Winter tyes in Sweden

Dirty Dan:
Hi howe dose ur truck look like? Im quite often in those parts :smiley: Maby ill can spott u :smiley: I drive a scania T cab and have a low loader at the back. Its two color of yellow and red :smiley: :smiley:
Have good trip!

mb14:

Dirty Dan:
Hi! I´m a swedish truck driver so i hope i know what i´m talk about :wink: The law is that u have to have 5millimetre deep pattern on all tyres,but if u drive one that in our roads in the winter u are in real troubble…So what u nead is some propper winter tyres who is “soft” i meen tyres that don`t get hard when its cold!And if u travel just the maine road,they are most of the time verry good road maintenance :smiley: So were do you of/on load in sundbruk? Metso factory? Or maby Tunadal factory?
Reg Danne

mb14:
Hi all had my 1st trip to Sweden (Sundsvall)last week,talking to the locals the snow is not far away-is it law to have winter tyes come the winter

We mainly go to Hallstahammar/Vasteras (going again tomorrow) i did load paper at Sundsval.I do have winter tyres for my car(go sking in Austria every year )and i do know about our “normal tyres” just going hard when the temperature drops.My boss doesnt want to know when i mention it,my FH is only 3 months old so newish tyres with good depth of tread,but the blocks on the tyres are close together and i know will be crap in the snow-i spin in the wet very easily.Mark

Plain white fh with blue trailer will look out for you

Heavy vehicles and winter tyres
Heavy vehicles are not required to use winter tyres, but should have tyres with the right tread depth (5 millimeters). The Swedish Transport Agency still recommend the use of winter tyres during winter road conditions.

Hello!

Hope your day have been good!

I can tell you the fact Swedish winter tyres didn’t help much if we have heavy blizzards and 60 ton Lorry and trailer wants to go steep uphill on E4 in 20 cm deep snow. If there isn’t good maintains they got stuck and kilometres of queues of different cars/lorries will be sitting. A recovery Lorry will be required or the Trafikverket use a Lorry with sand and lay this out on the way. Then they take sand and spread it behind the rear axles. Swedish drivers use to hiss the last axle to get more pressure on driveable. Maintenance on winter means ploughing, salting and sanding. I live in Sundsvall and there is same heady and long climbing’s for all types of Lorries. 40 tons can go a bit longer but then they got stuck too. If E4 is well maintained and ploughed there is no problem. It is north about Sundsvall the heavy climbs begins and is lesser from Örnsköldsvil — UmeÃ¥.- LuleÃ¥. My experience of driving during winter is E4 can be both wet and dry. It depends of if they have spread salt lately.

Then the first Lorry is helped and gone next Lorry as is standing before the hill begin to skid and even this Lorry is stuck. Why? Yes, you drivers know the drive tyre of the high rotation become warm. When you then want your Lorry to go it is ice beneath the drive wheel. But is there very 10-15 degrees below zero cold the melting beneath the drive wheel is lesser because the wheels cools down faster or the air into the tire didn’t be so warm. I’m no driver but I read our local News and got information but some of that I wrote have I real experience of such as warm air in the tyre.

Best driving way is in Sweden’s inland where they seldom use salt only plough and spread sand sometimes and it is both hard-pressed snow and ice but you are surrounding of white snow and green woods and some read coloured houses and a beautiful drive using of course winter tyres. And you have easier look at the way you drive than a wet E4 as locks dark when you drive in the dark.

All the best
Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

I live in Austria our winters are not as bad as sweden but your supposed to have witer tyres on the drive axle or they dish out fines but I think not sure if you have chains with you your ok but check it, i would imagine in sweden if you have chains with you they may forgive you, as before down in Austria they can stop you if it’s too risky to carry on to where you are going

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to point out. Don’t go to northern Sweden, Norway or Finland with a 2 axel or a pusher without winter tires!!! I’m tired of people standing in the middle of a hill blocking all traffic.

Yesterday a 2 axel truck trying to go up on Haukeli Fjell Norway, maybe 6% hill getting stuck in the middle blocking the traffic so i had to stop. Got it moving by little margin again with tag lifted and diff lock.
Week before that in Slussfors Sweden same thing, but that time i was loaded with 50tons+ total so had to use chains on a hill that normally would have been no problem at all.

Every week it’s the same, some truck standing with hazards on.

