Why 2 years experience is needed

ok, i asked a agancy today, why was it 2 years experience is needed to work for them / there clients. As lots of jobs, be it direct or via agency say min of 2 years experience.

I was told its due to the insurance - Drivers Negligence Insurance , this stops them taking new drivers.

Anyone heard of this,

Nope, nor have any of the agencies I deal with.

I always insist on experience when recruiting, but don’t specify a certain amount of time as 2 years occasional experience on an agency might not be as attractive a 6 months experience as a full time employed driver.

Our HR also baulk at the idea of specifying a minimum amount of experience such as this as they believe that it could fall foul of the age equality legislation.

tut have i been told rubbish lol

Robin_A:
tut have i been told rubbish lol

insurance excess can increase for less experienced drivers

When I did a 6mth stint in the office at an Agency Our insurance had an excess prem higher if the driver had less than 2yrs experiance

thought it was off as when we renewed the policy i asked if it was experiance or just held the licence, the guy on the other end said whats the differance,
What a wonker

When I started I was told this aswell,so believe that the insurance premium is higher for newbie drivers.

i work in garage at minute for haulier in my area passed my c+e about july this year and they have put me on there insurance and im only 21 they said its just more on the excess but a suppose it depend on different insurance groups.

While the insurance may be a little higher for younger drivers, due to the new laws banning ageism in the workplace, this can not be used as a bar against specifying older drivers, except in certain conditions.

If a company advertises for drivers but specifies that they must be over 25 years old for insurance purposes they could well be breaking the law. Apparently it depends on the size of the company, and the amount of the extra premium to determine whether it would be a reasonable adjustment. So if a certain company with a green logo was to use this tack to save a few thousand quid I think they would find that the courts would deem it as being ‘reasonable’ adjustment and uphold the complaint.

If it was a small company with a few trucks, and the few thousand actually doubled their premium then they could argue a case of it being an unreasonable adjustment.

I have always speculated that many companies have used this insurance caveat in the past as a way of not taking on younger, hence less experienced drivers.

one of the agencies i applied to said you don’t need 2 years experience you just need to have held the licence for 2 years…! I am sure this will make us all better drivers!!