Wind Turbine Transport (w/photos)

Here’s a bit of “Blade Runner” action from my last job for those of you that like abnormal loads.

I was going to a diary with all the ins and outs but I’m on the look out for something else right now as well as studying for some courses and couldn’t bring myself to do a full write up.

Should be a few more to follow shortly.

Give2.JPG

Give3.JPG

Give4.JPG

Give9.JPG

Give11.JPG

Give12.JPG

Give13.JPG

Give14.JPG

Give15.JPG

Give16.JPG

Will bang a few more up later if anyone’s interested in seeing how these so called “eyesores” get moved.

Give17.JPG

Give18.JPG

Give19.JPG

Give20.JPG

Give21.JPG

Give22.JPG

Give23.JPG

Give27.JPG

Give28.JPG

Give10.JPG

Did turbine mast sections and blades myself a couple of times on agency for Mammoet taking them from Hull docks over to Ireland must be nearly 20 years ago. They were a bit smaller than that though, I’d say the blades were probably around half the size.

Great pics Duck, keep em coming! :smiley:

very interesting, thanks for taking the time to do it for us :smiley:

the longest I have ever done was 144 foot, on a 100 foot triple extender (yes that’s an over hang longer than your average trailer) not wind turbines though they were pilings. that was enough of a pain in the arse, I wouldn’t like to attempt some of these 300 foot sails that are getting moved now… pic below of the 144 foot

This reminds me, any one see one of the turbines on M6 (Midlands) area today with the turbine on the crane being slowly lowered?

I’d love to give this sort of stuff a shot

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

The longest blades on this job were 55M or 180’ so not the biggest on the market but a fair size for onshore. The 300 foot sails that you speak of are most likely for offshore turbines but things didn’t work out for me with the company so I didn’t get a chance to do any of that type of thing on harbour transport, just onshore projects.

For those of you that might think it’s a cool or glamourous job you may well be disappointed. It can be a real slog at times and unlike general haulage where you’re kind of your own boss with this type of thing I think you’ve really got to be able to get along with the other members of the crew which is often easier said than done when you’re all hungry, tired, aggravated and living in each other’s pocket. Anybody who has worked for a crane hire company and lived out of the back of an ■■■■■■ van or support vehicle will know what I mean! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Best mates could quite easily start throwing punches at each other when the ■■■■ hits the fan!

So, if anyone out there is looking for a “windmill driver” or mobile crane op. give me a shout! I’m going for my appointed person course in the near future and trying to look for something as an alternative to driving but it’s easier said than done. Cranes seem like the best option for the moment but time will tell.

It can be a real slog at times and unlike general haulage where you’re kind of your own boss with this type of thing I think you’ve really got to be able to get along with the other members of the crew which is often easier said than done when you’re all hungry, tired, aggravated and living in each other’s pocket.

What he said above, 100%, once you start to get into stupid lengths, Width or weights it becomes a team effort, as a driver your just part of the team, if your not a team player then you wont last long at all in this game. It a different world, and not paid that much more than running RDC to RDC, but if your part of the team, then the challenge of the job, and the comadarie of your mates, makes it one of the best jobs in the world

One for the Collett fans…

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43979&hilit=+scoutmoor