Why do LF's have such pissweak engine brakes?

Like, you press the button (or move the stalk), it barely makes any noise and sod all happens - even with the revs in the blue band. Turn on the engine brake in a CF and you’ll stop dead. Pain in the backside when you have a full load round Cornwall.

My FH’s engine brake anit that good at 44ton. I got quite a few overspeeds when I did Truro this week.

They vary truck to truck I find you can have one cf with a really good one and one with a really weak crud one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a DAF XF currently and that varies each time you use it. With 44 ton you got no chance of getting much out of it, but doing what the office requests…then melting the brakes. :slight_smile:

I think that generally covers it! :sunglasses:

Is’nt a LF a van?
Do vans need an engine brake?

Some are certainly better than others but to be fair the exhaust brake doesn’t need to be seriously powerful.

Just remember that it is only retarding the compression in the engine to make resistance to the road. In other words it’s only braking on the drive axle. Get it wrong in snow or ice and it’s the very similar to pulling on a car handbrake while towing a trailer.

I don’t like the XF’s single stage exhaust brake, I much prefer my Actros’s 3-stage one.

I’m always a bit cautious with it in the wet on level 3, I’ve noticed the TC kick in and turn it off as I went over a wide metal bridge expansion plate once. Ever since, I step in and knock it off myself for that kind of thing, and corners particularly.

We have 7 CF 18t at ours and the engine brakes range from non existent to okay, the usual one I drive the the engine brake used to be okay till they changed the gear box now it doesn’t work so I am loving the smell of cooked brakes :frowning:

commonrail:
Is’nt a LF a van?
Do vans need an engine brake?

Well when you’re moving 10 tons of paper in a van, you don’t want to rely on the service brake.

Probably got something to do with them only having a lawnmower engine. :laughing: There is no substitute for cubic inches.