Who's changed their mind

I was wondering who might have changed their mind, Or got different views about the Dcpc.
I know most were dead against it, But about 50% of drivers have done the 35 hours anyway.
I still have no intention of doing it, But i’m sure some of you that had similar views may have thought about it and think it’s a great idea now.

Good question. Seeing how the standard of drivers has changed in recent times (a career driver vs a driver that does it cos its an easy job)

It can only be a good thing. Surprising when you sit in a room of colleagues, just how many weren’t up to speed as much as you gave them credit for

I have done two modules and to be honest I think it’s a complete waste of time and an insult to long serving drivers,maybe someone doing their test and starting off could learn something from it but apart from that I see it as a complete waste of time and money :imp:
I don’t know about the UK but here in Ireland it seems anybody that can read can be a dcpc instructor,the last one I was on was about driving technique etc,the instructor asked me to explain ‘brake blending’,I did as he asked and he told me my explanation was wrong!
I said “oh really? well you explain it to us then!” he franticly started reading the book and when he finished he apoplogised and told me I was right and that he was a gym instructor and was doing the guy running the course a favour by taking the class and had no clue whatsoever about trucks or transport!!!
To say we found it hard to justify paying him 60 euro each at the end of it is an understatement :open_mouth:

Transc:
he was a gym instructor and was doing the guy running the course a favour by taking the class and had no clue whatsoever about trucks or transport!!!
:open_mouth:

And I’m sure your local DCPC governing body would be keen to hear that.

Ken.

Sorry to say I done it all, but as I to did notice how many divers on the course did not no much about the regulations some sill thought a break could be 17 minutes and 28 minutes.

My view on the DCPC is its needed but I think it could be a lot better, for one thing I would do is make it a test like the theory test and do it ever 2 years have a medical as well and a more stringent eye test. And every 5 years you have to have a driving retest and of coures paid for buy your employer.

New drivers coming into the industry would have two do at least 40 hours on road experience before a test.

I’ve always thought it would have been fair enough as an added hurdle to getting your licence in the first place but making driver’s do it who already have their licence is just more red tape BS some jumped up douche bag in Brussels thought up to continue justifying their wage.

Quinny:

Transc:
he was a gym instructor and was doing the guy running the course a favour by taking the class and had no clue whatsoever about trucks or transport!!!

Ken.

Well does anyone know what qualifications you need (if any) to be a dcpc instructor ? :open_mouth:

One would have thought that at least sit the course would have been on the list, not teaching some nubile young females how to get sweaty in a gym.

Hang on… :grimacing:

Ken.

Transc:

Quinny:

Transc:

Ken.

Well does anyone know what qualifications you need (if any) to be a dcpc instructor ? :open_mouth:

Was the person that did the course name on the paper work you did. Cos there have to be known to jaupt

i think at the moment it is a waste of time, training is needed but from the dcpc courses i have done and from speaking with other drivers and from on here, there seems to be a massive difference in the standard of the delivered course, at times the info as been conflicting, if there was a proper standard set and properly monitored and started with new drivers to the industry it can only be a good thing, but in it is present status it seems rushed, not thought through and some of the training companies seem to be seeing it as easy money, where else can you do the same module of a course 5 times and get the same result/qualification as someone doing 5 separate modules,

IMHO the courses should be stopped today, then maybe replaced at a later date by a better structured course… if we really have to!!

Im still not interested but Maritime put all employees through for free, so Im 21 hrs in up to now

limeyphil:
I was wondering who might have changed their mind, Or got different views about the Dcpc.
I know most were dead against it, But about 50% of drivers have done the 35 hours anyway.
I still have no intention of doing it, But i’m sure some of you that had similar views may have thought about it and think it’s a great idea now.

I have done it , all done and dusted , at no cost to me and got paid to do it :wink:

Didnt learn anything of interest, seven hours sat having a laugh and a joke with people I aint seen for a while .

Its coming, so do it or pay the fine , companies are not going to want to employ drivers without it and draw attention to themselves .

If I had to pay for it, I would pay as its not alot really , yes probley a waste of time and money but pay a few quid a year to enable me to earn a decent wage every week isnt really a problem. HTH. :wink:

Good question. I always thought it was a good idea, I passed my test seven years ago and because I,d had to learn all the rules and regs it was obvious a lot of the older drivers hadn’t ( often through no fault of their own) kept up to date. So I think some thing like this was needed but it is poorly done. It needs people who know what they are talking about, It shouldn’t be done all sat in a “classroom” it should be done hands on. Most drivers still don’t know what to do with a digital tacho when things go pear shaped. Roping and sheeting I know very little about ( I have a lot of common sense, but that doesn’t mean I’m doing it right) even after the DPC.
In the drivers I did mine with the experience varied from about three years to thirty, but the attitude was that we had all " been there done that" and to be fair nobody wanted to dispel that attitude.

Lets hope a lot of older drivers don’t change their minds and get out of the game (though i expect 6 weeks on security working all hours God sends on minimum wage will be a reality check), the shortage of drivers is coming any way and this can only hasten it.

Some companys will employ more flip flops, good the more the merrier, resulting insurance costs should balance that one out and the added workshop costs good for the economy, hopefully we’ll return to a bit of balance in a few years.

There’s some companies who’ve taken the P, i hope drivers remember this when things improve and black 'em.

MR VAIN:
Good question. Seeing how the standard of drivers has changed in recent times (a career driver vs a driver that does it cos its an easy job)

It can only be a good thing. Surprising when you sit in a room of colleagues, just how many weren’t up to speed as much as you gave them credit for

Good post.
Gotta say, when I started mine I thought I knew it all, but I have learnt. What did amaze me was how little some drivers did actually know, coming into the classroom, Billy Big Balls - knows very little :unamused:

Oh, and I think I have upped my game because of the DCPC imho

Drivers CPC can be earnt in other ways than the proscribed training courses most people talk about.

For example, I earned two years worth of training when I did my Class 2. Theoretically I could have used the following courses the same way (HIAB/ADR/Class1) but didn’t.

Prior to that the company I was with had a variety of training courses throughout the year that us drivers were sent on but could be classed as ‘training’ for the CPC.

So yeah, I learnt how to deal with abusive, disabled, impaired and agressive passengers. Some of the courses were repeated just to get that message across but it wasn’t pushed as CPC in any way at all.

Yet I now have dCPC up to 2019 on the blue card. Cop out I know :smiley:

I havent done it but then I’m not living in the UK now. I do sometimes do a bit of driving in the UK now and then but once I need a dcpc that will probably come to an end unless I actually move back. I’m 100% dead against it, I think its nothing more than EU sponsored extortion by training rackets to sell you back your own credentials. Its really nothing more than throwing people from dry land in to a body of water every five years and then charging them a certain amount of money for rescue, otherwise leaving them to drown. Their rescue is only of value because you’ve been thrown in to the water in the first place just as a dcpc cert is only of value because we’ve been forced to need it. The Sicillian mafia couldn’t have thought up a better extortion practice!! I personally dont see the difference between the mandatory implementation of the dcpc and a bunch of men in leather jackets turning up every so often with a gun and a strong sense of persuasion and encouraging me to part with money on a regular basis just for the privillege of carrying on as I were.

Its a good thing for newbies but its boring as ■■■■ if you have a lot of miles under your belt, but as long as i dont need to pay for it i dont give a hee haw!

waste of time just a money earning scam for someone