Why don`t drivers talk to other drivers?

I see this all the time, in truckstops they sit alone avoiding eye contact, more so in Rugby truckstop by the same firm that own it .
Going back a long time , it was normal when running around Europe to drop the trailer and run solo unit to meet up with other drivers for a laugh and a chat and a few beers .
When you break down now or have a tyre blow out, it is pick up the phone and somebody comes to help, where as years ago, you would have to change your own unit or trailer tyres by taking spares with you.
I have heard of drivers taking spare engine parts with them or a spare clutch to do it themselves if needs be, the cab full of tool boxes and kit to keep you on the road.
Other drivers would stop to give a hand, or help out striping down a tilt trailer and putting it back together again, not easy in 45 degree heat or freezing cold weather, no health and safety nonsense climbing at height on top of the trailer pulling back a sheet that weighed nearly a ton .
No mobile phones, no sat nav, call in a cafe to receive the reload fax for collections in the middle of nowhere.
No trackers, just get on the ferry you were booked on.

Don’t known they are born todays drivers Toby,I remember air wipers used to stick all the time ,no heaters or a carpet over the rad to get her warmed up . I did miss the days of solid tyres must have been a good idea no puncture and blow outs to contend with ,ha those were the days.

Have you noticed when they park up at night, they pull over their cab curtain and are anti social, nobody has time for anyone else anymore, lorry driving by choice is a lonely job, all day on your own, no social interaction where you unload or reload apart
from you are late and what took you so long.
The council at Wetherby should be ashamed of them selves for banning over night Lgv parking on the industry estate.
The social club was a hidden gem for drivers to unwind after a long day,
In media reports of a driver using a weight limit, they report it as a rogue driver.
The council replies with we will clamp down
on rogue drivers. Total muppets until they want their garden shed delivery down a weight limit or night time curfew.

The reasons are,
Drivers are always moaning about something or telling you about,
The ferry I just missed,
I don’t usually drive this motor,
It suits me to be agency,
Etc, etc

I find myself talking to bulkers and walking floor drivers plenty as your normally queuing for ages at some sites. Pretty amazing small talk sometimes - “how long have you been waiting?” “where did your scrap come from?”. You see the same people every few days/weeks and obviously only chat to the ones you have figured out are ok.

Lucky for me in my work you don’t here such comments like “I normally drive an artic im just in this van for the day”.

toby1234abc:
No mobile phones, no sat nav, call in a cafe to receive the reload fax for collections in the middle of nowhere.

Come on Toby, tell the story properly, you mean waiting for the reload telex. :wink:

Im guilty of this, on the rare occasion I venture into a truckstop cafe I will find a quite corner and relax happy with just myself for company.

But when back in the truck I will happily pass the time of day with my neighbour, even if its just a simple hello, alright etc. I also try and ask what time they are leaving, just a way of looking out for one another really.

Even the most mundane work related conversations are welcome somedays as I can be a little shy but very open to making new friends.

Maybe we are all very similar and sometimes a simple opening gambit is all thats needed to get the conversation flowing.
That said i usually spend more time masterbating than in social situations, omg its great I cant be the only one doing this on a regular basis surely.

We have a chat with all drivers that come in. Some even get a cup of tea or coffee. Just depends if we like the look of ya :sunglasses:

Here’s another thought.
How often have you heard a driver laugh out loud in a truckstop/ferry/side of the road burger van or an RDC?

I have never heard it in ten years but looking at some posts/threads it seems it’s a laughter fest.

Just when did lol replace a full stop?

Most of the times the other truckers grunts can not be interpreted.

Why don’t drivers talk to each other? You listened to some of them on here? Do you really want to run the risk of gettin trapped in a conversation with some of the sterling examples of early man that frequent this forum?

+1

toby1234abc:
I see this all the time, in truckstops they sit alone avoiding eye contact, more so in Rugby truckstop by the same firm that own it .
Going back a long time , it was normal when running around Europe to drop the trailer and run solo unit to meet up with other drivers for a laugh and a chat and a few beers .
When you break down now or have a tyre blow out, it is pick up the phone and somebody comes to help, where as years ago, you would have to change your own unit or trailer tyres by taking spares with you.
I have heard of drivers taking spare engine parts with them or a spare clutch to do it themselves if needs be, the cab full of tool boxes and kit to keep you on the road.
Other drivers would stop to give a hand, or help out striping down a tilt trailer and putting it back together again, not easy in 45 degree heat or freezing cold weather, no health and safety nonsense climbing at height on top of the trailer pulling back a sheet that weighed nearly a ton .
No trackers, just get on the ferry you were booked on.

What a horrid job!

The-Snowman:
Why don’t drivers talk to each other? You listened to some of them on here? Do you really want to run the risk of gettin trapped in a conversation with some of the sterling examples of early man that frequent this forum?

Like me?

i always talk to others, some times even make them a coffee (thats all i carry) manners and politeness cost nothing. if I’m unsure of some of something i always ask other drives,

typical example i was collecting from a yard which was tight getting out of, asked other drivers to watch me and guide me get out. only ever had 1 guy tell me no but needles to say he was a miserable sod.

did you ‘point’ that out to him ? :slight_smile:

I’ll talk to anyone!

But as has been pointed out, a lot of drivers are either whining, moaning, complaining or bragging or a combination of all four!

If I come across one of these in a cafe or burger van, I will just tell them to ■■■■ off and go and find another job if the one they have is so bad.

I remember a lot of what toby says, drivers did talk and help each other once over.
Some tossers today if you nod and say ‘Alright mate’ they just look at you. :unamused:
If a situation occurs where a potential conversation can occur with another driver, I usually try and weigh the driver up. If he’s gobby I avoid him like the plague,… you know the ones the rdc superstar types that talk pure ■■■■. If he looks like a ‘normal’ driver, and if I can be arsed of course, I don’ t push myself but I will say something.
On occasions I have been parked on ind ests next to another driver, struck up a conversation (in a butch manly way you understand :laughing: ) and had a couple of pints and a good crack, but definitely not as often as the old days.
At that time it was a kind of ‘we are all in it together’ type of situation, where as now it’s more like every man for himself in a lot of cases. That is why we will never be able to right the wrongs in the job.

As I am a new driver, I always try and talk to everybody, and I have found that a lot of drivers will offer me advice as well. Often giving me tips and advice, as well as asking where Im off to next and letting me know a good route, and if they have been there before telling me how to find a site or how things work somewhere.

If conversation to all and sundry was part of the job then perhaps coach driving would
have been a better option but since we spend most of our time on our own it might
just be we come to enjoy our own miserable company.