Why do you hate waiting

I’ve noticed a lot of drivers on here are aggrieved by the long waiting times they have to endure while waiting to tip or load or maybe waiting to be allocated a unit at the start of a shift and I can’t understand it. Such a job which involves hours of waiting around is my dream job even if I had to hand in my keys and wait in a grotty driver’s room. I have enough things to do which would keep me from being bored even in a driver’s waiting room. My job at the moment involves very little waiting. At the most maybe 20minutes a day while waiting for sample testing etc before tipping.If you getting paid by the hour what difference does it make whether you are waiting or driving, you still earning. My dream job is containers coz I have seen some maritime drivers waiting ages at some of the places I work. By the time they leave site I have probably used over a thousand calories of energy on physical graft. If only the pay was decent on containers I would definately be applying. For those of you who spend ages waiting I have to say I envy you :grimacing:

the longer i wait in the yard before getting a run sorted,the less i feel like going out!

Not all of us want to do 15 hour shifts as we have family and a life to be getting on with.

I go to work to work, not to sit around off my terms waiting for some brain dead idle chimp to get round to tipping/loading me in his inefficient dump of a place.

A small break is nice, it’s when it takes several hours to do a simple task that my jimmies get rustled. An hour and a half for 5 pallets of the same thing, Sainsburys? 5 hours for a load that was urgent according to you, Tesco? 9 hours to put on 10 big pallets, small packaging place near Leeds?

Luckily I don’t do pallets or supermarkets very much. 30 mins to be loaded and away and 30/45 to get tipped.

A.

And a lot of time the delays are normally when you need to get back home for something or other [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was salaried in my last job so it was job and knock to a certain extent at times and if I had a 3 or 4 hr run then certainly a delay of an hour or so was welcomed anything more than that was obviously eating into my time as I knew I would be finished once reaching base, but if I was on a night out then I didn’t care so much.

Apart from some absolutely grotty waiting rooms one of my main issues is drivers ourselves. I have been driving over 20 years and mobile phones are taking their toll . In a waiting room now look how much conversation their is and how many heads are in phones

McPlod:
Apart from some absolutely grotty waiting rooms one of my main issues is drivers ourselves. I have been driving over 20 years and mobile phones are taking their toll . In a waiting room now look how much conversation their is and how many heads are in phones

Considering the level of conversation you get in drivers rooms, the phone is probably the best option.

I have done containers for Maritime OP.

Be careful what you wish for…1 hour queue waiting to collect your container is common. 3 hours at the tip (loose product) being handballed out of the box… another 1 hour waiting in a queue to have your empty taken off.

Mind numbing :frowning:

Waiting = Wasting

Ie : I charge by the shift, so it’s job and knock
Waiting around is wasting my life :imp:

I get it that we have to wait sometimes, but when it is waiting for no good reason that really ■■■■■■ me off - like when you are 3rd of 5 trunks to the same depot - half full and waiting for 1 lift, then they send the next one half full and the last one empty whilst the blokes at the receiving end are waiting around cos your late back

Being on multidrop its no fun waiting around in a queue. ■■■■■ your day right up.

Three words…

I’m on salary.

Newbie7064:
I’ve noticed a lot of drivers on here are aggrieved by the long waiting times they have to endure while waiting to tip or load or maybe waiting to be allocated a unit at the start of a shift and I can’t understand it. Such a job which involves hours of waiting around is my dream job even if I had to hand in my keys and wait in a grotty driver’s room. I have enough things to do which would keep me from being bored even in a driver’s waiting room. My job at the moment involves very little waiting. At the most maybe 20minutes a day while waiting for sample testing etc before tipping.If you getting paid by the hour what difference does it make whether you are waiting or driving, you still earning. My dream job is containers coz I have seen some maritime drivers waiting ages at some of the places I work. By the time they leave site I have probably used over a thousand calories of energy on physical graft. If only the pay was decent on containers I would definately be applying. For those of you who spend ages waiting I have to say I envy you :grimacing:

Well there are several good suggestions here for you to try. Get your application in. Report back in 12 months. If you last that long! :stuck_out_tongue:

McPlod:

I don’t see much difference in looking at a phone or reading the paper, or a book or doing a crossword. In fact, there’s a fair chance that the person on their phone is doing one of those things.

I also don’t speak Polish or halfwit so wouldn’t be able to have a conversation with most of those in a drivers’ cell.

A.

all these people moaning about “job and knock” “salaried” wages, and how waiting cuts into your time, I understand how getting away early in essence bumps up your hourly rate, but surely if you’ve agreed to pay that earns you less than what you’re happy to be on for a full days work, it’s your own stupid fault.

I only ever did day work so it’s simple really, waiting for a vehicle to come in or the load to be ready, which is then componded by a very slow RDC tip makes the difference between a stressful day wondering whether I am going to get back again or what could have been quite a pleasant day’s work. Traffic congestion and companies stretching day run distances to the limit, but particularly taking no notice of predictable extra time needed on Fridays makes the situation worse. Half an hour late start isn’t a problem, but when that stretches further a relaxed drive becomes a chase to meet RDC booking times, with no time to stop for a toilet break en route. Make that an hour and a half or more late and I needn’t have got out of bed at half past midnight to get to work, especially when quite often the delay was predictable ealier in the evening. The no vehicle available scenario leaves open pressure not to start recording the actual shift start time, because the company wants the vehicle back at the end of the day.

McPlod:

I’ve done hourly pay through agencies, and daily rates direct, so seen both sides and yes, it does get annoying when it’s eating into YOUR time but that’s the job. We’re all different I suppose and I found myself shrugging my shoulders and accepting it as I’m getting older, found the same with motorway hold ups etc, maybe getting more laid back in my old age.

I do boxes, and have no issues with a 3/4/5 hour tip. As long as it’s being unloaded and not a 3 hour wait for a half hour tip, just like Tesco rdc’s etc. And the wages on boxes are good if you’re on the right firm :wink:

I was always allowed to wait in cab and at certain times of the year if it was cold or wet, or if my back was giving me jip I didn’t mind too much, may be even sometimes enjoyed it just relaxing on the bunk, I think I’m quite a lazy sod generally and like my own company. But from what I hear about the modern way of being forced to sit in waiting rooms on uncomfortable seats with others that you don’t want to spend five minutes with let alone hours listing to their woe stories of haemorrhoids or their wifes too fat, or some football team lost - I think it would freak me out. I’m a very quiet person in the real world and these motor mouth morons would completely do my head in