Widnes truck stop long ago

I don’t know if the rat hole is still there but I would sometimes stop at Widnes truck stop many years ago, it was a rat infested hell hole but had a good cafe and bar etc, it was frequented by hookers and undesirables of all sorts.
A group of drivers from TDG were regulars and one in particular ‘Mark’ was a big lad who could take care of himself. In the early 90’s a womans body was found in the lorry park, by sheer coincidence TDG guys seemed to vanish, not only that but the photofit the cops were handing around at the truck stop on a nightly basis was a dead ringer for Mark who everyone knew but … Not one person seemed to recognise the image :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I got on quite well with him, not saying he actually did it because he was very mild mannered unless provoked.

I wonder if they ever did find the killer ?

No they didn’t, the woman who was murdered was my dad’s friends sister. They closed the place down about six years ago, there’s some work going on at the site now but I don’t know what it is

Pat Hasler:
A group of drivers from TDG were regulars and one in particular ‘Mark’ was a big lad who could take care of himself. In the early 90’s a womans body was found in the lorry park, by sheer coincidence TDG guys seemed to vanish, not only that but the photofit the cops were handing around at the truck stop on a nightly basis was a dead ringer for Mark who everyone knew but … Not one person seemed to recognise the image :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I got on quite well with him, not saying he actually did it because he was very mild mannered unless provoked.

I expect they will now that you’ve fingered him. :wink:

Ok, thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Well that’s a name from the past, only stopped there once didn’t think much of it.

Haa, the " Roll in motel " was its name, had some good nights in there, because it was a motel the bar never shut, I remember all the workers from asda supermarket across the other side of the A557, used to come in after they finished their shift at 11pm, then the bar livened up again ! :laughing:

Last time I stopped there I was on my way to set up a show that weekend at a Ford plant in nearby, me and the very irritating helper I had were not booked into the hotel at the site until the next day so we stopped there, I slept in the cab and made the ■■■■■■ rent a room … 10 quid a night so high class :laughing: We got a taxi and went down town to a pub where he got into and argument with some locals, I expected to hear that he had been murdered during the night as I left the idiot there to face the music, to my disapointment he was still alive and eating breakfast the next day in the cafe :frowning:
We moved on to our site and hotel that day and I have never been back since.
(He complained about being bitten by something during the night).

Where abouts in Widnes did it used to be?

Tarrman:
Where abouts in Widnes did it used to be?

Here :slight_smile: goo.gl/maps/FDdmM

Harry Monk:

Pat Hasler:

I expect they will now that you’ve fingered him. :wink:

Well not that I would want to get any innocent person in trouble with the law but if anyone committed murder then they deserve to be caught, my attention has been drawn to this case again after 30 years. If for instance if one of the TDG drivers actually killed the poor woman then he should be caught and made to face the long arm of the law. I don’t care if the killer was my best friend, I would still shop them, it’s not like someone stealing pallets or taking things off the back of a lorry a person had their life taken away from them.

First time I went in there I asked the barmaid what time for the strippers? I was told there are none. Went back to cab and got the paper showing the advert for strippers. Told again none, so I said, so get your kit off. Punters spat out mouthfuls of beer and laughed, and her reply was, If I did, the bar would be empty :smiley:

Pat Hasler:
I don’t know if the rat hole is still there but I would sometimes stop at Widnes truck stop many years ago, it was a rat infested hell hole but had a good cafe and bar etc, it was frequented by hookers and undesirables of all sorts.

There’s a 30 grand reward apparently runcornandwidnesworld.co.uk … -30-years/

thetruecrimepagepodcast.blogspo … erson.html

Could Mark be the bloke in the wool shop, or the other 5’11’’ fella?

Wheel Nut:
The True Crime Page Podcast: THE UNSOLVED MURDER OF VERONICA ANDERSON

Could Mark be the bloke in the wool shop, or the other 5’11’’ fella?

Actually now I think about it I seem to think his name might have been Martin, whatever, he was a dead ringer for the description of the guy police wanted to talk with. But he was dark haired and over 6 feet tall. The guy in the wool shop doesn’t fit description.

Pat Hasler:
Last time I stopped there I was on my way to set up a show that weekend at a Ford plant in nearby, me and the very irritating helper I had were not booked into the hotel at the site until the next day so we stopped there, I slept in the cab and made the ■■■■■■ rent a room … 10 quid a night so high class :laughing: We got a taxi and went down town to a pub where he got into and argument with some locals, I expected to hear that he had been murdered during the night as I left the idiot there to face the music, to my disapointment he was still alive and eating breakfast the next day in the cafe :frowning:
We moved on to our site and hotel that day and I have never been back since.
(He complained about being bitten by something during the night).

Wow that helper must have been a pain. I can imagine you expecting him to get a beating.

I don’t think that Gezza was far from the truth in the top gear truck episode.

weeto:
I don’t think that Gezza was far from the truth in the top gear truck episode.

My thoughts exactly, makes me wonder why he gets such bad press!