Why has the “David Mitchell thread” been booted to Bullies?

Why on Earth has this thread been booted to bullies? The comments he made are about relevant topics. There was virtually no comedy in the video, rather a misguided argument on;-

1/ Road haulage is inefficient
2/ Road haulage not contributing to the road system
3/ fuel blockades
4/ argument that rail is a far better solution

Seems odd when most material allowed to languish in the interactive forum is neither relevant or to do with transport. (See the thread “Johnny foreigner…” ), or one allowed to exist that solely discusses music. Both good threads to read in themselves, but highlight it’s bizarre a thread to do with road haulage is transported to the backwaters of Bullies.

Please could you reinstate it? Thanks for your response.

Not wishing to stir the pot, but I tend to agree. David Mitchell’s caractureal verbal observations and humourous relatable prose I find interesting and although he is a sharp witted intelligent fellow who has sold out to the wealth building culture of mainstream comedy the points he raised in the video in question where not without merit, even if just an exaggerated observation of how the general public perceive road haulage. I find the juxtaposition of comedic turns that touch nerves or raise issues a good medium for critique and omg are you still reading this, look I’ve deliberately not used paragraphs as I’m on a waffle, in fact I’ve no clue what I’m talking about by this point but I do like David Mitchell and many other public figures that have grown facial hair to look cool like Theresa May for example.

Dipper_Dave:
Not wishing to stir the pot, but I tend to agree. David Mitchell’s caractureal verbal observations and humourous relatable prose I find interesting and although he is a sharp witted intelligent fellow who has sold out to the wealth building culture of mainstream comedy the points he raised in the video in question where not without merit, even if just an exaggerated observation of how the general public perceive road haulage. I find the juxtaposition of comedic turns that touch nerves or raise issues a good medium for critique and omg are you still reading this, look I’ve deliberately not used paragraphs as I’m on a waffle, in fact I’ve no clue what I’m talking about by this point but I do like David Mitchell and many other public figures that have grown facial hair to look cool like Theresa May for example.

I got my hopes up a Mod had replied then! I agree, cheers Dave.

Thing is, him being a comedian is really beside the point. That’s my whole point to the mods. The content wasn’t actually a joke. It was chellenging road haulage and it’s merits. He genuinely is stating a few arguments against haulage, and arguments worthy of discussion. Bullies is labelled “anything but transport”. With the DM thread if that isn’t about transport or worthy of the main forum then I don’t know what is.

I find it…surprising shall we say that this has been booted to Bullies when held in stark relief against some of the dubious material that is allowed to languish on the interactive forum. The thread was barely matured beyond infancy before it was booted.

It begs the question, what then should exist on the interactive forum? A bit of an issue given the current frustration at the trolling that exists.

Hey, btw I have a beard :laughing: but I don’t think I look very cool :laughing:

Freight Dog:
Why on Earth has this thread been booted to bullies?

As you said yourself, it’s from 2010, so hardly of any relevance now.

As you also said yourself “There was virtually no comedy in the video, rather his misguided argument…”

Which all makes it absolutely spot-on material for Bully’s.

Freight Dog:
Please could you reinstate it?

Sorry, but no.

Freight Dog:
Thanks for your response.

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been to work and got to go out again shortly.

dieseldave:

Freight Dog:
Why on Earth has this thread been booted to bullies?

As you said yourself, it’s from 2010, so hardly of any relevance now.

As you also said yourself “There was virtually no comedy in the video, rather his misguided argument…”

Which all makes it absolutely spot-on material for Bully’s.

Freight Dog:
Please could you reinstate it?

Sorry, but no.

Freight Dog:
Thanks for your response.

Sorry for the delay, I’ve been to work and got to go out again shortly.

Thanks for your response Dave. Much appreciate you getting back and understand you mod this voluntarily in spare time.

Re 2010 not relevant. (appreciate you may not have done it) I think this highly smacks of policing the forum based upon personal taste rather than objectivity.

The content is if anything more relevant today - those issues are not disappearing. Additionally, if time frame were to go by then no discussion would take place about anything that happened prior to this year.

What’s the main forum for? Discussion about the haulage industry. And this topic was about just that. No trolling, no make believe stories, no weeing in bottles or your favourite music.

If that subject was not fit for discussion on the board, then I don’t know what is. I’m not harping on this for the sake of the actual thread (who cares) , rather bemusement at the logic given the continuous troll threads that are allowed to exist on the main forum remain unchallenged and are not booted into Bullies. Take a look down the main boards and I’d say half of the material is not about the transport industry and that’s discounting the trolled material that resides there.

There is frustration that troll threads exist with only a “they’re not breaking rules” approach onky for content such as the DM thread to be booted off. So far the logic or responses as to why this thread was booted have rung hollow and I accept there’s nothing to be done.

I’m fully braced the tone from above seems to been in the past (not from you I add) like it or lump it or “sod off” if not happy . I am braced for that, and accept that nothing can be done further once that is said. That is the way of it and I do accept merit in that sentiment as a line has to be drawn somewhere. That still does not remove the slight frustration of long term posters.

For some of us at least, we’ve no desire to not use the forum, rather hope it continues to be a valuable and engaging triangulation point of the Uk road transport Industry.

