Wincanton job offered before I have my LGV license

So I’ve been working as an electrical labourer since September but due to lack of funding and higher wages at my age (early 20s) it’s almost impossible to gain an apprenticeship to get me fully trained up.

So last week I booked my medical, and instead of just waiting till I get my license, I sent an email to Wincanton, explaining my situation (pretty much what I stated above) and attached my CV. They rang me this morning, offering to put me through their training program, after I get my class C license, which they offer for newer drives. After this, they want me to do an accompanied drive, and depending on how that drive goes, they may offer me a full time job :O.

So what do you guys think?
Any of you have any experience working for Wincanton?
What are they like?
Also will I get a good “all rounded” experience working for them?
Do you think this is the way to go for a new driver? Seems good to me as I have a job waiting for me as soon as I get my license

Wincanton are a large company that do multiple supply chains. You could end up on the Co-op stuff but they are willing to give you the chance to get a job before you even passed?! Grab it with both hands!

Yeah it’s the co-op stuff. Yeah I thanked the guy over the phone (seemed nice) and said i’ll be in touch when i pass, I just wanted to know experienced truckers thoughts :slight_smile:.

Also, The LGV course that i’m doing when i get my provisional is class C, is this the old class 2? and will this qualify me to drive both c1 and c2 LGVs?

Thanks

C allows you to drive rigid vehicles up to 32 tons in weight. You’ll get your C1 when you get C, it won’t give you Class 1, thats now C+E. I’ve done Co-op work but it was with a local franchise rather than the big green lot. Easy enough work, the stores are be annoying to get to, villages etc. Plus it doesn’t help that their usual customers aren’t that switched so you may find things getting in your way.

C1=7.5T
C=Rigid up to 32 ton
C+E= Allows trailers over 7.5T

Can I ask out of curiosity, was it a particular branch you e-mailed or just their general transport dept?

As others have said, grab with both hands as these are the kinds of companies who don’t worry so much about insurance (a big factor with new drivers) and can give you a chance plus they’ve got the capacity to double man.

trevHCS:
Can I ask out of curiosity, was it a particular branch you e-mailed or just their general transport dept?

As others have said, grab with both hands as these are the kinds of companies who don’t worry so much about insurance (a big factor with new drivers) and can give you a chance plus they’ve got the capacity to double man.

Just after I booked my medical, I saw they were looking for a few drivers around an hours drive from where i live. So I went on wincantons website, contact us and then driving recruitment and it had an email under that.

Thanks for the advice guys! I’ll be sure to make the best of this opportunity I’ve been given.

Just to be a pedantic sod, and I stand to be put in my place by someone more knowledgeable, but the rigid licence covers you for more than 32 tonne its for anything rigid I believe as the likes of mobile cranes and self mixing concrete lorries can gross out at a lot more, but as Radar19 said 32 tonne would be what you’d normally come across as that’s what 4 axled (8 wheelers) lorries are usually rated too! If I’m wrong I’ll happy get back in me box :laughing:

RB84:
Just to be a pedantic sod, and I stand to be put in my place by someone more knowledgeable, but the rigid licence covers you for more than 32 tonne its for anything rigid I believe as the likes of mobile cranes and self mixing concrete lorries can gross out at a lot more, but as Radar19 said 32 tonne would be what you’d normally come across as that’s what 4 axled (8 wheelers) lorries are usually rated too! If I’m wrong I’ll happy get back in me box :laughing:

Just looked at the new licenseing and yes to fall in line with the rest of the EU there is NO upper weight limit on a cat C it all comes down to the trailer addition… That’s why if you hold a cat C you can drive a heavy tractor unit without the need to lock off the 5th wheel or other coupling devices.
Much like a new driver can drive a car with a tow bar without a trailer.

Co-OP stuff will be on cages be careful over pavements and kerbs and pushing cages into shops while its open,some are front door deliveries before I get any grief lol.
As already said grab said job with both hands you don’t often hear of a job before passing your test,plenty of posts on here about passing then not getting a job.

Everyone is saying “grab” this job offer even before you can drive, whats that old saying don’t run before you can walk? I’ll be that tool. When you have passed you call this “nice chap” up and say “yo I can drive”, “well done, come back with 6months experience”.

This is an industry that can change over night, just because some ■■■■■■ in an office looks at some bill, and thinks, “hey we can save money on insurence, with drivers with atleast X amounts of experience, or Y age”

Do your liecence, then look for the work, at the minute you have nothing to offer the employers, just bags of wishes and dreams.

If it’s wincanton lea green, they will have you working saturday and sunday every weekend and i’m guessing if they put you through there class 2 to class 1 scheme they will want 2 years work out of you. job isn’t to bad but the stores can be a pig to get into as a lot of them are small convenience stores in locations not great for putting trucks into, that said you get the nack of reversing working for them. good luck with it