Wind

Starting at Nottingham, Finish in ipswich then return.

That A14 gets rather windy. Should i tie the curtians back whilst empty or will it damage the roof?

The only time i’ve ever tied the curtains back is when i could open the back doors too and tie the whole lot securely, just be careful where you do this cos a smack in the chops from a curtain pole with the power of that huge sail behind it isn’t going to be funny.

If i left the curtains pulled i made sure they were as tight as practicable.

I get em’ as tight as I can & drive to the conditions, ie slow down if you have to or even stop. (A lot cheaper than turning one over !)

If there’s any corrosion or damage on the roof, the wind will have great fun ripping it off.

Tbh if it was bad enough to be dangerous I’d seriously think about parking up. Having said that, this is the real world etc where that isn’t always an option; so to that end I’d (as mentioned) get the curtains as tight as poss and take it easy. I wouldn’t however tie the curtains back as I’ve seen a few over the years with the roofs peeled back like a tin of sardines!

Edit to add; just seen Martins post as I submitted. Pretty much as he says too.

I would only ever attempt this if conditions where attrocious with reports of vehicles going over (probably today then).

Consider using internal straps to secure the roof (haven’t tried it so not sure how affective they will be, or even if they will hold tight), probably play quite a tune going down the road though.

Curtain poles need wedging in as well.

But if I was at the point of considering it I would also be considering parking up and not moving till things had eased off.
The effort involved + risk of self harm + risk to others with roof loss + conditions = Bollox to it I aint moving the trailer till tomorrow.

As mentioned probably better to get them curtains as tight as possible and stop regularly to re-tighten.

Liveish updates:
mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk … es-2963126

Park it up drive it’s not worth the risk

Talking of wind, the Kingsey Road in Thame has been shut for several days due to “unsafe scaffolding.” Can they not get the scaffs out the of the pub to make it safe (once the wind drops)?

Looks like the Britannia Bridge to Anglesey is closed to HGV’s.

Seen a few with the curtains tied back today and both had 2 straps holding the roof down was a tad windy on the way back from widnes this afternoon.

Let’s hope Bicester Village blows away.

Muckaway:

One of the nicest shopping days out we’ve ever had, no baseball hats chavs or other undesirables, serious looking security lurking about, only place in Britain i’ve seen people parking convertibles in public parking spaces in recent years and leaving the roofs down.

More power to their elbow i say, if solvent people feel safe and secure they come relax and spend, whats not to like?

Tie the curtains back and strap the roof down imo.

Juddian:

Muckaway:

One of the nicest shopping days out we’ve ever had, no baseball hats chavs or other undesirables, serious looking security lurking about, only place in Britain i’ve seen people parking convertibles in public parking spaces in recent years and leaving the roofs down.

More power to their elbow i say, if solvent people feel safe and secure they come relax and spend, whats not to like?

Bicester Village is due to expand in the near future as well, they have bought the Tesco next door to it. I like a day out there shopping as well, it’s nice when it ain’t raining.

Juddian:

Muckaway:

The place rides roughshod regarding planning permissions, always get what they want at the expense of the rest of Bicester. Why do people think somewhere that charges €300 for handbags, shoes etc is a tourist attraction? Very popular with Chinkies that have no clue when it comes to crossing the road. They’re like soy sauce sheep who just walk across infront of you outside the Esso garage.

“soy sauce sheep” , do you mean suicidal by chance ? :laughing:

Muckaway,

I was at Bicester Village about 8 PM this Boxing Day just gone and you couldn’t move for ‘them’!

What annoys me there is that ‘they’ have a dedicated tax return office set up for them on site now, but still insist on standing at counters holding everybody else up while they fill out their forms!

It’s a nice morning/afternoon out, but at the prices for most of the year, definitely more of a ‘tourist attraction’ than a ‘shopping trip’.

I’ve never been to Bicester what’s the trouble with the place and who are they?

Tipper Tom:
I’ve never been to Bicester what’s the trouble with the place and who are they?

Bicester Village is a retail outlet centre allegedly selling designer gear at discount prices. Famous for Bank Holiday travel chaos between Bicester and the M40 J9, the A41 becomes a great place for spotting the Ffarquarhs, the Smythes and the Lord and Lady Fox-Hunts all out to get a handbag for “only” a three digit figure. On normal days, coach loads of Orientals try to commit mass Hari Kari by walking across the road infront of passing traffic, stopping to photograph such sites as the Burger King at the Esso garage.
Bicester Village do provide employment for the local window lickers who want to become police officers by giving them a hi viz jacket and walkie talkie, and post them at random locations to annoy delivery drivers.
Exited to say the local army garrison also bring variety to the mix when they stop an entire convoy because one of their clapped out ro ro Leylands have broken down, carrying nothing on it’s back.

Unacceptable