Windscreen wash problem

Hi

I am here under somewhat false pretenses as I’m not a professional driver, but I do need some help with my newly acquired horsebox please.

The washer fluid takes so long to come up to the jets that the wiper blades are splitting from passing on a dry screen. (Think bugs and dust in summer!). I can hear the washer motor working and the fluid does eventually appear although it is a very weak jet.
The box is on a Daf LF45-150 chassis, 53 plate. Is there a known fault/fix on these please, or does anyone have a suggestion of how I can improve the situation.

Many thanks

Caroline

ps. I am sure there will be other questions along the way and I have found this forum to be an interesting source of info already!

I’d suggest you take the hose off the wipers and see how much water comes through. If it’s a decent flow then more likely the nozzles on blades are blocked. Could try poking with a needle to dislodge any crud in there.

Ps . Lift wipers off screen whilst doing these little checks so don’t damage them when dry. They will lift away from screen quite away and stay there.

If the screen wash is taking along time to come up and you have no leaks in the pipe then it’s probably the pump letting it run back in to the bottle ,if this is the case you could fit a universal pump inline in to the pipe ,they’re avalible from most commercial motor factors .

I fitted a non return valve for an aquarium air pump in my hose (on car) which stops the fluid dropping back. Seems to do the trick. Was only a couple of £ from local aquarium supplies.

Or an in-line non return valve just after the pump (pick one up at halfords, a motor factors or ebay)

If there is pressure from the pump and it’s coming out the jets ok (eventually) then it’s most likely the in-built non return valve has stuck open anyway

edit: chr15walk3r77 beat me to it (just) :smiley:

there is a filter on the bottle outlet ,pull the pipe out and you should see it,It gets full of gunge

Thank you all for the replies - will go and have a look at the filter and look at the non return valve option.

If you know anyone with a compressor ask them to blast the ■■■■■■■ and hoses to clear them out :smiley:

alder:
If you know anyone with a compressor ask them to blast the ■■■■■■■ and hoses to clear them out :smiley:

I.ve just done this on mine this morning and a load of black sludge came out, must be something in the water :open_mouth:

Used to get sludge in the days of using washing up liquid in the system.

Fincham:
Used to get sludge in the days of using washing up liquid in the system.

and never ever use washing up liquid as screen wash it will gum the system up completely

Thanks everyone - tackled this today. Copious amounts of gunge in the tank and the filter pretty much impassable. Blew out the hoses with compressed air, cleaned the filter and then the tank with a bottle brush. All back together, new wipers and job’s a good’un!

cazmal:
Thanks everyone - tackled this today. Copious amounts of gunge in the tank and the filter pretty much impassable. Blew out the hoses with compressed air, cleaned the filter and then the tank with a bottle brush. All back together, new wipers and job’s a good’un!

Well TNUK hasn’t saved the planet yet, but it’s a start people!

Glad it’s sorted for you pal! :smiley:

In over 50 years of driving, I’ve yet to find a decent screenwash solution. A shower of rain cleans the windscreen best