Why no air suspension on front axle?

Why isnt air suspension standard, on front axles on trucks? I had an Sreg Eurostar with with air on all axles and I can remember a friend of mine had a Twingo on an X plate, with all round air, and they were both really comforatable to drive. Is it something to do with cost I guess it is?

Could even be for weight saving in the UK as you still have a spring leaf and then a suspended air spring.

We had them on United Carriers on the drawbar outfits as the kneeling effect was used to swap the box bodies.

i would assume as front suspension takes a lot less of the load so the weight on the axle doesn’t alter as much. The rear axle takes the bulk of the load so you can alter the firmness to minimise wear on the road & truck

more useful why no side to side air suspension movement
ideal for taillift alignment

hitch:
more useful why no side to side air suspension movement
ideal for taillift alignment

And sleeping with your head level instead of beneath your toes :smiley:

When I worked for Kepstowe we had air suspension on the steer axle and it isn’t nice. It removes your contact with the road.

I’ve only driven an FH with air on the front axle. It was ok, softer ride, but, a little more wallowy as well. I’ll guess its rare due to extra cost.

bugcos:
Why isnt air suspension standard, on front axles on trucks? I had an Sreg Eurostar with with air on all axles and I can remember a friend of mine had a Twingo on an X plate, with all round air, and they were both really comforatable to drive. Is it something to do with cost I guess it is?

Hm… Twingo with all round air… Can’t imagine that…

:grimacing: :grimacing:

cause when you park up overnight ,u wake up in the morning and your lovely extra addon bumper kit has made contact with the road :slight_smile:

We have a DAF drawbar with air suspension on the front and it rolls and pitches all over the place, even on roads with good tarmac and it can be a handful when you are on the twisty and bumpy stuff. The only thing it is useful for is when you are tipping on an incline and you can jack up the rear and lower the front or vice versa to keep it level, or like somebody else has said if you are using picking up or dropping off demountables but we don’t have them - thank god!.

Or if you are really bored in standing traffic you can bounce it up and down to entertain the traffic it around you. :unamused: