Will I be able to earn £24K+?

Hi all,

First post on here so I hope you’ll welcome me to the forum!

I’m 22 and considering taking a training course to work my way up to a C+E license. I currently work as a custody officer and although I know I’m lucky to have a job, pension, sick pay, paid holidays etc but the novelty of being attacked and abused on a daily basis by prisoners is starting to wear thin :smiley: I love driving, being out and about and can’t stand working 9-5 mon to fri so think driving might be the ideal job for me.

I’ve been looking into driving for a few years now, read as many threads on here as I can and spoken to a few family friends who are drivers to try and do as much homework as I can, so I know the job isn’t easy, has long hours, not always the greatest rates of pay, means at times multiple nights away from home etc etc however one thing I can’t work out or get a straight answer is, is will I be able to match the wage I’m on now? £24,000?

I’ve worked out £24,000 isthe minimum I need to earn to pay mortgage, bills, pension etc and still have a bit left over for saving up, going out etc…I’m young, single, no kids, based near central London and willing to work any type of shift pattern even if it means permanent nights or multiple nights away from home - so would there be a job out there for me if I get my license that would pay at least £24K?

Grateful for your advice :slight_smile:

Cheers
Mickie

nope…

I am sure you will be able to match your current earnings but maybe not too start with. I recently saw an ad for brakes class 2 driver £28k a year with pension and healthcare. But you will have to work bloody hard for it.

24k on London weighting shouldn’t be difficult if you can get a full time job, but you will never do it on agency working 2 or 3 days a month or even a week.

mickie89:
…I currently work as a custody officer… and can’t stand working 9-5 mon to fri…
Cheers
Mickie

If only they all worked 9-5. Why is there always one there at 4am? :imp:

I would say yes this is realistic, it may involve a lot of graft or some job that isn’t very glam but you should be able to turn something up around the London area.

I would say yes easily but as others have said it will be long hours, and at least you won’t have prisoners to contend with.

Sent from a layby stroking one off.

Cool, cheers for the replies everybody :slight_smile:

I don’t really mind long hours or hard graft as long as it’s a reasonable wage for the job. I’ll have a look around the local area and speak to some training providers about doing a course.

Cheers
Mickie

60 hours a week should get you 25k gross no problem,if you do nights out,then you are looking at an extra £20/£25 per night tax free.

A read of this may help

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84614

Think that is in Dover