Why use bungees

Hi,

Can some one please tell me why i see some drivers have bungee cords on the back of the tractor and the suzies hanging over them
is there an advantage of this and if so is there a particular way to do it

Many Thanks

Mac

It keeps the lines hanging from high up, to save them from dragging under the trailer and getting covered in grease, or catching the corners and breaking

Stops them resting on the catwalk or getting tangled up in each other for the most part.

Just get a suitable length of bungee, attach one end to the wind deflectors and the other round the suzie, hey presto.

A.

Its just to keep them out of the grease from the edge of the fifth wheel as some units have them located low down. I just have mine short as the trailer to rear of the cab is very close, so close i have to connect up before im fully on the pin…

AndrewG:
Its just to keep them out of the grease from the edge of the fifth wheel as some units have them located low down. I just have mine short as the trailer to rear of the cab is very close, so close i have to connect up before im fully on the pin…

With someone, of course, finding a way to smear grease everywhere when hooking up to the trailer at some point.

Everywhere.

A.

obviously the real reason is so that you can tie up your bike,ladder,sunbed and picnic table securely onto the rear of the cab as these are must have items on euro work for those evenings off duty. :slight_smile:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

With someone, of course, finding a way to smear grease everywhere when hooking up to the trailer at some point.

Everywhere.

A.

I always keep a carrier bag full of rags and some brake cleaner to get rid of any grease someone may have left over the trailer connections as well, some seem to like smearing it everywhere… :unamused:

AndrewG:
I always keep a carrier bag full of rags and some brake cleaner to get rid of any grease someone may have left over the trailer connections as well, some seem to like smearing it everywhere… :unamused:

I’ve never thought of that. Does brake cleaner work? the stuff just seems to multiply when you get it on your hands and clothes.

AndrewG:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

Everywhere.

A.

I know what’s getting put in the dirty locker this week, cheers! Degreaser seems beaten by the stuff.

A.

tommymanc:

AndrewG:

I’ve never thought of that. Does brake cleaner work? the stuff just seems to multiply when you get it on your hands and clothes.

Can of wd40 is just as good

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

daftvader:

tommymanc:

AndrewG:

Brake cleaner is cheaper :laughing:

A.

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

Adonis.:

AndrewG:

Everywhere.

A.

I know what’s getting put in the dirty locker this week, cheers! Degreaser seems beaten by the stuff.

A.

A Uk site i found up but available off amazon as well probably a bit cheaper, the pump up spray bottle is quick and easy to use , i just douse any greasy parts in brake cleaner and wipe it away, it evaporates quickly and out of various products ive used brake cleaner comes out tops.

coxmotorparts.co.uk/wurth-3- … -4285.html

Never seen it in England but a lot of European trucks with deep pins used to have a piece of channel on a pivot near the front of the 5th.wheel which carried air and electric susies to connect to the trailer from the rear of the chassis.This way,the pivot used to follow the front of the trailer as it swung round without clarting the susies.

daftvader:

tommymanc:

AndrewG:

And possibly healthier! That brake cleaner is dodgy stuff and it evaporates much quicker than WD.

If the airlines are touching the catwalk or other object and show signs of rubbing you can get a ticket for chafed airlines and put out of service, the bungee’s keep the lines off any such object. Bungee’s are actually illegal to use for that purpose in the USA and most trucks have a spring mechanism to lift the lines off the catwalk. I was stopped in Toronto last year for having bungee’s holding stuff on the catwalk, I was not given a ticket, I just had to remove them. It seems bungee’s can only be used here to secure the tarps (Sheets).

Thanks guys , i hate grease all over the lines so now I’m going for brake cleaner and a bungee

Cheers
Mac

TiredAndEmotional:
And possibly healthier! That brake cleaner is dodgy stuff and it evaporates much quicker than WD.

I always use gloves and expect most would anyway, its only dodgy if you start drinking it :grimacing: Evaporating quickly is an advantage imo, using wd40 will be an expensive way to do it and everything remains greasy, it doesnt evaporate…

mac1328:
Thanks guys , i hate grease all over the lines so now I’m going for brake cleaner and a bungee

Cheers
Mac

Acetone works a treat, so if you have a mate works with fibre glass a lot, i.e. a boat yard.
Have a word with them… :wink:

Adonis.:

daftvader:

tommymanc:

AndrewG:

Brake cleaner is cheaper :laughing:

A.

diesel even cheaper. :grimacing: thank you. :sunglasses:

I use bungees to keep my Suzies as low as possible. If they are high they catch my trailer and cause all sorts of problems!