why a logbook?

I drive about 1200-1500 miles perweek, the shortest return run i do is 80 miles the longest 400. I now only do collections of class 3 not for human consumption stuff from various abbottoirs, which i bring back to base where it is minced into dogfood. i met a driver the other day who said as i only doing class 3 i can run on a logbook only…if this is correct, what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing so.
thanks…

There is a derogation for those carrying animal waste/carcasses not for human consumption. This means you would not be in scope of EU Rules and can run to GB Domestic rules and use a log book.

Advantages? I suppose not having to take any breaks, being able to drive 10 hours a day every day and no minimum rest periods or weekly rest could be deemed advantages. Not having to use tachographs and just writing down basic times might also be an advantage.

Personally - I would operate fully to EU Rules, use my tachograph, take my breaks and daily/weekly rest periods. You are after all driving a large dangerous vehicle. Where is the hardship to stick to Tacho rules? At least if anything went seriously wrong you can demonstrate you had taken breaks and rest the same as any other LGV driver.

Thanks for clearing that one up shep… :wink: