your air , get your t/c off and jam your lovely auto gearbox in manual to get up it because of the snow , then a car drive will cut you up just as you reach the top and you get stuck again , oh happy days are the sunshine ones :smiley:

Take an Eskimo with me.

Do haulage companies have an obligation under H&S laws to keep their yards safe in winter ie: clear snow and ice?

I carry a bag of cat litter , couple of handfuls chucked under the drives can get you out of bother .

Warm clothes,good sleeping bag,matches & newspaper & a shovel.Spanners ,spare bulbs & deisel filters. The matches & newspaper were for when ,on the old Volvo’s ,ice used to block the steel airpipe on the bend from the reservoir.Used to have a can of instant-start to blow down the airlines if you picked up a trailer.

typo

Take everything gentle, steering, accelerator an brakes. I try not to have to brake at all, planning ahead is key. Fresh snow is ok to drive in, ice is a nightmare and it can appear pretty randomly. A trailer number plate has dug me out a few places, have a folding shovel now below my bunk.

Fergi:
Do haulage companies have an obligation under H&S laws to keep their yards safe in winter ie: clear snow and ice?

I know bus companies play it by ear, if there is a likelihood of accidents or damage they assess the local area (mainly driver feed back) and act upon that.
But as a haulier can operate countrywide it could be difficult.
I think common sense and driver sense is the key :sunglasses:

If c+e and its icy turn off the engine brake as you can jackknife

Fergi:

No. No. And in fact Hell No.

If they try to clear it and someone goes over they are liable.

If they leave it and someone goes over, the bloke on the floor is an idiot.

That is the law of the land.

To clear a frosty wndscreen, throw cold water over it. It will freeze again but you will at least be moving & let the heater take over. In France,you will get muddy slush on the road & it soon dries blocks your screen. Keep all heat away from the screen & it will stay wet & your wipers will clear it.

Spare cables for jump start. Of course all of the above is for international driving. For UK all you need is your phone!