Whoosh! & he was gone!

So whats happened to speed limiters on trucks then?? On the usual trunk last night, M25 between 19 - 16 around 11.30pm hardly anything on the road, when i saw in the mirror a light show approaching quite fast, within a matter of seconds, (yes seconds!!) a De M*m 56 reg Scania had passed me and was off into the darkness :open_mouth: must have been knocking 70mph+ :unamused: I was in a Daf 95 430 on the limit at 56, and he flew past me, not the usual 2 -5 min overtake, this guy was almost on take off speed. This is not the first time i have had UK reg trucks flying past at night, just want to know how they get away with it, when there are so many checks on tacho’s and trucks these days :unamused:

if a man made the machine…he can fix it to his own purposes…
remember …where theres a will…theres a way…ask an irishman and he will tell you how to do it…

I don’t think Governor was asking HOW to do it… just how they get away with it.

Alex

He went past u knocking on 70mph, yeah so wots your point, are we going to post the name of companies everytime one of them overtakes us on the motorway now? Who gives a rats ■■■

Coaches go 62mph, but when they pass you they pass you as if you are standing still.

Scarab:

Alex

again see the irish lads :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:wink: :sunglasses:

Your right Scarab, How do uk reg trucks get away with it so frequently is what i want to know, I normally drive a 56 reg Axor, with digi tacho, every 2 months we get a report on our hours etc, it was pointed out to me that every night at around the same time my truck speed increased to over 100kph for a period of two minutes, reason was i let it run down hill on M25 from M11 to A10 jct, normally do this on most hills, as do most others out there, but that is just a temporary increase in speed, what i see most nights on my trunk is a blatent abuse of the speed limit by uk reg trucks, and mostly newish reg trucks at that, also on the Axor the digi flashes up “overspeed” if i 'm over 90kph for a minute or two, so surely if its picked up on my checks, why isn’t it picked up on the regular speeders out there :unamused:

He went past u knocking on 70mph, yeah so wots your point, are we going to post the name of companies everytime one of them overtakes us on the motorway now? Who gives a rats ■■■

You ever tried stopping a fully loaded artic at that speed??, even at night there are many problems on the m/ways, roadworks closing off two lanes most nights, Two weeks ago i had a roadworker running across the m/way collecting signs, drop the sign in the middle lane, i was on the limiter but had to take avoiding action to avoid this problem, going faster could have made it much worse!

People managed fine years ago without speed limiters, so whys its suddenly so dangerous to do 70mph in the middle of the night.

In years to come people when most of the old 7.5tonners are off the road and they are all limited to 56mph, someone will see a 7.5tonner doing 70mph and complain that the driver is dangerous even though up until recently you could drive a 7.5 tonner legally at 70mph.

Ok its the law speed limiters, but doesent mean the law is right.

Ok its the law speed limiters, but doesent mean the law is right.

Agree, but as you point out its the law, or do we take the point that laws are meant to be broken??

Kenny1975:
‘…People managed fine years ago without speed limiters, so whys its suddenly so dangerous to do 70mph in the middle of the night…’

It isn’t ‘…suddenly so dangerous…’ but more a case of increased knowledge in the global context and our understanding of hazards and risks requiring better & safer management of our society. Maybe we’ve taken our blindfolds off …unless the concensus is that we’d all like to live beyond Bladerunner in the abyss? (Besides, as EU legislation, why not badger ones Euro MP once he’s put his champagne flute down?)

Whilst disliking the Euro-line, the rationale factors many areas that impact on us daily …not least those to do with stopping distances in vehicles being shorter now than a generation ago because the vehicles are more efficient at stopping whilst the herbert on the wheel has remained the same old model.

Add to that social mobility having risen, as (supposedly) has the western ‘standard of living’ - whatever that is. This demands more stuff/people to be shifted in the emergent 24/7/365 society. Whilst we’re busier, the roads still need mending, so why shouldn’t we respect the dudes that fix them at night (am I alone in pitying those dudes when they get disrespected by the clapped-out shed wazzing past them feet away doing 90, etc?)

The roads - especially out-of-hours - have changed significantly in the last decade & we in the west have essentially bequeathed the planet a global no-go zone, so let’s not rush to congratulate ourselves on our superiority. Unless one has an internal combustion engine to fire the testosterone these days then one is impotent, it seems.

The subject is vast and I’ve not started on decreased human melanomin production at night, vehicle fuel efficiency & other negative but pertinent impacts.

Meanwhile, for those that whine ‘why can’t I blah-blah’ does little more than perpetuate the popularly acknowledeged alienation of where society feels it is now …and instead of doing a 400-500km shift, we’d be tasked with a 600-700 km shift with eyes stuck on the windscreen with more stress. So where’s the gain? If you wanna go fast then drive a taxi…creed, etc permitting.

So why the rush into rushing? We’ve a cracking road network, so enjoy life with a grateful conscience and not throttle the nuts off it.

