Will get there in the end

First attempt at a class 1 test yesterday, failed, was absolutely gutted, was misting up on drive on home, I so nearly had it… Hardly any minors, but 2 serious (instant fails) skimmed a curb exiting a tight junction, and further on I made someone else slow down and/or change direction because I was in the way on a narrowing Road, should of held back and waited for it to clear, but was worried about impeeding other drivers by blocking other junctions whilst waiting or getting a fail for hesitancy as they want continuous progression if possible. Other than that, the reverse went well, uncouple recouple went well, rest of the drive was good, but, it’s really difficult to keep your chin up and put full effort in, stay focused, after you’ve seen in the mirror your back end just skim that curb, you see the examiner tick in corner of your eye, you know what this means, it’s difficult to keep switched on and not dwell n what’s happened, I was going through the rest of the test mad at myself about that, that I didn’t anticipate, plan ahead, and ended up forcing other motorists to stop and mount the curb cos I was in their way, terrible, im better than that, this didn’t happen to me in my lessons, sods law it happens to you when it counts. But I’m at fault, just have to focus, switch on, and apply myself better for next time.

Did my training with ‘apex training centre’ in Peterborough. Highly recommend them. Just rebooked with them to do another fulls day training day before my test, make sure I still got it, clean things up abit.

Hope I get it next time. Not easy getting class 1 these days. Standards are high. Peterbrough can be a nightmare sometimes too.

Wish me luck, keep you posted.

Cheers

Steve

Shame it didn’t work out for you this time. The “meeting other traffic” issue is often a problem as folks get it in their head that they must make progress. Not sure where this comes from as no-one fails a test on progress unless it’s consistently stupidly slow. When you’re in a situation thinking “should I go, shouldn’t I go” listen to the voice of caution. Your instincts develop with experience and the “shouldn’t I go” bit is the start of experience helping you.

Cant comment on the kerb. But to fail for skimming a kerb is most unusual.

Better luck next time, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I was wondering why you failed on “skimming the kerb” also, as It’s to my understanding you can skim the kerb aslong as you don’t mount the kerb you should be fine, I skimmed 2 kerbs in my CE and didn’t even get a minor for them. Strange

Ah right, that is strange then, I was told, no contact with the curbs, hmmmmmm, Ah well, whats done is done, would of failed anyway because of the blocking of traffic incident. I’m a young lad, 23, no class 2 experience due to firms wanting 2 years experience, or be 25, or both for insurance. My only option is to do me class 1 and get with a big company that self insure. (of which I’m in contact with one who are willing to take me on and further train me to use their vehicles and equipment no problem whenever I pass) I’m just going to keep at it till I get it.

Bad luck pal, and the only thing to dwell on is that you now know what to expect next time.
Along with if in doubt, take the minor for hesitation! :wink:

Best of luck next time… :smiley:

If it is a forward planning issue then try commentating when alone in your own vehicle and see how much into the distance you can correctly say what is likely to happen

I was told, no contact with the curbs

That is obviously the most desirable. But there is a substantial degree of leeway which examiners exercise according to the exact circumstances. eg we have a turn on one of our test routes (lovingly known as the Burger King turn) and it’s unusual not to make some form of contact with the kerb. It’s also unusual, but not unheard of, to get a serious steering mark on the turn. This is because of what it is and the size of vehicle involved.

No good instructor will use the mantra “touch the kerb and it’s a fail”. It should be more a matter of learning how not to touch the kerb whenever possible.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pickles93:
you see the examiner tick in corner of your eye, you know what this means, it’s difficult to keep switched on and not dwell n what’s happened

I know what you mean, I failed by first Cat. C test due to forcing a car to change speed or direction when doing pulling away with a parked car in front. Once I saw that tick go into the box that was it, but had to carry on. What I did like on my second test was that the examiner got in and placed the clipboard into the door pocket and then didn’t get it out till the end of the test, personally this made me feel even more relaxed on test. Good luck for the next test.

No good instructor would use the mantra “touch the curb, you fail”

Funnily enough those were my instructors exact words lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

nfk2001:

Pickles93:
you see the examiner tick in corner of your eye, you know what this means, it’s difficult to keep switched on and not dwell n what’s happened

I know what you mean, I failed by first Cat. C test due to forcing a car to change speed or direction when doing pulling away with a parked car in front. Once I saw that tick go into the box that was it, but had to carry on. What I did like on my second test was that the examiner got in and placed the clipboard into the door pocket and then didn’t get it out till the end of the test, personally this made me feel even more relaxed on test. Good luck for the next test.

Difficult isn’t it mate, thanks very much

Funnily enough those were my instructors exact words lol :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Make your own judgement.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

when i did my class 1 there was a stretch of roadworks on a test route that were really narrow. traffic lights the whole 9 yards.

i made a point of telling the examiner “im going to do my best to avoid the kerb through here but ive come through before and touched it every time” examiner told me after the test i avoided a minor for it for pointing it out.

test passed.

good luck on the next attempt

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Gutting mate.

You’ve got the right attitude though. Let yourself be upset, but don’t let it hold you back from trying again. :sunglasses:

ROG makes a good point about commentating on what you’re seeing and what you’re doing/going to do. It made a big difference to my (car, at this point) driving when I started doing that. Took a few trips before it became natural, and it was interesting to be paying attention to how my commentary changed as I got more practiced. At first, it was mainly just describing the scenario, and it developed into more of a stream of notes/plans.

I found too that it takes some of the stress out of city driving because you feel vindicated when the driver you identified as a being a bellend, pulls off whatever ■■■■■■■ move you just predicted they would do. :grimacing:

Gutted for you mate, know exactly how you feel as I failed my class 1 a couple of weeks ago, for something even mystic meg would have struggled to foretell :laughing: :laughing:

Im re-taking it too, its a numbers game, you just got to hope you get a good run at it on the day. The only real fail is when you walk away for good. So while ever you keep trying, you haven`t failed :wink:

Pickles93:

it’s also what my instructor told me on my CE training. I failed the first time because I failed to stop in time when the lights went amber. On my second test I skimmed a kerb barely 10 minutes after going on the road and straight away I thought I failed. I was so downtrodden for the rest of the way and I just totally gave up paying attention. So imagine my shock when we got back and the examiner says I passed, albeit with 11 minors. Up until this thread I have always thought that examiner ought to retire if his eyesight was so bad he couldn’t see me skim the kerb. Anyway mate good luck with your next test, I hope you will work on your previous weaknesses and go on to smash it second time around.

Ages ago I put on a post, told to me by one of my trainers.

Lad came back off test, having passed.

“How did he go on?” asked the trainer

“Fine bud, was a nice drive”

Knowing that he’d passed, and this was now sorted the trainer said to him…

“funny that, as I’ve just had some bloke on the blower saying that that very motor has ripped the arse end off a motor on the one way system in Stone”

“Silver one?” asked the examiner

“Yup”

“Well bugger me, I knew it was close, but I’d have sworn blind he’d made it. Ah well, bloody stupid place to park it anyway”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk