Whoops

I am to blame pulled out to early to overtake another wagon in the first lane took a bit longer than it should have. But Mr inpatient could not Waite it brought a smile to my face when the blue lights went on.what a shame not.

damoq:
How do they get away with running at over 60mph on the motorway? I thought speed limiters are legally set to stop a truck accelerating beyond 56mph. I kind of guess that the speedometer on the truck must be showing 56 and the speed limiter must be fooled into thinking the truck is doing 56. But everyone knows their true speed is about 62. So how come the DVSA don’t do anything about this illegal and unfair limiter fiddling? They too must know what’s going on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Software is out there that limits the tacho to record a max of 90 kph while the trucks limiter is set much higher. DVSA only have resources to check digital tachos that have a plug in outside the tacho which will measure a voltage drop at the tacho head. The new highly encrypted software available which reprogrammes the tacho itself isnt detectable with any equipment DVSA or any other authority outside the UK currently have…

AndrewG:

damoq:
How do they get away with running at over 60mph on the motorway? I thought speed limiters are legally set to stop a truck accelerating beyond 56mph. I kind of guess that the speedometer on the truck must be showing 56 and the speed limiter must be fooled into thinking the truck is doing 56. But everyone knows their true speed is about 62. So how come the DVSA don’t do anything about this illegal and unfair limiter fiddling? They too must know what’s going on!

Software is out there that limits the tacho to record a max of 90 kph while the trucks limiter is set much higher. DVSA only have resources to check digital tachos that have a plug in outside the tacho which will measure a voltage drop at the tacho head. The new highly encrypted software available which reprogrammes the tacho itself isnt detectable with any equipment DVSA or any other authority outside the UK currently have…

Doesn’t matter how clever the software is if you’re doing 6x mph and a cop car or DVSA catches you up, clocks your speed then pulls you to find that your tacho is claiming you were doing 56 does it? In fact you are in an even bigger world of ■■■■ because you’ve tampered with the tacho as well as speeding. Is it worth taking that risk these days?

nomiS36:

AndrewG:

damoq:

Doesn’t matter how clever the software is if you’re doing 6x mph and a cop car or DVSA catches you up, clocks your speed then pulls you to find that your tacho is claiming you were doing 56 does it? In fact you are in an even bigger world of [zb] because you’ve tampered with the tacho as well as speeding. Is it worth taking that risk these days?

Nothing much they can do on the motorway unless there’s evidence of tampering. Getting a tacho calibration done with tyres on the min legal depth on the drive axle then swapping back to new tyres will see you fly past 90% of other wagons.

Own Account Driver:

nomiS36:

AndrewG:

damoq:

Doesn’t matter how clever the software is if you’re doing 6x mph and a cop car or DVSA catches you up, clocks your speed then pulls you to find that your tacho is claiming you were doing 56 does it? In fact you are in an even bigger world of [zb] because you’ve tampered with the tacho as well as speeding. Is it worth taking that risk these days?

Nothing much they can do on the motorway unless there’s evidence of tampering. Getting a tacho calibration done with tyres on the min legal depth on the drive axle then swapping back to new tyres will see you fly past 90% of other wagons.

That’s my point, when a cop is sat behind a wagon doing over 60 they’re going to want to know how it’s speeding so will more than likely pull it over and then DVSA will probably get involved and find the fiddle. Not rocket science when the trucks pulled for doing over 60 but the tacho card is showing only 55 that there is something going on.

Then its about time all vehicles were limited to 60, which is the legal limit on a motorway ( dont know how the police can nick him at 62 ) probably because of the 56 mph rule ) in which case, we will all get a knock on the door when Overspeeding on a hill… :unamused: . Speed limits were first introduced due to the oil crisis in the 80`s, and have never been rescinded…they should, but they believe that raising the speed limits will cause more carnage on the roads. Another fine point, If a car can be stopped for driving too slow, then why cant a HGV ( like tesco etc ) be pulled for running at 50, another danger i find when running at max ( 56 ) although i believe the spanish have a different speed ( so a driver told me at an msa ) someone will be along soon to correct me.

damoq:

Some trucks have speed limiters which don’t work when the truck’s going down hill, especially if laden – that may have been the case here.

robroy:
Used to do it in the 80s, not now though even if I could (set at 53) and especially not for the wage I am on.

Yeh it’s wrong, it’s against the law, etc etc, and if the driver is on crap wages as alleged,.and he risks his licence for this…he’s a grade A chump …end of, but what do I know, I don’t even know him or his co.
However what I DO know is this is the job for the Police, well to …police, and for DVSA to punish them.
Nothing to do with you me, anyone else, and especially not a Road Vigilante fanny type, with a camera . :smiling_imp:

It’s not a ‘road vigilante’ though, unless he’s not only invested in a camera, but also in a blue light on’t roof, and reflective battenburg stickers on 't outside…

As an aside, I’ve heard of ‘the long arm of the law’ , but really? In the outside lane?

the nodding donkey:

robroy:
Used to do it in the 80s, not now though even if I could (set at 53) and especially not for the wage I am on.

Yeh it’s wrong, it’s against the law, etc etc, and if the driver is on crap wages as alleged,.and he risks his licence for this…he’s a grade A chump …end of, but what do I know, I don’t even know him or his co.
However what I DO know is this is the job for the Police, well to …police, and for DVSA to punish them.
Nothing to do with you me, anyone else, and especially not a Road Vigilante fanny type, with a camera . :smiling_imp:

It’s not a ‘road vigilante’ though, unless he’s not only invested in a camera, but also in a blue light on’t roof, and reflective battenburg stickers on 't outside…

As an aside, I’ve heard of ‘the long arm of the law’ , but really? In the outside lane?

Ah right!
As thread title says…Whoops. :blush: :smiley:

norb:
Stuart Nicol Transport based in Shotts I think .His motors look smart …So is it just points and a fine ,or is it a more severe punishment with the Professional driver tag

Do Friday night/Saturday mornings Scotch and back,no matter how fast the motor,you can’t catch an SNT!

No sympathy from me, the blokes a tool and was asking for it. I love these drivers that think because they’ve got a flash motor and a generous speed limiter they can ignore the rules because they only apply to the rest of us plebs. I can only assume SNT pay way more than everybody else so the drivers can afford the fines for being impatient [emoji57]

nomiS36:

AndrewG:

damoq:

Of course if you have a copper following then yes its possible you may be pulled but from my experience working over here at least, it never happens as most really cant be bothered. As for the tacho being tampered with, there’ll be no evidence of anything untoward, the software used on recalibrated tachos uses encrypted 56 letter (upper and lower case) and 0-9 numericals which are impossible to decypher so the world of ■■■■ you mention doesnt even exist :sunglasses:

nomiS36:
No sympathy from me, the blokes a tool and was asking for it. I love these drivers that think because they’ve got a flash motor and a generous speed limiter they can ignore the rules because they only apply to the rest of us plebs. I can only assume SNT pay way more than everybody else so the drivers can afford the fines for being impatient [emoji57]

You’ll generally find that unless the driver is being paid by load companies which operate this way will just pay any fines the driver may incur and drivers being paid over and above the going rate will take the risk on points. Tbh though youre only talking 6 mph over the statutory 56mph limiter and only 2mph (average) over the actual road speed limit,hardly breaking the sound barrier and the very reason its (in general) pretty much ignored by the authorities…

AndrewG:

nomiS36:

You’ll generally find that unless the driver is being paid by load companies which operate this way will just pay any fines the driver may incur and drivers being paid over and above the going rate will take the risk on points. Tbh though youre only talking 6 mph over the statutory 56mph limiter and only 2mph (average) over the actual road speed limit,hardly breaking the sound barrier and the very reason its (in general) pretty much ignored by the authorities…

As well as running in the 3rd lane. The driver is showing utter contempt for the law and I’m sure if there was any motorway cops left these days they’d take a pretty dim view of his offences.

nomiS36:

AndrewG:

damoq:

pish.ive been tugged numerous times being clocked at 0ver 60 ( generously over in some cases)…worst ive had is a gv9 for the seals being pulled in some cases,though been allowed to head to a main dealer for recalibration,and other times just a interrogation and a follow up to the bosses who just usually trat it with disinterest .as soon as its recalibrated,then its a trip to co armgh and reset again in 10 mins…job done. knowing and proving are 2 different things.

dieseldog999:
pish.ive been tugged numerous times being clocked at 0ver 60 ( generously over in some cases)…worst ive had is a gv9 for the seals being pulled in some cases,though been allowed to head to a main dealer for recalibration,and other times just a interrogation and a follow up to the bosses who just usually trat it with disinterest .as soon as its recalibrated,then its a trip to co armgh and reset again in 10 mins…job done. knowing and proving are 2 different things.

^
This
Theres generally too much brainwashing re penalties involved for such trivialities…

Well, I’m genuinely shocked! So DVSA are really that much of a push over? Having worked for wincanton for 7 years and being told they would throw the book at you for every single offence they can find has sort of got me a bit paranoid. I’ve not worked for them for a couple of years by the way but I still behave myself.

nomiS36:
Having worked for wincanton for 7 years and being told they would throw the book at you for every single offence they can find has sort of got me a bit paranoid.

Reckon that was their intention mate.
It’s their paranoia that these ‘up their own arse’ type firms love to pass on and instill into their drivers.
It’s up to the individual whether you comply and/or take them seriously or not.