We used to have an ERF that sat at 65 odd and only came up as early fifties on the tacho --------- Good times :laughing: :unamused:

Too Fat To Fly:
We used to have an ERF that sat at 65 odd and only came up as early fifties on the tacho --------- Good times :laughing: :unamused:

not so good with speed cameras :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Everyone comes past me cos i only do 52 mph I need to save money on fuel

WHY RUSH TO SIT IN Q LONGER!!! :smiley: :smiley:

Happy Keith:

Kenny1975:
‘…People managed fine years ago without speed limiters, so whys its suddenly so dangerous to do 70mph in the middle of the night…’

It isn’t ‘…suddenly so dangerous…’ but more a case of increased knowledge in the global context and our understanding of hazards and risks requiring better & safer management of our society. Maybe we’ve taken our blindfolds off …unless the concensus is that we’d all like to live beyond Bladerunner in the abyss? (Besides, as EU legislation, why not badger ones Euro MP once he’s put his champagne flute down?)

Whilst disliking the Euro-line, the rationale factors many areas that impact on us daily …not least those to do with stopping distances in vehicles being shorter now than a generation ago because the vehicles are more efficient at stopping whilst the herbert on the wheel has remained the same old model.

Add to that social mobility having risen, as (supposedly) has the western ‘standard of living’ - whatever that is. This demands more stuff/people to be shifted in the emergent 24/7/365 society. Whilst we’re busier, the roads still need mending, so why shouldn’t we respect the dudes that fix them at night (am I alone in pitying those dudes when they get disrespected by the clapped-out shed wazzing past them feet away doing 90, etc?)

The roads - especially out-of-hours - have changed significantly in the last decade & we in the west have essentially bequeathed the planet a global no-go zone, so let’s not rush to congratulate ourselves on our superiority. Unless one has an internal combustion engine to fire the testosterone these days then one is impotent, it seems.

The subject is vast and I’ve not started on decreased human melanomin production at night, vehicle fuel efficiency & other negative but pertinent impacts.

Meanwhile, for those that whine ‘why can’t I blah-blah’ does little more than perpetuate the popularly acknowledeged alienation of where society feels it is now …and instead of doing a 400-500km shift, we’d be tasked with a 600-700 km shift with eyes stuck on the windscreen with more stress. So where’s the gain? If you wanna go fast then drive a taxi…creed, etc permitting.

So why the rush into rushing? We’ve a cracking road network, so enjoy life with a grateful conscience and not throttle the nuts off it.

:open_mouth: Who do you reckon your target audience is here Keith ? :smiley:
Thats the longest and most convoluted way of saying if we go faster we’d be asked to do more, and it still doesn’t answer his question :wink:

Governor!:

You ever tried stopping a fully loaded artic at that speed??, even at night there are many problems on the m/ways, roadworks closing off two lanes most nights, Two weeks ago i had a roadworker running across the m/way collecting signs, drop the sign in the middle lane, i was on the limiter but had to take avoiding action to avoid this problem, going faster could have made it much worse!

Yes I have and it’s not that hard, have you? With regards to other posts going faster does not necessarly mean more work, could mean less, for instance if it means you make the Liverpool boat and don’t have to race to Holyhead.

Besides, how many of you old boys used to race around all the time before speed limiters in truck with vastly inferior brakes compared to today.

my scania i drive now does 62mph, my previous wagon a 03plate globetrotter done 65mph, i wud rather b sat faster than slower, makes my day go by well quicker

switchlogic:
Besides, how many of you old boys used to race around all the time before speed limiters in truck with vastly inferior brakes compared to today.

Me, for one.
BUT there was much less need to use the brakes back then.

Well when ive done runs like Glasgow - Inverness for most companies they assume and pay you for it for sticking to the speed limit.

Even though can get up that road fast and instead of having a 45min break, can go have something to eat and a sleep for an hour earn the same money.

I dont see the big companies start planing their runs and their trunks with the intention that the driver is going to have to sit at 75mph all the way down the road if there was no limiters.

Would mean they could plan routes for drivers being able to do 60mph which difference time wise wouldnt be great enough to make huge differences to runs time wise.

As for the point about roadworks at night, yeah there is roadworks at night, usually sign posted miles ahead, usually flashing beacons everywhere which blind your retina.

Plus usually a reduced speed limit of 50mph, so how would that effect having no speed limiters ?

Infact if anything sitting zoning out at 55mph prob more like to drive straight into some road works than you would be if you were going faster and more alert.

its very easy to zone out doing 55mph in the middle of the night, its a lot harder to zone out going faster when you have to have your witts about you.

As for the roadworkers i agree they are suicidal, i nearly killed one on the M61 one day when he stoped on the hard shoulder jumped out his van onto a live lane, i was in lane one being overtaken no where to go and no chance of stoping.

55mph or 65mph if one of these nutters runs in front of you as they like to do, you aint gonna stop in time, the front of your vehicle is gonna look like a pizza.