"Why" Continue being a Trucker

Why do you continue to be a trucker :question:
Do you look at vacancies every week and ponder other jobs :question:
What makes you get up in the morning, to put up with more congestion, stress, lack of respect, problems,

Is it just the money or do you love being a “Trucker”

Ever fancy a 9 to 5 and what would make you leave the job you love :question:
Or are you just stuck in a rut :question:

Lots of Questions, but should be interesting reading as to why we do it.

I thought those same things, about 10 years ago. so i packed up driving and went to work at the now defunct massey ferguson. I hated every minute of it, it was winter, 7.30 start, drove to work in the dark, left at 4.30pm, it was dark. No windows in the building, couldn’t see daylight and i felt like a vampire. Didn’t like being told, when i could and couldn’t do things, petty managers, squabbling, back stabbing between blokes on the shop floor. needless to say i didn’t last long and went straight back to my old job. never felt the need to leave since!

Reason i stay driving, i tried working for a living but it didnt suit me :laughing: and driving is the next best thing to being self employed

simon

Same here, I have run my own business, both in Transport and Leisure. I left driving to work as parts manager at a car retailer. there were more arguments and petty squabbling in that job than any other.

I had to make a profit for the company accountant, sell accesories to the sales department at a loss because they had done a bad deal Have endless rows with the mechanics because I didnt have a particular special bolt in stock because we had only ever used one in 13 years.

I had whinging customers ringing up to get prices and part numbers and then tell me that they could get them for half price at Fred Bloggs. As a franchised dealer all my spares had to bought from the dealer network, at their prices, they even dictate the profit margin you are allowed to make!

Although Parts Departments are normally only open 5 days and saturday morning, it is still a 7 day week, as you have to keep all the records up to date for warranty claims and losses.

Give me driving anyday :stuck_out_tongue:

“You should have been here at 8am driver”

Why? What happened? :smiley:

bazman:
Why do you continue to be a trucker :question: .

I always wanted to do it since i was a kid, how many people in this country can honestly say they are doing the job they wanted as a child?.

bazman:
Do you look at vacancies every week and ponder other jobs :question: .

At least once a week because i feel i could do a lot better for myself than being a lorry driver, Not to say that driving a lorry is not a good job but having something else “up my sleeve” for a rainy day would be nice.

bazman:
What makes you get up in the morning, to put up with more congestion, stress, lack of respect, problems, .

I work nights it always makes me smile when i head down to London on the A1 about 4PM from Grantham and see all the tailbacks on the way up on a Friday afternoon, knowing that when i head back in 4 hours the roads will be clear.

One day i love it next day i hate it the main reason for wanting to do soemthing 9-5 for me is to be at home with my kids more often.

jammymutt:
I always wanted to do it since i was a kid, how many people in this country can honestly say they are doing the job they wanted as a child?.

Me :smiley:

And i even wanted to drive for salesens because i had a toy truck of theres when i was a young un :blush: :blush: :blush:

I did a week and thought [zb] that you have to work here

simon

I took ten years off driving only returning 2 1/2 years ago.
I hated my last job and was bored out of my mind.
I tried looking for a better paid job but even managers and graduates positions were only paying 15 - 20 grand a year in my area so I started with an agency part time to see if I wanted to come back to driving, find out what the conditions were like and pay etc.
Took me 18 month to find a job that paid enough and I got to say I love it, the best decision I ever made.
My own boss with no hassle.
Traffic? just relax.
We expected you here yesterday driver? Me too and smile :laughing:
You have to wait a bit driver – nice time to read a book.
Problems?? I dont let anything become a problem , a shrug of the shoulders and a smile sorts them out.

BUT them bloody ■■■■■■■ roadworks north of Newark on Fridays :imp: :imp: :wink: :laughing:

I could give you a long list. The main thing is, it allows me to be me. I never did get that in an office. I can’t really see myself doing anything else either. That’s why I continue.

:smiley: Love it. Irrespective of pay.

bazman:
What makes you get up in the morning, to put up with more congestion, stress, lack of respect, problems,

:smiley: I can think of more harrowing problems in life.

Just shows reading the replies :arrow_right:
Most of us are Truckers because we love the job :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
We all have a rant, whinge and moan now and again :cry: but would not do anything else.
Luckily due to the internet and forums like this one, the comradeship between truckers is starting to show through.
It has always been there “I think”
As more and more join in with debates, discussions and general chat on these forums, so the community of truckers will grow and the days of sitting in a transport cafe “alone” will go.
Might even make some people in power sweat a little to think that we are starting to unite as friends and colleagues.

I have never donre anything else, always wanted to drive i do what i want when i want as long as i do the job i get left alone. If anything happens in the future and i lost my licence i would be devestated if not worse, could not imagine what else i would do, and i understand why malc has done what he has. Becides it really annoys Mrs dafman i love my job :laughing: :laughing:

I started driving a ■■■■■■ van 3 days after I got my licence. Got my class 1 PCV at 18, did the local routes for 3 yrs and as soon as I hit 21 I went off to do more distance work. First ventured over the water after about 12 months and continued doing that for years. When I got married though I wanted to be home more so took my class 2 and have been doing it ever since.

You know the old saying " Diesel in the veins" :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

As a recent convert I have to say this is a refreshing industry to be in…

I spent 30 odd years in electronics/computers and while I mostly enjoyed working in the field, the last 10 years I’ve seen a dramatic change and would never return.

This is great, very few portentous prats to deal with, I find most everyone understand and are prepared to make allowance, speak their mind and no-one takes any notice… apart from that bod who got pulled through his little windows the other week, not by me I might add.

Your generally left alone to get on with thing, with in my case little hassle. Other drivers I find a scream, such a cross section of characters from all walks of life… One of my weakness is I spend too much time in conversation.

Basically, I find no-one gives a toss, and that’s how it should be. Besides, where else would you get paid for sleeping in your bunk
:wink:

i love the job but apparently im cab happy. only been doing it for 2 and a half years and its mint. did 18 years as a welder stuck in a factory, today ive been up to scotland, set off at 4 this morning, 68’s great at that time, 2 drops, air con on cos its melting,listening to talk sport, getting paid for it as well, beats sweating my plebs off in a factory looking at a blue light all day with a bucket on me heed!!! love the cameraderie and all that, doing summat ive wanted to do for ages. :smiley:

Spent 18 years in IT /electronics, reduced to board swopping, wearing a tie and sucking up to an increasing number of upstarts who could barely string a sentence together… ■■■■ that!

Money aint great but my cab is my castle…

From a young age all I wanted to do was drive arctics
but I have only got class 2 at the moment but have class 1
booked in just over 1 weeks time. I was in a job that I did
not see daylight and it was not good for my health and the
money was poor for 50 odd hours a week. So I resigned
and passed my class 2 first time and been doing a few
agency jobs which I enjoy and am not interested in doing
anything else just yet.