Will companies take on disabled truck drivers?

Hi guys, I know it’s been asked before, but is there work for a disabled truck driver? Will companies take on disabled. I have recently been accepted to take my lgv license by the dvla. I have a disability called dystonia which basically means I have muscle spasms as part of the brain is not functioning as it should. However I’ve had a deep brain stimulation implant operation, which has sorted those muscle spasms out. I was also a taxi driver for 17 years beforehand. I don’t want to waste my money training and then to find I can’t get a job. I’m toying with the idea that I could possibly do trunk work. But also most companies want experienced drivers. So how do you get experience if you can’t get a job?

Any advice would be great fully received.

Many thanks.

I suffer from lumbar spinal stenosis and I drive. Some weeks are worse than others so I do agency work as it allows me to work around my disability without the worry of losing my job because I have a higher than normal amount of time off work as a result. The agency I work for know my limitations and I feel I’m able to say no without penalty.

Agency is usually the way to gain experience so whilst its not going to be great for guaranteeing a steady income it will allow you to work as and when you are able to and importantly to try lots of different types of work and find out what you both are capable of doing and like without the pressure of feeling you have to go in when you’re not fit or continue to do a job you’re not able to.

Thanks for that Conner. I guess I’ve got some hope then.

The only thing stopping you is YOU. Rejection or “no sorry” is a ■■■■■ but you’ll have to knock on a serious amount of doors before getting one to open. Personally it’s not the disability that will hold you back but the lack of experience and that my friend everyone has to get over so don’t be saddling the two together. My own experience was to start with small operator someone with 3 - 4 trucks looking a relief driver and serve your time at it, yes it was hard work, yes it was sometimes questionable but that’s all part of making up your experience. Don’t be blaming your circumstances for not getting a job it’s the experience or lack of it that will beat you firstly. If the DVLA are prepared to grant a license on successfully passing a test the disability had dam all todo with it and you my friend are in the same pond as all the rest of novice drivers.

Happy hunting and don’t just roll over with the first rejection you get.

I’m not disabled however I do have a penalty against me and that is some driving convictions one of which is a DR10 that is only 3yrs ago and I’ve only had my class 2 for just over a month but after some serious graft I found a f/t permanent job on class 2 that I’m loving, but anyway to the point I found that smaller family owned firms were far more helpful in regards to negotiating a job then any large firms hth and you get on well. Ryan

You need to declare your disability on any job applications you make,then if a Company takes you on and at a later date decide your sick time is no longer acceptable to them and decide to discipline you,its on record its down to them for giving you a job.
Reason I say this is because when I was a Union rep the Company tried to discipline a Driver for his sick time,but they failed in the first 10 minutes, as it was recorded in his original application records.
Another factor is will any Employers insurance Company be prepared to insure you.

My thoughts (and they’re just that) - if your GP hasn’t written to DVLA to state you are unfit to drive; if you’ve passed your medical and the assessing Dr was aware of your condition; and if you have been symptom free for a period (usually 2 yrs I think); then I see no reason why you should be barred from driving for a living. Moreover, if you are symptom free for 12 months I think you then fall outside of the ‘definition’ of having a disability.

As for declaring your disability (if you’re still classed as having one) to employers, morally it is right that you should do so. Just a word of caution, however, from personal experience doing just this has led to a few doors being closed in my face, but in a way that would be difficult to prove discrimination at any (costly) tribunal…

That said, it’s on your conscience if you don’t say anything…!

Thanks very much guys for your input. When my license arrives I’m going to book an assessment with a local instructor on the Wirral. See what he thinks and go from there. This has been my dream since childhood so I’m determined to follow it. And now I’ve been given the go ahead by doctors I can. I used to love going out with my dad in the truck when he worked for Spillers. Thanks again.

DHL running the frozen Tesco contract at DIRFT will definitely take on disability drivers & new passes, as long as you pass their driving assessment you will get work, it’s 90% trunk work with several disabled drivers already employed. They will automatically put you on straight trunk runs only, you will probably have to work late afternoon’s from 1700 or early mornings 0100 to avoid store runs. 2 ways to gain employment if they are recruiting direct through DHL though they don’t advertise vacancies, or via Pertemps who will always have work for you, if you go through Pertemps then your pretty much guaranteed to gain permanent employment, provided your up to scratch. Hope that helps & good luck.

Thanks for that. I wouldn’t mind working nights or lates as I was on nights on the taxis. Sounds promising.

LisasGuy:
DHL running the frozen Tesco contract at DIRFT will definitely take on disability drivers & new passes, as long as you pass their driving assessment you will get work, it’s 90% trunk work with several disabled drivers already employed. They will automatically put you on straight trunk runs only, you will probably have to work late afternoon’s from 1700 or early mornings 0100 to avoid store runs. 2 ways to gain employment if they are recruiting direct through DHL though they don’t advertise vacancies, or via Pertemps who will always have work for you, if you go through Pertemps then your pretty much guaranteed to gain permanent employment, provided your up to scratch. Hope that helps & good luck.

Depends on the Pertemps. There was a thread a while back where a few people (myself inciting), agreed they are a generally ■■■■ outfit. Though depends on area. I think the one in Sheffield is meant to be quite good.

lolipop:
You need to declare your disability on any job applications you make,then if a Company takes you on and at a later date decide your sick time is no longer acceptable to them and decide to discipline you,its on record its down to them for giving you a job.

I have done this on every application form I’ve ever submitted and never failed to get a job. The most that has happened is that one company got their occupational health department to have a look and put a clause in my contract stating I couldn’t do manual handling (it was a parcel network) which I didn’t need to do anyway being a night trunk driver, and that I wouldn’t sue them for any back injuries which I wouldn’t have anyway.