Wide loads needing second man

Hi

If I have 5 wide load vehicles travelling from A to B requiring a second man due to their width
Do I need to put a second man in each vehicle travelling in convoy?

Also if I put an ■■■■■■ vehicle on the convoy how many wide vehicles can an ■■■■■■ vehicle ■■■■■■?

Looking at options to get these loads from A to B that are within the highways regs but cant find info on this anywhere.

Thankyou for any help

When you put the notice on each relevant police force usually tell you what they require, i do long ones to a regular job in Scotland and upto 24meters i just need a second man , but at 25 meters they say i need an ■■■■■■ van even though the trailers still opened up to the same length , it really is a minefield

We are going up to Scotland from mid Wales , with 17’ wide loads . We go 4 loads at a time with 2 ■■■■■■ vans . No second man . As soon as we get to Scotland we have police ■■■■■■ as well, 3 police cars .
In the past we have done convoys of 4 with second man just in front and rear vehicles , that was far from ideal tho especially when you get split up at traffic lights etc :unamused: no idea if that was legal , doubtful probably :confused:

from what I have found on internet I understand that any extra wide load needs a second man so we have been placing a second man in each vehicle to be safe,
Is it front and rear only required in a convoy?
also I am prepping our fleet support vehicles for service and am going to prep for ■■■■■■ to save on 4 -5 second men.
Would like clarification on this as no online support available on this topic

As far as i’m aware its 1 ■■■■■■ van per 2 trucks, if no ■■■■■■ van then its a convoy of max 3 with attendants in front and rear vehicles, you dont need attendants when using an ■■■■■■ van as the driver of the ■■■■■■ is classed as being the attendant.

Would the police forces that you pass through, or the Highway Agency, not be the best to ask. After all, if you have their answer of their interpretation /requirements in writing, there is not much they can do to you.

According to the legislation, if abnormal loads are travelling in convoy an attendant is only required in the first and last vehicles. Many police forces however require that no more than 2 abnormal loads can travel in convoy together, effectively meaning that a second man is required in every vehicle.

the nodding donkey:
Would the police forces that you pass through, or the Highway Agency, not be the best to ask. After all, if you have their answer of their interpretation /requirements in writing, there is not much they can do to you.

+1 you know you’ll get mmtm