Wigan to Carmarthen (best way content)

Never done this run before, setting off around 6am just looked at obvious routes these two look the most likley. Anybodygot experience of this type of run does the A483 snarl up in a morning etc, I expect to be using my 10hrs. Both options look a little bit tight for time.

M6 M56 A483 - 179.4 miles Time: 3 hr 59 min

or

M6 M50 M4 259.7 miles Time: 4 hr 38 min

Newtown is a likely place for a snarl up any time of day.You can go on through Newtown on the A489 pick up the A470 taking you out to Llangurig and follow the A470 down to Builth Wells andd rejoin the A483 there. Its a better road than going down the A483 to Llandrindod Wells.

What about M5, M50, A40, A465, M4, A48. The A465 I reckon is a great road.

bald bloke:
What about M5, M50, A40, A465, M4, A48. The A465 I reckon is a great road.

I used to go to Milford Haven refinery with a loaded tanker and always went M5 M50 A40 A449 to Newport then picked up the M4 to the A48.
I came back empty via the A465 Heads of the Valley road.

It was always a two day job though to load, run, tip and return. Shell rate why bother about the time and miles.

Dave the Renegade:
Newtown is a likely place for a snarl up any time of day.You can go on through Newtown on the A489 pick up the A470 taking you out to Llangurig and follow the A470 down to Builth Wells andd rejoin the A483 there. Its a better road than going down the A483 to Llandrindod Wells.

What Dave said. Newtown to Llandrindod is far and away the worst section of that road. Also have to bear in mind the 13’3" bridge when you turn onto the Llandrindod road at the lights in Newtown.

Whereabouts you going in Carmarthen?

it would be better not to go through llandrindod wells but to go the way that Dave said thats the way i always go with either a 6 wheel rigid or a artic

We used to run to St Clears near Camarthen from Ashbourne in pre limiter days and going M5, M50, A449 and M4 but returning empty via the A40 and up through Newtown, Llandovery,Welshpool and Shrewsbury to Stafford we could JUST do it in ten hours driving. Going via Newtown etc loaded took half an hour longer than using the motorway and we couldn’t do it in the time, if we had been limited it would have been a no-no anyway! :blush:

Pete.

Cheers for the heads up, specially about the bridge in Newtown, unsure as where Iam going as its an agency job. Wife still out with the car and my low bridge atlas is in boot.

So Daves way it is.

There is another alternative route.Come down the A49 to Leominster,then take the A44 and follow the signs for Brecon picking up the A4112 then the A438 to Brecon,then the A40 from Brecon to Llandovery following the A40 onto Carmarthen.

Dave the Renegade:
There is another alternative route.Come down the A49 to Leominster,then take the A44 and follow the signs for Brecon picking up the A4112 then the A438 to Brecon,then the A40 from Brecon to Llandovery following the A40 onto Carmarthen.

If he don’t know the area too well Dave, I’d suggest he sticks to your original suggestion. Brecon to Llandovery’s only a nice road if you know it well.

Sidevalve:

Dave the Renegade:

If he don’t know the area too well Dave, I’d suggest he sticks to your original suggestion. Brecon to Llandovery’s only a nice road if you know it well.

No worse than the A483 from the Sugar Loaf down through Cynghordy Sidevalve.

also be aware there is a bridge 15’3 as you go out of newtown on the A489

Dave the Renegade:

Sidevalve:

Dave the Renegade:

True, though I view the 483 as the lesser of two evils. Cynghordy is bad, you’re right, but there seem to be less accidents on that stretch than the A40.

Sidevalve:

Dave the Renegade:

Sidevalve:

Dave the Renegade:

True, though I view the 483 as the lesser of two evils. Cynghordy is bad, you’re right, but there seem to be less accidents on that stretch than the A40.

Will be interesting to see which route Chester took.

i’d go the long way for ease
then i would nosh in Morrisons

Sidevalve:

Dave the Renegade:

What Dave said. Newtown to Llandrindod is far and away the worst section of that road. Also have to bear in mind the 13’3" bridge when you turn onto the Llandrindod road at the lights in Newtown.

Whereabouts you going in Carmarthen?

There is a well signed diversion around the low bridge.

ckm1981:
There is a well signed diversion around the low bridge.

There is indeed, but as you and I know it isn’t brilliant for artics at the time of day he’d be passing thorough; and as said above the Newtown-Llandrindod section is best avoided, especially as it’s obvious that our OP doesn’t know the road.

When coming down the A44 into Rhayader can be a bit tight when you turn left and that sodding monument is in the middle of the road!! First time I did that I thought WTF! :open_mouth: followed a local lad the last time and turned left just before the lights and it was spot on.

Thetaff:
When coming down the A44 into Rhayader can be a bit tight when you turn left and that sodding monument is in the middle of the road!! First time I did that I thought WTF! :open_mouth: followed a local lad the last time and turned left just before the lights and it was spot on.

To anyone doing this drive, turn left by the leisure centre and then immediate right, go through the housing estate and follow the sign back to the A44.