Why do you do it?

Why is it we get people on here asking what such and such company is like…

“cos I heard they had a job going”

“cos they’re about to sack someone so I’m gonna try and get in”

Bla bla bla.

We’ve seen these posts all too often. I, personally, would keep my mouth well and truely shut if I heard somewhere was looking for a driver. Don’t you realise potentially 100 other drivers on here could see it and get straight on the phone to the company? Shooting yourself in the foot big time if you post a message like that.

is it just me?

No it’s not just you Steve, your right I have always thought the same.

Agreed :laughing: But how much of it is actually genuine and how much is complete wibble? “My mate told me” is a powerful thing.

I’m in the looking-for-a-job camp myself at the moment, and I won’t be blabbing about company names until i’m putting my tacho in. Though if I saw a driver struggling in a particular geographical area I would certainly send a PM if I could to try and help out with some leads, as others on here have done for me (thank you, you know who you are).

It’s a great place to get information about a general industry or line of work though.

Though what people say and what people actually mean and do are such very different things, particularly i’ve found in transport.

Even at my relative inexperienced stage, the amount of rubbish i’ve heard people say whilst complaining about their current jobs, “been talking to a guy, £15/hr day shift, get my own van, and won’t put anything earned above 20k through the books”. I’m sure people convince themselves such things exist to try and ease the pain or something.

They are all still there.

I have often wondered that myself. My game always was, to get down there , introduce myself, tell them what I had to offer. Find out what the score was from their end. If I got the start, I started , and got stuck in. I only worked for 3 companies in 30 years. I was head-hunted by No2 and No3. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I,m waiting for the day when someone asks " Could someone tell me what Eddie Stobart are like to work for". ( I might have missed that one :grimacing: ). The “We hate Eddie” mob on here would have a field day. :laughing: :laughing:

i suppose people who are a little nervous about leaving there present company for another could get help with the info, this is a forum after all :unamused:

well, I guess, it’s the same in every country… …rumours, rumours… …I would say the best thing to find about certain company is to talk with someone who actually works for them - not to the ex-drivers, they usually have at least some bit of bad words about company…

but yet again, each and every company has their goods and bads (at least most of them), I’d reckon it’s just what you are willing to accept from company and yet again, everyone of us is a bit different and appreciates different things…

of course, you could always rule out those companies that everyone is talkin ■■■■■ about but if you get so-so comments wouldn’t it be at least somewhat fair to try and give 'em a chance… …as someone said here, he gives a new job/company 3months time to see what the job and company are like…

I reckon this forum is fairly good place to get some information but the botton line, you should find out yourself which company suits for yourself with it’s goods and bads… …at least that’s my personal opinion…