Cheers for your time mate and good luck keeping up with it all :laughing:

Freight Dog:
Thanks for your response Dave. Much appreciate you getting back and understand you mod this voluntarily in spare time.

Re 2010 not relevant. (appreciate you may not have done it) I think this highly smacks of policing the forum based upon personal taste rather than objectivity.

Hi Freight Dog,

It is objectivity, rather than subjectivity.

Due to lack of time, I’m cherry picking…

Freight Dog:
What’s the main forum for? Discussion about the haulage industry. And this topic was about just that. No trolling, no make believe stories, no weeing in bottles or your favourite music.

You’re spot-on, which is why I’m wondering about your logic… It wasn’t any kind of discussion about the haulage industry, hence it got moved.
Still being objective, it was a very biased monologue, which bordered on a rant.

Freight Dog:
If that subject was not fit for discussion on the board, then I don’t know what is. I’m not harping on this for the sake of the actual thread (who cares) ,

I’m with you so far.

Freight Dog:
rather bemusement at the logic given the continuous troll threads that are allowed to exist on the main forum remain unchallenged and are not booted into Bullies. Take a look down the main boards and I’d say half of the material is not about the transport industry and that’s discounting the trolled material that resides there.

I’ve spotted that this is a separate idea to your premise for this topic. The post that got moved wasn’t trolling, so it went to Bully’s where it belongs.
(So we’ve done that one now.)

The trolling posts can turn out that way, but quite often start off as a perfectly OK topic.
Now, I do admit that they can very quickly go massively off-topic, usually as a result of being hijacked by those with a trolling agenda, or who just introduce crap for (what they think is) a laugh.

Freight Dog:
There is frustration that troll threads exist with only a “they’re not breaking rules” approach onky for content such as the DM thread to be booted off. So far the logic or responses as to why this thread was booted have rung hollow and I accept there’s nothing to be done.

The Mod Team aren’t a 24/7 operation, so sometimes something takes root before one of us spots it. The other variable is that there is natural variation in Mods’ interpretation and even somebody’s mood, so I’d just say that it’s not an exact science.

Freight Dog:
I’m fully braced the tone from above seems to been in the past (not from you I add) like it or lump it or “sod off” if not happy . I am braced for that, and accept that nothing can be done further once that is said. That is the way of it and I do accept merit in that sentiment as a line has to be drawn somewhere. That still does not remove the slight frustration of long term posters.

I don’t use that one very often, I usually keep it for ‘special’ people. :smiley:

Freight Dog:
For some of us at least, we’ve no desire to not use the forum, rather hope it continues to be a valuable and engaging triangulation point of the Uk road transport Industry.

I’ve noticed that you’ve spoken in the plural, so is there more than one of you? :smiley:

Freight Dog:

I’m having trouble keeping up with just this one Carryfastesque post (yes I know it’s an unfair comparison, :laughing: ) but as for my time, the invoice is in the post. :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldave:

Freight Dog:

Hi Freight Dog,

It is objectivity, rather than subjectivity.

Due to lack of time, I’m cherry picking…

Freight Dog:

You’re spot-on, which is why I’m wondering about your logic… It wasn’t any kind of discussion about the haulage industry, hence it got moved.
Still being objective, it was a very biased monologue, which bordered on a rant.

Freight Dog:
If that subject was not fit for discussion on the board, then I don’t know what is. I’m not harping on this for the sake of the actual thread (who cares) ,

I’m with you so far.

Freight Dog:
rather bemusement at the logic given the continuous troll threads that are allowed to exist on the main forum remain unchallenged and are not booted into Bullies. Take a look down the main boards and I’d say half of the material is not about the transport industry and that’s discounting the trolled material that resides there.

I’ve spotted that this is a separate idea to your premise for this topic. The post that got moved wasn’t trolling, so it went to Bully’s where it belongs.
(So we’ve done that one now.)

The trolling posts can turn out that way, but quite often start off as a perfectly OK topic.
Now, I do admit that they can very quickly go massively off-topic, usually as a result of being hijacked by those with a trolling agenda, or who just introduce crap for (what they think is) a laugh.

Freight Dog:

The Mod Team aren’t a 24/7 operation, so sometimes something takes root before one of us spots it. The other variable is that there is natural variation in Mods’ interpretation and even somebody’s mood, so I’d just say that it’s not an exact science.

Freight Dog:

I don’t use that one very often, I usually keep it for ‘special’ people. :smiley:

Freight Dog:

I’ve noticed that you’ve spoken in the plural, so is there more than one of you? :smiley:

Freight Dog:

I’m having trouble keeping up with just this one Carryfastesque post (yes I know it’s an unfair comparison, :laughing: ) but as for my time, the invoice is in the post. :laughing: :laughing:

Ok.

I think we’re going to be at chalk and cheese. No point playing a trumpet if someone can only hear drums. So the issue is best to bed.

Well, It was a chat between you and I so, you know - I thought I’d wheel out a grown up paragraphed response the adult world has no issue with using day to day :wink: :laughing: . Wasted it seems.

Not quite sure the need for the grammar thing. I used “we” collectively. As in fellow users of the forum. I don’t tend to talk of myself in the collective. If I were to, I’m sure the issuers of my medical might have a thing or two to say about that; and then Trucknet would be the least of my concerns!

Thanks for reading the feedback.

All the best. FD