Wincanton

Has anybody worked for wincanton on the hope materials contract? Iv been asked to attend an interview and from what the manager said on the phone it sounds like a good job but as we all know what the manager says and what the job is are 2 different things so I thought I’d ask you lovely folk… I applied for it a while ago when I just passed my class 1 and they have only just got back in touch with me and in the meantime iv took a job at stobarts to get some experience… I realise it may be a bit early for me to move on and the job I have with stobarts is ok but a few things do my head in like the constant cab hopping and waiting around in the morning for units… the manager on the phone said I’d get my own truck and I’d be on a better rate with them so naturally it’s gonna appeal to me but to be honest I was being tipped at the time and missed a few of the details… I think he mentioned it was tanker work with the odd night out but we finished the conversation with “we can go over it in more detail in the interview” so if anybody can give me heads up on the job I’d much appreciate it

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I hear through the grape vine that in my area Wincanton are struggling to get drivers.

And why is it a bit soon to move on from ES pal?
Please don’t tell me it’s loyalty…

But if you do want to move on and not quit, the Beaver can give you some tips on getting the sack! :smiley:

The problem in Soton was they employed a lot of EU drivers some who couldn’t speak a word of English. The accident damage to trucks and third party property was astronomical. Some decided to leave, others were prompted. One tool left Eling Wharf, turned left despite the sign for trucks saying right turn only and then right onto Junctuon Road…you can imagine the chaos he caused at that junction!! The problem with replacing them is the crap money.

justtickingover:
The problem in Soton was they employed a lot of EU drivers some who couldn’t speak a word of English. The accident damage to trucks and third party property was astronomical. Some decided to leave, others were prompted. One tool left Eling Wharf, turned left despite the sign for trucks saying right turn only and then right onto Junctuon Road…you can imagine the chaos he caused at that junction!! The problem with replacing them is the crap money.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The bellend was probably trying to get to the M27 up Salisbury Rd past Calmore…
Yeah Junction Rd is ballache, I avoid it in my car! :imp:

Evil8Beezle:
I hear through the grape vine that in my area Wincanton are struggling to get drivers.

And why is it a bit soon to move on from ES pal?
Please don’t tell me it’s loyalty…

But if you do want to move on and not quit, the Beaver can give you some tips on getting the sack! :smiley:

As I’d of thought 2 months experience isn’t enough but talking to this guy on the phone he didn’t mind at all…

Wincanton took me on with not a jot of Class 1 experience, and no HIAB experience either. I do bricks and tiles, mostly trunk/bulk work, but some local stuff, some tramping. Pay varies (wildly) across contracts, but construction division stuff is all generally decent money. AFAIK, it’s all salaried though, contracted average (as in WTD average) 48 hour, mon-fri week, the rare weekends attract a premium. Night out money isn’t the best, but not the worst either. A token daily meal allowance.

If you’re into it, they’ll provide decent pension contributions, share-save scheme, and other various benefits you can choose to sign up to.

The attitude they had when they took me on is that they’d much rather take someone on with no experience but is willing to learn, and willing to do things properly (i.e. their way [they’re H&S daft], no cutting corners etc), than someone who knows it all and will do things their own way.

The one thing I found refreshing was that they actually mean what they say, stick to speed limits, it takes as long as it takes, don’t care how long it takes as long as it’s done safely… etc etc… Full training, a ‘buddy’ to get you up to speed, assessments - and you’re not pressured into getting on with it. Basically, you don’t need to go tear-arsing around to get things done - if you get delayed and jobs get failed, so be it - with the caveat of: don’t take the ■■■■. Planners get the hump right enough, but that’s a different story :laughing:

Think they one you’re looking at is powder tankers (cement). Make it clear that H&S is important to you, and their eyes will light up :smiley:

HTH.

Chris1207:
Wincanton took me on with not a jot of Class 1 experience, and no HIAB experience either. I do bricks and tiles, mostly trunk/bulk work, but some local stuff, some tramping. Pay varies (wildly) across contracts, but construction division stuff is all generally decent money. AFAIK, it’s all salaried though, contracted average (as in WTD average) 48 hour, mon-fri week, the rare weekends attract a premium. Night out money isn’t the best, but not the worst either. A token daily meal allowance.

If you’re into it, they’ll provide decent pension contributions, share-save scheme, and other various benefits you can choose to sign up to.

The attitude they had when they took me on is that they’d much rather take someone on with no experience but is willing to learn, and willing to do things properly (i.e. their way [they’re H&S daft], no cutting corners etc), than someone who knows it all and will do things their own way.

The one thing I found refreshing was that they actually mean what they say, stick to speed limits, it takes as long as it takes, don’t care how long it takes as long as it’s done safely… etc etc… Full training, a ‘buddy’ to get you up to speed, assessments - and you’re not pressured into getting on with it. Basically, you don’t need to go tear-arsing around to get things done - if you get delayed and jobs get failed, so be it - with the caveat of: don’t take the ■■■■. Planners get the hump right enough, but that’s a different story [emoji38]

Think they one you’re looking at is powder tankers (cement). Make it clear that H&S is important to you, and their eyes will light up :smiley:

HTH.

Thanks for the info buddy he did say it was a 48 hour week but nothing about meal allowance etc… do you know what the overtime rate is? I forgot to ask him it could wait until I go to the interview but the more I know the better