Wincanton Containers/Containers in general

Got an interview with Wincanton doing containers on Monday, this will be for days with “the occasional night out” . I know (what they say) the hours and money is, just wondering what they are like as a company to work for?

Also, Containers in general? Never done them, looks reasonably easy to operate the Skellie from watching youtube, what’s the work like? what sort of thing would be an “average” day?

Any tips/advice/warnings gratefully recieved :smiley:

If it’s Southampton then the office are a complete bunch of Muppets…expect to be sat around for hours waiting for boxes to be booked on the quay etc etc as they couldn’t run a bath…and this is the normal calibre of driver…

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Saying the above if you’re a newbie and after experience it’s worth.day work you can expect 12-15hrs per day and about £450 take home…

truckertang:
Saying the above if you’re a newbie and after experience it’s worth.day work you can expect 12-15hrs per day and about £450 take home…

surely there is someone better out there you can work for OP■■? :open_mouth:

Out of a new depot in Oxfordshire, saying average 55hr week, paid straight through card in to card out. Just shy of £600 a week basic before tax with various bonuses on top, Monday to Friday, Saturday overtime. Sound about right?

Fuzrat:
Got an interview with Wincanton doing containers on Monday, this will be for days with “the occasional night out” . I know (what they say) the hours and money is, just wondering what they are like as a company to work for?

Also, Containers in general? Never done them, looks reasonably easy to operate the Skellie from watching youtube, what’s the work like? what sort of thing would be an “average” day?

be careful on roundabouts and bends, some of them can be top heavy,

Fuzrat:
Out of a new depot in Oxfordshire, saying average 55hr week, paid straight through card in to card out. Just shy of £600 a week basic before tax with various bonuses on top, Monday to Friday, Saturday overtime. Sound about right?

I’ve heard all sorts of ■■■■■■■■ spoken about how much you can earn to get bods to start, if they quote some random bloke’s pay it will be one of the blue eyed boys or some bugger that works ever hour God sends.

You need to know the hourly rate, how many hours constitute basic pay what is the guaranteed minimum shift in terms of hours, hourly overtime rate (is overtime calculated on daily basis or after so many accrued hours, the difference is very important), what exactly are bonuses and how are they calculated.

Mon to Fri and then Sat overtime already tells me its straight pay during the week.
How much time is docked for breaks during the day, paid on tacho or paid from timesheet/clockcard.

Fuzrat:

Container work is easy… here’s a few tips.

Get hold of a piece of steel tube about 2’ long - one that will slide over the container door handles. The doors are often seized or very tight… having the tube will enable you to easily close & open them.

Never stand directly in front of the door you are opening - sh*t falls out… so always stand to the left, behind the still locked door… so never unlock both doors at the same time.

When loading boxes… some ports insist that you stay in your cab at all times… then drive to an area for check-out etc… they are all different… ask when you get there… no harm in asking.
Where it is possible/permitted - it’s a good idea to check the box is properly seated before moving off the loading area… sometimes getting a box re-seated can take forever.

Always keep a supply of food and drink in your cab… loading and unloading can take an age… at delivery and collection points.

Not sure what Wincanton are like to work for. I’ve heard good and bad… which means they are probably not better or worse than others of similar size.

What I can tell you is their capacity to run RDC badly - is matched by no other.

Finally, if you’re not fat already… you soon will be. :slight_smile:

Finally, if you’re not fat already… you soon will be. :slight_smile:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …Sooooo true… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The hrs are long and can’t see how you won’t be tramping all week, once you get the hang off the port system it’s easy but loads of books, internet and movies would be a benefit to your self…

Pawuk:
The hrs are long and can’t see how you won’t be tramping all week, once you get the hang off the port system it’s easy but loads of books, internet and movies would be a benefit to your self…

Container work with ‘occasional nights out’ can often mean you will be a day driver on local work in & out of the local rail head, until 3pm on Friday when they find a box that needs running to the port & then suddenly it suits them to say that your a tramper.

Thanks for the tips already guys, plenty to think about and forewarned is forearmed as they say. Will have a better idea of what questions to ask tomorrow and what sort of answers should be coming back :wink: Keep em coming :smiley:

PS, I’m 10 stone at the minute, just gone up to a 32" waist in the last couple of years. Got a fair way to go to achieve the heart attack on legs trucker physique :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Fuzrat:
PS, I’m 10 stone at the minute, just gone up to a 32" waist in the last couple of years. Got a fair way to go to achieve the heart attack on legs trucker physique :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Get a folding bike, ask customer how long to tip the box, and clear off. Smoking, eating pork pies and crisps washed down with fizzy sugary drinks is OPTIONAL, not compulsory.

Franglais:

Fuzrat:

Get a folding bike, ask customer how long to tip the box, and clear off. Smoking, eating pork pies and crisps washed down with fizzy sugary drinks is OPTIONAL, not compulsory.

TBH I dont drink much in the way of sugary drinks, mug of tea in the morning then big bottles of water. Gave up the ■■■■ 3 years ago. Havent been on a bike in years but I do walk a decent amount at weekends with the hounds so going for a wander instead is an option. Am partial to a pork pie though :smiley:

I personally found containers the most boring job I’ve had driving wise and the worst paid.
You can literally sit on your backside for 99% of the day, don’t get me wrong I’m all for an easy life but I found it so fatiguing becouse of the absolute lack of physical effort, I was glad to get back on general haulage at least there is a slightest bit of physical exercise.

How did you get on Fuzrat - any info from the horses mouth to pass on ?