Wifi for tramping

So I’m a tramper and currently have a 12gb Tesco mobile plan, not happy about it and got a while to upgrade but my partner likes to upgrade her phone so kinda stuck with it for the time being…

Have looked at both unlimited mobile data with tethering, limit cap of 600gb apparently and mifi dongles. Veering towards a mifi dongle, as I’m sure I’m never going to use 600gb a month but as a bloke, I’d like to have a no limit cap ‘just in case.’

Do any of you have these dongles? Or get WiFi by other means?

There’s been a few times where my O2 signal has been awful in truck stops, cutting in and out during video calls to the better half, and having previously used EE, I would possibly go with them, as my experience has always been good with them.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

You’ve really got to be going some to go through 600GB a month unless you’re downloading games and updates for a PC or Xbox/PS and streaming 4K ultra HD HDR with Dolby Atmos sound which I doubt you are in your truck.

Sis in law uses one of those Mifi type things and seems quite happy with it. She has the 5G Home Broadband hub from Three which is £20 a month. Runs off mains though. They’ve got an offer on their 4G Mifi though which works off battery/rechargeable. Both unlimited data.

three.co.uk/store/broadband … -plus-mifi

Conor:
You’ve really got to be going some to go through 600GB a month unless you’re downloading games and updates for a PC or Xbox/PS and streaming 4K ultra HD HDR with Dolby Atmos sound which I doubt you are in your truck.

Sis in law uses one of those Mifi type things and seems quite happy with it. She has the 5G Home Broadband hub from Three which is £20 a month. Runs off mains though. They’ve got an offer on their 4G Mifi though which works off battery/rechargeable. Both unlimited data.

three.co.uk/store/broadband … -plus-mifi

And the signals been good on three? For the most part? Ideally would be using it for a few online games, will give it a look

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

As posted above unless your watching UHD ■■■■ every minute of the day then you need 600gb

Otherwise 50gb is way more then enough three is cheapest however stay away from them absolutely crap ee is the best and is still reasonable price well for me

used to use a wifi dongle when tramping, excellent kit, sim only deal for it, try tesco for that , good coverage and take ie on holiday if you want wifi there.

Park near b q they have free WiFi what I do…
Or if you park on estates near industry half the time you can pick up free wi-fi .
Or if have an unused mobile phone get a sim only contact or PAYG sim. And use your old mobile as a hotspot worked for me

24 GB usage in a month and that’s with plenty use throughout day and evening, kids use it as hotspot at weekends if we go out .

So a 50gb plan would be more than enough.

I have 300gb with 02 its only £20 per month (150gb boosted to 300gb because I have virgin media), its more than enough i dont think i have gone above 100gb yet and it gets hammered, live sport movies etc. But always make sure you download a good few hours of stuff when you are at home so you have something to watch if you end up parked up somewhere with a bad signal. You can also go into your phone settings and put a warning on when you reach a certain amount, i think you can also cap it through your phone.

ID Mobile do a 24 month unlimited plan for £16. It is on three network so not the best but I have no complaints, the only place I fail to get a signal is in parts of the Lake District. You can always set up a WIFI in your vehicle with an external areial, quick look on Amazon such a system will cost about £70

SMARTY £20 unlimited data (uses EE network)
(on Blackfridays will offer it at £15 for a 12mth period, still on 1 month contract – been using this at £15 a month for 2 years+ in house and cab/car)
1 month plan, cancel anytime
Fast 5G, 4G & 3G data
5G available with enabled devices

https://smarty.co.uk/plans/unlimited

By a - Mifi - off amazon and dont get locked into a contract

TonkaBoy:
(on Blackfridays will offer it at £15 for a 12mth period, still on 1 month contract – been using this at £15 a month for 2 years+ in house and cab/car)
Fast 5G, 4G & 3G data

https://smarty.co.uk/plans/unlimited

Ummm…SMARTY uses 3 network :wink:

RIPPER:

TonkaBoy:
Fast 5G, 4G & 3G data

Best Unlimited Data SIM Plan with (No Speed Restriction)

Ummm…SMARTY uses 3 network :wink:

Yeap … Friday brain ■■■■ lol… still had good reception throughout…

If you’ve got a friend or family member who works for tesco they’ll be able to get you a ‘super duper colleague deal’ from Tesco Mobile which runs off 02. It’s unlimited everything including 5G where available for £10 per month. And with no price rises for the duration of the contract, which us a big thing given that a lot of contracts these days seem to have a clause for automatic increases year on year - for instance 02 is something like RPI + 4% which obviously at the moment could end up being 13% or more.

TruckDriverBen:
As posted above unless your watching UHD ■■■■ every minute of the day then you need 600gb

Well now you mention it…

Ken.

I used to have a WiFi box but now have a sim deal for unlimited data and minutes for £26 a month from Vodafone.

look at VOXI