Will tugs and fridges have to run on white derv?

With this recent change on red diesel duty change in April will red diesel be gone from our yards?

I can’t see anything to say there will be an exception for road haulage.

Maybe now is the time to start switching over to the newer electric fridge units for cost savings to be made over a substantial period.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Plus with the extra duty paid on this fuel that is going to raise the cost of transporting fridge goods.

Seems the answer is yes.

All tanks and fuel lines will need flushing to remove any trace of red dye.

Surprised nothing has been mentioned at work about this change and no work started yet to transition over.

Yes only farmers and few others like showmen will be able carry on using it.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Our lot are already all over this upcoming change. By all over I mean that they’re ignoring it until their hand is forced!

By all accounts though yes, our tugs and fridges will be fuelled with white instead of cherry.

the maoster:
Our lot are already all over this upcoming change. By all over I mean that they’re ignoring it until their hand is forced!

By all accounts though yes, our tugs and fridges will be fuelled with white instead of cherry.

[emoji23] as our lot are also over this upcoming change it seems.

We’ve installed loads of hookups so they can,at least run on electric whilst in the yard.

commonrail:
We’ve installed loads of hookups so they can,at least run on electric whilst in the yard.

I guess that will become more common in a lot of yards at least for own fleet. Bit again the costs involved to add electric point for every bay and parking bays would be substantial initially.

Engines for fridges will probably be around for a long time still yet though.

Asda Bristol were trying out the electric fridge last year for this reason.
In the end they said it would take 15 years (i think it was) to pay back the installation costs per unit/trailer.

drover:
In the end they said it would take 15 years (i think it was) to pay back the installation costs per unit/trailer.

1 litre of Diesel contains 10 kwh at £1.50 per litre including duty and 20% VAT.
At worse a diesel engine is 30% efficient.
Electric is going to be well over 20p per kwh by April.Including 5% VAT.
What happens if/when the government closes the fuel duty loophole for electric.

Carryfast:

drover:

1 litre of Diesel contains 10 kwh at £1.50 per litre including duty and 20% VAT.

Doesn’t matter as it’s already now cost effective.

I’m not talking about just plugging the trailer into standard electric hook up for when it’s parked in the yard. That they already use.

They installed some kind of system on both unit and trailer that would run the trailer fridge from the power of the unit engine. Only worked when unit engine was running i think…

The latest “smart” electric fridges have a generator driven off one of the axles. The control box is clever enough to make maximum use of energy generated during braking etc (bit like the KERS in a F1 car) but if the battery gets too low it will also charge during ordinary driving, thus indirectly getting power from the tractor unit’s engine.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
The latest “smart” electric fridges have a generator driven off one of the axles. The control box is clever enough to make maximum use of energy generated during braking etc (bit like the KERS in a F1 car) but if the battery gets too low it will also charge during ordinary driving, thus indirectly getting power from the tractor unit’s engine.

Sounds a good idea.

Enough power storage for an overnight 11hr stop? Not a problem at all on most UK work, but just a thought.

Apparently we trialed an electric fridge last year as a company. And this year we are supposedly trialling a fridge that uses solar panels as well. Not sure solar would be that good compared to generating the charge for the battery from the axles.

I did ask the question last night and was just told we will just continue to fill them up as normal but with white diesel rather than red.

drover:

Carryfast:

drover:

Doesn’t matter as it’s already now cost effective.

I’m not talking about just plugging the trailer into standard electric hook up for when it’s parked in the yard. That they already use.

They installed some kind of system on both unit and trailer that would run the trailer fridge from the power of the unit engine. Only worked when unit engine was running i think…

The unit engine runs on …white diesel.
How does that save the costs of not being able to run the fridge on red.
The fact is the choice is white diesel or electric and electric is a can of worms in terms of cost.

I pulled a solar powered fridge in April 2019, it was going from a dealer to have some work done inside it before it was released to the customer.

Slightly off topic but I started out driving Iveco 130E15 with a Frigobloc alternator driven fridge.

When loaded and set to -30c we use to have to turn them off to get up the hills on the M2, even then they would crawl up about 20mph!

8wheels:
Slightly off topic but I started out driving Iveco 130E15 with a Frigobloc alternator driven fridge.

When loaded and set to -30c we use to have to turn them off to get up the hills on the M2, even then they would crawl up about 20mph!

Not surprised with a 13 tonner with the engine out of a 7.5 model.

If units had an anderson power connector fitted nearer the middle of the unit where the suzies are you could conceivably run one off an anderson lead. Not sure how long the cable would last though.

Conor:
If units had an anderson power connector fitted nearer the middle of the unit where the suzies are you could conceivably run one off an anderson lead. Not sure how long the cable would last though.

I suspect they’d kill the unit’s battery in pretty short order if parked even for a short time.