Windows XP.

Is anyone else still running Windows XP on their PC. Microsoft security support ends today. I just wondered if anyone else use it, and what else can replace it.
Cheers Dave.

Still xp till wknd then my lad guna install windows 7

scotstrucker:
Still xp till wknd then my lad guna install windows 7

The chap that sorts my PC out told me not to worry about it. I think I will go down the same route as yourself, and get another version installed.
Cheers Dave.

that’s why microsoft have stopped suporting XP, they want your cash by forcing us to upgrade the OP. they’d be ■■■■■■ if we all went out and bought macs!!

Or used (free) Linux. Linuxmint Cinnamon 64bit is really good now.

wayder:
Or used (free) Linux. Linuxmint Cinnamon 64bit is really good now.

Never heard of it !
what is it and what does it do pardon my ignorance

It’s an open source GUI operating system, similar to windows or apple but you can get all the software for free or nearly free.

I initially bought a new HDD, swapped it out with my existing HDD and installed Linux on it. This meant I could configure and play with Linux but still have my windows system available while I was playing.

Initially it’s a steep learning curve, but there are lots of resources and tutorials on the interweb and if you spend the same amount of time to learn it as you did with windows, it’s easy.

Still using XP on my laptops and main pc. Not planning on upgrading unless I buy a new laptop/PC.

Don’t worry about “End of support”
The Anti-virus vendors are still supporting it
All the browser vendors still support XP (Except Microsoft) (Chrome, Opera, Firefox, I’m using Pale Moon which is derived from Firefox)
My own machine has XP, Win 7, and Kubuntu (Ubuntu with the KDE desktop, Linux) Also has Win98se which with the current hardware, doesn’t work. Shame really as it was my favourite O/S
My machine is quite old but I update things as they break down and there is no way Win8 is infecting my machine!!

To keep things running on my computer I use “Spybot Search and Destroy” “Malwarebytes Antimalware” and “Easycleaner”.

I still have an XP machine and am not worrying yet. XP is still a fairly secure system, that is why so many businesses still use it. If you use Microsoft Security Essentials, you can still get updates up until July 2015, but use another virus checker alongside, such as AVG, Avast or Avira. I get Kaspersky Internet Security free from my bank and it works very well, I have several machines that run XP, Vista and even Windoze 7. I have got a new Windows 8 disc but don’t particularly want to upgrade to that yet.

One of my desktop machines runs XP, safe secure and very stable, it is the Black Edition which is slipstreamed but runs amazingly fast, I have no intention of changing the os on that, I am using Win 7 on another and Ubuntu on a laptop alongside Win 7.
There is so much support away from Microsloth still for XP anyway that people will be playing with it for many many years to come.

I got me a Mac mini for £470,- from Amazon.
Can take on Traveling with me and connect it to any Tv
Its running newest OS,but i also had to buy me a new Optical Drive,Wireless Keyboard and Mouse,to operate them from other Side of Room,or from Bed. :slight_smile:
2.5 Ghz Cpu
4 Gb Ram i will upgrade to 16 Gb
500 Gb Harddrive and 2 External Hard Drives.