Why do ownerdrivers tell guys dont do it

ive been in this game along time now and ive met guys that were running motors in the 70,s n 80,s and they were moaning about rates then rates its just fuel was cheaper,ive read posts on herefrom wannabe new start ups and the negativity is unreal if its that bad why are there so many ownerdrivers are you all just jealous that if a wannabe starts he,ll do better than you as far as i know its not a closed shop being an owner driver,if every wannabe owner driver came on here asking for advice theyd never bother,if i were buying my own motor id never come here for advice. :unamused:

Well, I try to give honest and impartial advice, and my eternal advice is that although I earn a reasonable living running my own truck, if you have a decent secure employed job working for somebody who treats you with respect, then you’d be better off sticking to that. I spoke to a Dairy Crest driver a few months ago, he was on £40,000 a year, and hands up, I don’t earn anything like that much.

Having said that, there isn’t a Dairy Crest depot just down the road from me so that was irrelevant to my circumstances…

If you did want to put a truck on the road then you could ask here for advice, I’ve received some excellent advice and help here myself although as with any forum it’s up to the end user to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Perhaps like me they started in the dark ages when drivers were allowed to do what they liked, or broke the rules and got away with it.
Today its not an industry run but truckers but by suits with degrees and its all about “just in time” mentality and a 24 hr 7day society that demands trucks work huge hours to make profit…and an owner driver cannot do it alone.
Companies with 50 plus trucks have everything they need including drivers and spare trucks on call at short notice…an OD doesn’t.
Its the age we live in…i was given some Very very sound advice 15 years ago.
It was
GET BIG, GET NICHE or GET OUT.
Best advice ever.

The world has changed , and for the OD who is now a dinosaur its ending.

One reason is that some of us realise just how lucky we have been ,right place right time,or didnt need to work every day at first as we could drop on an other income,and when I speak to drivers who want to do it for them selves I hear them say what vehicle they want or the hours they want to work or even who they want to haul for and I know instantly they won’t last and this is called experience ,I always listen to the advice of others but end up reading between the lines.

Just honest advice mate, I don’t give a toss if some muppet pitches up at Maritime or Wincanton’s gate by the dock looking to pull their containers for a squirt of ■■■■.

But, if you ask me if I should have left my previous job 10 years ago as a company director on £38k a year doing a 40 hour week & become an owner driver/small haulier, even though some years I made around £140k (some years I’ve made F all) I would genuinely say,

no.

Tbh ive got. Few nice niche customers and do ok (run 5)
But if had to general subbying or the likes of maritime would sell the lot tomorrow

As daft as it sounds rather than general subbying more money profit wise in vans
Know a few sound blokes down sized and earning a ■■■■ lot more than your Average class one driver and have seen ones books on companies house so not bull either

Best bit tho is the amount of class one who look down on them as only a little van etc as have big truck sindrome
Was on train other week with mate of mine guy talking to me in q then realised my mAte had van in fron wouldnt talk to him etc
He was just chaneeling hopping the lad in van been further and more miles in reverse in europe and has ran several trucks and is no fool lol

When i started few years back was told by local od and small hauliers dont do it your a fool theres no money any more
My response so why you still doing it
Was best thing i ever did but did have own direct work from start
But could easily all fail
Tomorrow

Alot on here are wanna bees but havnt got a real clue not all some good blokes with alot of experience bit still quite few fools and windups

Alot prob done it didnt have clue thought would make millions for likes of maritime etc
And failed and lost alot of money etc

Do ot right and you will make more than an average week driving
But there not big money in artics anymore for anyone unless noche markets etc
General haulage rates are crap now i think anyway

I know a few started out worked hard were doung ok then the new shiny scania’s arrive
They start to get lazy as they the boss want more home time etc days off here and there next thing no money in bank to pay bills and a very cheap truck for sale

You couldn’t have said it better.

I think the OP is being a bit disingenuous to the advice given on here, the question has been asked on Trucknet UK since at least 2004 and I have answered many questions about it, the answers are all available in the search engine, but many of the questions leave a lot to be desired. Profit is not a dirty word, and if a company make a profit out of running owner drivers that is a good business model, utilise the spare labour when times are busy and watch them bobtail out of the gate in slack periods.

There are fewer niche markets that are open to a one man band, and the cost of fuel is horrid. If someone comes on here with a reasonable business plan and doesn’t start off with; “I have just ordered a new Scania and am after some work for it, what do you suggest?” then they will get some helpful advice. If you don’t believe me, do a search for on these forums.