Wincanton Aquires CEL Group

Just read on the Wincanton Website that today they have aquired the Cel gruop of companies W carter ,Cel engineering but no mention of Deben Transport though .Always thought there was a connection there.Makes Wincanton a big animal in the container game now.

I dont think Deben were included, If my information is correct they were bought by the board and are not part of the deal.

my mate text me this today, thats pretty much the last privatly owned one gone so to speak isnt it?

no idea about deben though, i think carters owned 60% of them…

old news, this happened 2 weeks ago from what i had heard

I understand that Carl Dawson at Deben has bought out of the group and is now running independantly. Wonder who’s next■■?

Wincanton are breading a monster they can’t control, they are like brake bros buying up everyone, they can buy me up if they want.

Love the job your in or someone els will

the buyout was confirmed today by the bigwigs at cel !! mr colin carter sayin that he was to old for it !! as for deben !! that is now owned by paul dawson an johnson stevens agencies as c.e.l sold that to them a while bac !! there’s a lot goin on in felixstowe at mo !! it will be interestin to see wot happens !! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wincanton buy Carters, Stobarts buy O’Connors, Pentalver buy Bowmur, whatever next… :question: :question: Containers will never be the same… :sunglasses:

Smee:
Containers will never be the same…

Nor will any job that Wincanton get hold of, from a drivers point of view.

Smee:
Wincanton buy Carters, Stobarts buy O’Connors, Pentalver buy Bowmur, whatever next… :question: :question: Containers will never be the same… :sunglasses:

dont forget it wasnt so long back that wincantons bought handburys. :exclamation:

euromat:
my mate text me this today, thats pretty much the last privatly owned one gone so to speak isnt it?

no idea about deben though, i think carters owned 60% of them…

Is maritime a privatly owned company ?,if so they must be the largest privatly owned,also elite,goldstar.

Rob Campbell:
Just read on the Wincanton Website that today they have aquired the Cel gruop of companies W carter ,Cel engineering but no mention of Deben Transport though .Always thought there was a connection there.Makes Wincanton a big animal in the container game now.

What happened to the monopilies commision■■? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I dispise wincanton, i went to the gloucter wincantons with my uncle and they said no passengers so i was waiting outside looking like a idiot with people beeping at me Lol
:laughing:

This kind of consolidation is going on in every industry. The reason is simple; greater economies of scale and vast cost savings are possible, and the old rule that it’s far more economical and quick to buy market share than to spend money on the sales process, which has uncertain results. If a company wants ‘in’ to a new market, then it acquires. You only have to look at Microsoft to see that theory in action.

Also, if a business grows like CEL has over the past few years, they will reach a ceiling whereby in order to expand further, they need a big, financially stable backer, as they cannot do it on their own. Remember, in business there is no such thing as personal pride!!!

Just look at Shaun Allen’s (CEL’s MD) quote in RT:
“We are delighted to be joining Wincanton with the on-going stability and investment this brings to our business. Wincanton’s focus on the container industry within the supply chain mirrors our own strategic objectives for growth and we look forward to the opportunities that this will create for our customers.”

And this acquisition has no doubt been made more favourable by the prevailing economic conditions.

By all accounts, Colin and Edward Carter were approaching the time when they would consider selling up, I wouldn’t want to work for my whole life then not have a chance to cash in my chips. Good luck to them, they’ve earned it in my opinion. I believe none of their offspring wanted to continue the family involvement in the company.

As to where that leaves CEL, well presumably there will be longer term consolidation in the depot network, as Wincanton now have HD and their own depots to play with.

And as far as Felixstowe is concerned, well you’ve now got Maritime, which is still owned by John Williams, and Goldstar run by Matthew Ashworth as ‘independents’, but if I were in charge of any of the more ambitious companies I would be looking for a big, wealthy backer such as Wincanton for the long term, even if it did mean painting my trucks a boring dark blue!

Worth also floating another theme from the press release - Jeff Anderson, Managing Director, Wincanton, says, “This considerable strengthening of our container activities in the UK complements our market leading intermodal business in mainland Europe"

These big boys see the expansion of containerisation not in terms of trucks and haulage but as part of an intermodal strategy. In other words, will they be changing the way goods are moved from places like Felixstowe, and using trains as well as roads? Interesting.

Maritime is still privately owned,

( allegation removed until proved ) jd

Just to confirm, Deben Transport has bought back the shares in it formerly owned by CEL Group. Paul Dawson now holds around 48-49% as does Derek Johnson, who also owns Johnson Stevens Agencies. They have also taken on Ivan Chittock as Finance Director, who was formerly a director of CEL.

Dom Perry
Motor Transport

shuttlespanker:
Maritime is still privately owned,

careful what you say Rob,its only hearsay,nobody can confirm or deny that ,its been doing the rounds for a couple of weeks though now,but i have not heard that for definate,only driver talk and most of that came from the men at Debens and they’re renowned for talking ■■■■

( allegation from quote removed until proved ) jd

i just hope that if they restructure, they don’t get rid of the girl, at tilbury :sunglasses:
went in there this morning, too grab a box, not only was she polite and helpful, she was absolutely stunning.
i didn’t know where too look.
well i did, but she’d have probably give me a right hander :smiley:

chilistrucker:
i just hope that if they restructure, they don’t get rid of the girl, at tilbury :sunglasses:
went in there this morning, too grab a box, not only was she polite and helpful, she was absolutely stunning.
i didn’t know where too look.
well i did, but she’d have probably give me a right hander :smiley:

Not like that bird @ Denholm Tilbury dock, the rubb shed # 12, FFS, what a girl :open_mouth:

Nice enough to deal with, but, the mini skirt was far too short, and the thighs joined just above the knee :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

As Gok Wan would say, its not a good look :cry:

shuttlespanker:
Maritime is still privately owned, edited

When did this happen ? I’ve only heard rumors.

Comment containing unproven rumour deleted- Rikki