Why don't more UK firms double man?

Just wondering really, seems popular with european firms yet the only companies I see doing it here are static caravan movers and the odd fridge firm (continental express, Visbeen, HSF)

Would you want to run the risk of getting stuck in a tiny lorry cab for god knows how long with some of the ■■■■■ on this site?
Think how some of them act and behave on here, assume they also act like this in the real world then be thankful you’re still single manned!

The-Snowman:
Would you want to run the risk of getting stuck in a tiny lorry cab for god knows how long with some of the [zb] on this site?

so what you’re saying is they don’t exist because UK drivers would turn their noses up at it? :laughing:

personally id never double man, cabs are small enough for one person let alone anyone else

maga:
so what you’re saying is they don’t exist because UK drivers would turn their noses up at it? :laughing:

Well “turn their nose up at it” would suggest someone thinks it beneath them. Id say more a case of avoiding a jail sentence for murder! :laughing:

Double manned is double the work for half the pay ,or can be, But until they make bigger cabs it’s to be avoided where possible , Though i have had some good times when double manned in the past, but the longer hours and shorter daily rest periods are not missed at all

been there seen it done it got the tee shirt just over a year doing spain every week fish down friut or chicken back
more or less the same route most of the time though france then bilbao madrid then almeria six days 18/22 hours for next to nothing
certainly would not do it again but somtimes a job is a job

in the uk i do the odd run out of newark doublemanned not too bad but prefer an english speaker as it makes the time go quicker

About 75% of our trips are double manned, more for security than hours. Drivers seem OK with it, they’d leave otherwise. It’s easy money in some ways, if you are doing the hours that one man can do, but only driving half but still getting the same rate of pay, not too shabby.

It’s possible you can put two euro drivers in a cab for the same wage cost as one Brit.

I wouldn’t want it for many reasons, the main one being that i want to be on my own, goes with the job.

Juddian:
I wouldn’t want it for many reasons, the main one being that i want to be on my own, goes with the job.

And you’re a children’s entertainer? :open_mouth:

Notimetoulouse:
been there seen it done it got the tee shirt just over a year doing spain every week fish down friut or chicken back
more or less the same route most of the time though france then bilbao madrid then almeria six days 18/22 hours for next to nothing
certainly would not do it again but somtimes a job is a job

in the uk i do the odd run out of newark doublemanned not too bad but prefer an english speaker as it makes the time go quicker

and less chance of getting arse raped.

Evil8Beezle:

Juddian:

And you’re a children’s entertainer? :open_mouth:

Er have you seen my pic…hint, its on the left…hopefully i’ll scare the little sods off, can’t stand 'em… :laughing:

maga:
Just wondering really, seems popular with european firms yet the only companies I see doing it here are static caravan movers and the odd fridge firm (continental express, Visbeen, HSF)

Visbeen = Dutch
Static caravan movers because have you ever tried to drop one of them off a beaver tail on your own? + they tend to be a little on the wide side when your negotiating country roads to the seaside.

Double manned? :open_mouth: sod that, I like my own company too much.
To do it you would really have to get on with the guy big style, imagine doing a month on Euro with some gobby ■■■■■■ (Yeh, I know what you are thinking before you reply :smiley: ) or some dirty sod who never washed and stunk.
I’ve had mates I have known for years do tours with me years ago, we’ve had a laugh, and some good nights out, but even then, by the end of the trip I was getting a bit arsey with them and less tolerant.
I am twenty years older now and twenty years grumpier, I would probably end up reurning home on my own now. :smiley:

I’m struggling to think of a single reason I’d consider double manning, the only one I’ve come up with is exceptional money, and that’s not sounding logical! :laughing:

I see lots of delivery firms are double manning now.

Radar19:
I see lots of delivery firms are double manning now.

That’s a driver and monkey isn’t it? :laughing:

I know a guy who double mans (or did). Trunking up to Scotland with another bloke. He enjoyed it enough. 1 trip a day with a guy he liked.

maga:

Work 21 hours out of every 30? No thanks. The Static Caravan movers aren’t double manned, they have a drivers mate because the wide load regs require it, they usually don’t have a LGV license and are on minimum wage.

Conor:
The Static Caravan movers aren’t double manned, they have a drivers mate because the wide load regs require it, they usually don’t have a LGV license and are on minimum wage.

And thats just the driver!

The 2 guys at our place that do the double manned trunk to pallex every night have been doing it for 10yrs now. Normally between 14-15hrs per shift. One of them made a joking comment recently that they’ve spent more time together than they have with their families in the past 10yrs. As much as he was making a joke out of it, it’s quite sad to think that it’s true.