Wide load's using outside lanes

Driving down the A1 yesterday afternoon just passed grantham, on the other carriageway i noticed a lowloader with one of those massive combine harversters with the chunky tyres overtaking a stobarts truck on a down hill stetch,

the lowloader had all the bells and whisltes as far as flashing lights go as the combine spread well over a single lane, i was just a but suprised to see one overtaking, have never seen one overtake before normally its you over taking them.

i can only asumme the driver of the lowloader was taking advantage of the momentum a 40 tone combine generates going down a hill.

For those of you on here who do this for a living do you use the outside lane on a dual carriageway when your transporting wide loads to overtake other artics :question:

IMPO though doing that you leave your self very little space between the central barrier and the truck your overtaking :confused: but that my opinion only.

big joe would be the man for this question as combines are part of his specalist knowlage.
personally i have moved a couple combines in the past and i wouldnt overtake unless the guy i was passing was really going slow but thats just me

I was running to and from Hull along the M62 a lot last year and saw loads of those Skelton Transport rigids with mobile homes on the back of them. They thought nothing of using lane 2 to overtake stuff on the dual carriageway bit and there couldn’t have been much more than 12" between the street lights down the central res on the offside and the mirrors of the truck at the side of them on the nearside. :open_mouth: Personally I thought that it was pretty irresponsible driving as it would only take a slight gust of wind to blow them a bit off course and into the side of whatever is alongside.

I usually nail the cruise con at 50 mph Dual carriage or M way and chill, but getting stuck behind someone who can’t maintain a constant speed above 45 mph soon starts to ■■■■ me off, and as a combine rarely weighs more than 16 tonnes, squirting past dawdlers doesn’t take long :grimacing: