Wilkinsons contract

Have been offered a job by a national haulage company delivering to stores for Wilkinsons never done stores deliveries so any advice would be welcome cheers lads and lasses

On a tangent, and out of interest, which company? Is it Canute?

I heard that their contract with Wilko was up for renewal this month.

Sorry for changing the subject one post in. :blush:

Magor or Manton? - always check the tail lift works some of the drivers dont defect when they break (just leave it to next guy) oh if at manton and you got a decker always use the A57 route to M1 via J31 :wink:

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

What I have seen of them they have a policy of one size trailer suits all stores.
Where I used to work we used to deliver to some of our shops next to Wilko`s it was not uncommon to see them have to uncouple because they blocked the access for others.

It’s Been about 10 years since I did a few years at manton for Wilkos on agy but back then they did have shorter urban trailers which you needed to adjust the sliding 5th wheel. They also had rigid demounts for some stores such as Nottingham centre. I understand some delivery patterns have changed especially with the introduction on deckers. However you learned most of the drops after a while and learned which where good & bad

I know some of these companies who do store deliveries give approved routes to the drivers with some even giving little maps or instructions of how to get to, in, and around the service yards. If you get that then happy days, do as they say. Someone who knows a bit better might be able to say if this is the case with wilko or not?

I don’t do much of this sort of delivery but I don’t get the above, and without that I find google maps and google street view to be my best friend, because nearly always will the address be to the customer entrance which is more often than not on a totally different road to then service entrance.

Rowley010:
I know some of these companies who do store deliveries give approved routes to the drivers with some even giving little maps or instructions of how to get to, in, and around the service yards. If you get that then happy days, do as they say. Someone who knows a bit better might be able to say if this is the case with wilko or not?

I don’t do much of this sort of delivery but I don’t get the above, and without that I find google maps and google street view to be my best friend, because nearly always will the address be to the customer entrance which is more often than not on a totally different road to then service entrance.

Yes they do. Stick to them maps and you will be okay

However any road closeures etc on nights your on your own. You suppose to phone in to seek advice (handy when map reading skills of some office staff a few years ago was lacking)

I left last year and all i can say thank goodness. 7 years of roll cages at wilko was starting to do my head in :wink:

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

They used to have a few units based in the North East…not sure where. The lads from Manton would trunk the trailers up to the yard and then would be delivered onwards.
All the stores had maps and risk assesments and on the whole were pretty accurate.
I left last year and to be fair it wasnt a bad job.The only problem i had was that most of the drivers didnt give a stuff about the trucks. Filthy !!