The prescription for driving in the winter is: Winter tires on at least the drive + steering, on 2 of the trailers axle and you are defiantly safe. And not some south European winters that goes had with temperatures below zero.
To be really safe tag is the answer, 19t on the drive and diff lock. You can go so far that when it stops it usually starts to roll backwards if your not fast enough out to throw a chain behind the wheel.
Ohyeah, forget economy driving, revs on 1500+ when climbing, you don’t want to lose the power when the wheels slip and you have to let of + speed!!

Hi all had my 1st trip to Sweden (Sundsvall)last week,talking to the locals the snow is not far away-is it law to have winter tyes come the winter

mb14:

no sure about tyres mate i was in gothenburg last week run to stockholm i do no u dont need snow chains unlike norway which are a pain in arse to fit :imp: :imp: :imp:

mb14:

where you driving a yellow scania with a blue tautliner parked up in stockholm or a black daf with a white box trailer the only 2 brits i saw

No mate was in a place called Stromnasbruk white Volvo blue trl what a fantastic country though cant wait to go back.

I did Ludvika and some other place I forgot the name of about a month ago. They said they have 2 stages of Winter. One that lasts around 2 weeks, then the big one! :open_mouth: They all said they use spiked tyres to cope.

Hi mb14. I think it really depends on how much you will be coming to Sweden in the winter,and where you are going to.If you are coming a few times,and staying in the southern half you may as well just have tyres with a good tread and carry a set of snow chains to get you out of trouble.If you are coming to the northern parts then you should seriously consider investing in a set of ‘‘proper scandinavian’’ winter tyres.We only use studded tyres here in the north on trucks,mostly for local traffic.I will be fitting my studded tyres on my pick up next week as we already have the first frosts and light snowfalls.
The problem with '‘european winter’'tyres is that they are no good in really icy and cold conditions as the rubber compound is too hard.The are designed for a bit of extra grip,without losing any mileage,you still expect 300,000kms with them.If we fit ''proper winter tyres we only get,maybe 120 to 150000kms,Thats maybe 2 winters,fitting in October,taking off in May.
Just remember plenty of warm clothes,a shovel,torch,food,etc.take care.Mike

hutpik:
Hi mb14. I think it really depends on how much you will be coming to Sweden in the winter,and where you are going to.If you are coming a few times,and staying in the southern half you may as well just have tyres with a good tread and carry a set of snow chains to get you out of trouble.If you are coming to the northern parts then you should seriously consider investing in a set of ‘‘proper scandinavian’’ winter tyres.We only use studded tyres here in the north on trucks,mostly for local traffic.I will be fitting my studded tyres on my pick up next week as we already have the first frosts and light snowfalls.
The problem with '‘european winter’'tyres is that they are no good in really icy and cold conditions as the rubber compound is too hard.The are designed for a bit of extra grip,without losing any mileage,you still expect 300,000kms with them.If we fit ''proper winter tyres we only get,maybe 120 to 150000kms,Thats maybe 2 winters,fitting in October,taking off in May.
Just remember plenty of warm clothes,a shovel,torch,food,etc.take care.Mike

Thanks for that,we really are only going in the south, my truck is only 6 weeks old so good tread,but because its twin steer i loose traction easily even in the wet,we do carry chains as well-and always plenty of food i envy you living in such a great place hoping to be back next week,Mark

try this LINK

Hi! I´m a swedish truck driver so i hope i know what i´m talk about :wink: The law is that u have to have 5millimetre deep pattern on all tyres,but if u drive one that in our roads in the winter u are in real troubble…So what u nead is some propper winter tyres who is “soft” i meen tyres that don`t get hard when its cold!And if u travel just the maine road,they are most of the time verry good road maintenance :smiley: So were do you of/on load in sundbruk? Metso factory? Or maby Tunadal factory?
Reg Danne

mb14:

Dirty Dan:
Reg Danne

mb14:

We mainly go to Hallstahammar/Vasteras (going again tomorrow) i did load paper at Sundsval.I do have winter tyres for my car(go sking in Austria every year )and i do know about our “normal tyres” just going hard when the temperature drops.My boss doesnt want to know when i mention it,my FH is only 3 months old so newish tyres with good depth of tread,but the blocks on the tyres are close together and i know will be crap in the snow-i spin in the wet very easily.Mark

Hi howe dose ur truck look like? Im quite often in those parts :smiley: Maby ill can spott u :smiley: I drive a scania T cab and have a low loader at the back. Its two color of yellow and red :smiley: :smiley:
Have good trip!

mb14:

Dirty Dan:
Reg Danne

mb14: