Wind - when to call it off

I’m a new driver of just 6 months experience although I’ve already had a few hairy moments from strong winds.

With a couple of storms 70mph winds due to hit the U.K. this week, I’m wondering when is it unsafe to go out in a HGV?

Any suggestions or advice

If it helps, I know of a bridge where they close it to “high-sided vehicles” any time the winds are > 40 MPH, so I’d suggest if the winds are forecast to be in excess of 40 MPH along your route, you might want to re-consider.

If it is gusty, reduce your speed as this will help.

Talk to your company/customer, too, and let them know what is going on. Better to be late than laid on your side!

With the majority of companies when you are laying on your side is when it’s time to call it unsafe.

I do think over certain wind speeds they should not be allowed to send trucks out on the roads.

mjallby:
I do think over certain wind speeds they should not be allowed to send trucks out on the roads.

+1

I found this thread, too: trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=167422

Every situation with the weather is different. It would depend on vehicle/trailer type, load and where you are in relation to the weather. Is it a curtainsider with a light load, is a fridge with a heavy load? Are you heading into bad weather heading away from bad weather? All variables but if you know some of these things it can help.

If its a curtain of any kind always make sure its done as tight as possible to avoid the curtain acting like a big sail. If you have a fridge/box trailer with heavy load it will be more stable but don’t be complacent. Wind doesn’t have to tip you over to cause problems. A gust big enough to move you sideways can cause just as much an issue.

Always check the weather and traffic for your area and where your headed before setting off to help make any judgements you see fit and if YOU and YOU alone don’t feel its safe then park up (away from trees if possible) and call it in. Sod the heros and moaning planners. No load is worth it and I know I’d rather have a driver sack it for a night out than push on and wreck a unit/trailer/load or worse still hurt themselves.

It all comes down to experience which you will get in time. Until you have that experience always ere on the side of caution and trust yourself that if you don’t feel safe then YOU make that decision. Best of luck mate, looks like we’re in for a wild week!

Your boss will almost never say it’s unsafe for you to do anything, but you will probably be looked at in a negative light if you don’t do it when all the other drivers do.
It does depend on what sort of work you’re doing as to how much the wind will affect you. Running at max weight, having a low centre of gravity or doing urban work will see you being knocked about a hell of a lot less than if you’re running 15 foot empty curtainsiders over the M62

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

We are in an area of unsafe roads, close to the Humber and Ouse Bridge they close it now if an asthmatic seagull flies past the control point. The alternative routes has now got long term roadworks with a single lane operation. decisions have been taken out of the drivers hands on route planning, road closures and diversions. some high loads are more stable than others dependant on axle configuration, tyre sizes, trailer type.

If in doubt flat out and hang on for dear life!!! [emoji12][emoji23]

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

And tbh if your gonna get blown over there isn’t a great deal you could do about it tbh. If the wind is gonna blow you over your going over and that’s that.

I’d bet the percentage of trucks that get blown over is very small. Probably something stupid like 0.01%. but you could be that minority at any time in strong winds.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t driving fast limit the wind ? I mean if your stationary on bridge wouldn’t that be worse then being in motion, my thought was your truck would knife its way thru

TruckDriverBen:
Wouldn’t driving fast limit the wind ? I mean if your stationary on bridge wouldn’t that be worse then being in motion, my thought was your truck would knife its way thru

No. It’s about dynamic stability. A vehicle in motion is more likely to be blown over than one that is stationary.

There is a combination of kinetic energy, sprung vs. unsprung mass, interaction of the vehicle suspension, and steering angle.

The faster a vehicle travels, the closer to the coefficient of grip you approach to keep the vehicle tracking in a straight line. As you increase speed, more steering angle is required to correct. The increased kinetic energy compresses the suspension to a greater extent, allowing increased body roll in the undesired direction, and the combination, coupled with bouncing due to uneven road surface and a natural tendency for side-loaded masses to try and roll, all conspire to roll the vehicle. Add a poorly timed wind gust, and it blows over.

Other situations, such as cornering too quickly, can also assist the wind in rolling the vehicle. It’s imperative you reduce speed (reduce kinetic energy).

back in the 1980’s,when a lot of us were on CB radio’s,including S Yorks police, they’d be shouting to us to in box van trailers to shield curtainsiders going over Tinsley viaduct.they sometimes diverted traffic off the viaduct then back on at the next junction…but when you’ve got 2 trips from North Kilworth to Dewsbury you didn’t have time :laughing:

Thanks for the reply’s and all the advice.

I drive an 18t, 12’10” box truck which gets battered about especially when empty. The main issue is being pushed out of a lane rather than being blown over.

I got some good advice from a more experienced driver who said drive slower as it improves your reaction time.

I’m out again tomorrow in storm Eunice, travelling around N Yorkshire where there are lots of open areas with farmers fields on both sides of the road.

:frowning:

Omega:
Thanks for the reply’s and all the advice.

I drive an 18t, 12’10” box truck which gets battered about especially when empty. The main issue is being pushed out of a lane rather than being blown over.

I got some good advice from a more experienced driver who said drive slower as it improves your reaction time.

I’m out again tomorrow in storm Eunice, travelling around N Yorkshire where there are lots of open areas with farmers fields on both sides of the road.

:frowning:

take your time and look out for the best field to end up in :laughing:

seriously though…hope all goes well mate!

Technically speaking curtains are weather protection so just make sure your load is waterproof and strap them down and drive with curtains opened so long as they are tied

It will reduce wind effect

TruckDriverBen:
Technically speaking curtains are weather protection so just make sure your load is waterproof and strap them down and drive with curtains opened so long as they are tied

It will reduce wind effect

No.
Wind can get under the roof and take it off the body if you run with side sheets open. The body is not designed for such use.

Sheets may or may not be part of the load restraint. On XL trailers the side sheets alone will hold a load if it is a positive fit.