Wincanton

I have been offered full time work with Wincanton tramping on containers, I’m minded to take it but has anyone else worked or is working for them?

Please guys not the usual comments of my mates next door neighbour knows a guy who works for them… Its a big move going back to tramping and I’m just trying to get to the bottom of the ‘hype’ from the company.

Cheers.

They operate our haulage. We call them Whingecanton. They complain over stupid things. Except on Fridays, where for some strange reason, they all want to get up the road smartish.

Worked for them before as agency pulling double deck trailers for Argos, seemed ok, your typical big company but no hassle at all from the transport office. The job took as long as the job took.

Just wondering what others experience is of working for them on containers.

Clunk:
They operate our haulage. We call them Whingecanton. They complain over stupid things. Except on Fridays, where for some strange reason, they all want to get up the road smartish.

Who’s that then??

A lot of echo driving, exhaust break usage, your on iso track , key fuels snap parking,you can park at other msa,s but wait 6 weeks before refund, on containers i think they have computer to receive jobs and clear them down, red hot on H&s stuff, oh and of course on containers lots of EE drivers that think they are better than you, don,t expect much help from them. Any help needed speak the northern blokes, good bunch. Good luck

yes buddy

work for them out of southampton.

what you wanna know?

so far had no problems…never ring up asking where i am if im not late, never waited more then a week to get my refund for parking (keyfuels and snap cards)

easy clean work.

old motors, but they are slowly being replaced with the new Tcab renaults, if your tramping you will get full kit.

the only thing that annoys me is the yard is dusty and it makes my car filthy.

i work for the Allport contract, but done a fair bit for wincanton as well…both the same as each other really.

be prepaird to put some hours in though, but if you’re tramping it dont really matter.

yes buddy

work for them out of southampton.

what you wanna know?

so far had no problems…never ring up asking where i am if im not late, never waited more then a week to get my refund for parking (keyfuels and snap cards)

easy clean work.

old motors, but they are slowly being replaced with the new Tcab renaults, if your tramping you will get full kit.

the only thing that annoys me is the yard is dusty and it makes my car filthy.

i work for the Allport contract, but done a fair bit for wincanton as well…both the same as each other really.

be prepaird to put some hours in though, but if you’re tramping it dont really matter.

I might be way off here :blush: …, but wasn’t there a thread on here not so long ago, about the wages being total crap.

A mate of mine worked for Hanbury Davis/MSC who they took over, and reckoned things were bad in comparison.

Just left their Southampton Base.

8 p/h o/t payed after 55 hours at 9 something per hour.

£2.55 per day if ADR whether you do ADR or not.

£23.50 night out money and on SNAP. Never had a problem getting money back for Non SNAP parking the following week.

£10 a day meal allowance (£8 is taxable) everyday worked.

Tramping I was doing up to 72 hours a week and took home 520 to 650 (after tax and NI) depending on how many nights out I got.

On Allports I was left alone and never hassled and when I wanted 11 off it was never questioned.

A lot of drop and swaps and I would go back if I need too :slight_smile:

:

8 p/h o/t payed after 55 hours at 9 something per hour.

£2.55 per day if ADR whether you do ADR or not.

£23.50 night out money and on SNAP. Never had a problem getting money back for Non SNAP parking the following week.

Tramping I was doing up to 72 hours a week and took home 520 to 650 (after tax and NI) depending on how many nights out I got.

On Allports I was left alone and never hassled and when I wanted 11 off it was never questioned.

A lot of drop and swaps and I would go back if I need too :slight_smile:

£8ph?
You do know you could go drive a 7.5t for tesco for £7.82 ph right and sleep in your own bed every night?!

xichrisxi:

:

£8ph?
You do know you could go drive a 7.5t for tesco for £7.82 ph right and sleep in your own bed every night?!

Thanks for taking time to read the first line :slight_smile:

:

£8 taxable?

Eh? :confused: I’ve never been taxed a penny on a meal allowance.

I work out of Liverpool. Easiest job you’ll ever do on boxes,but you have to balance that with poor wages. I average 62-65 hours booked a week,but probably only work 45. It’s a stop gap for me until the right tanker job comes along. Bank between £500-550 a week 4 nights out. I don’t do any weekends. It’s £8/hr then £9.45 after 55 hours. I don’t understand how the meal allowance is taxed either. Wincanton are probably the worst payers on container work. And I would’nt have a new Renault ever.Good luck if you take it.