Wholesale Markets and the Hauliers delivering

Yes Sandway, it certainly is Liverpool City Centre, that is the Royal Court Theatre in the background, still going strong today.

Regards

John

I think this is Spitalfields market! As far as I remember I never tipped inside there but reckon Philip Crouch just got rid of a load of spuds and is now trying to get out. See the Jaffa grapefruit boxes in the foreground. Never did like them much preferred the cartons.

Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 15.10.50.png

I did an identical load to the Old Covent Garden market sometime mid 70’s. Got it as a return load but had to handball it on to my pallets. Was given three lads to help with the transhipping who wanted a bag of spuds for themselves. I said no but as I pulled away I saw them running down the road with one. I still got a clear signature when I tipped though.

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 08.00.56.png

First photo has to have been taken outside T J Poupart in the Acre. (Long Acre, Covent Garden). Bit before the time I delivered there most nights.

Second photo of a picture Tony Barwick painted from his memories of delivering swedes to Spitalfields market in the 60’s.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 10.14.14.png

Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 17.50.40.png

Francis Nichols Leicester. Delivered to the market a few times but not a regular drop. See the Carmel sign on the left. Often had Carmel produce to deliver having loaded it out of Louis Reece at Horsmonden.

Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 08.27.32.png

Hi re the last photo the sign CARMEL they were the importers and a shipping company from ISRAEL,the produce was all landed at their terminal
in MARSELLIE you would clear customs at the air port.dbp

I found this picture of a Foden and a Vulcan lorry earlier today on the Scrapbook Memories thread.
It took my memory back to my 3 years from early 1970 with Robert Baillie & Co Ltd from Portsmouth.
These 2 lorries belong to F W Docker & Sons Ltd, Wholesale fruit & Vegetable dealers whose market
stalls were at Carlisle and Kendal. We delivered several full trailer loads of Guernsey Tomatoes each
week to both locations, all handball, usually about 3000 trays, wired in bundles of three.

Ray Smyth.

F W Docker & Sons Ltd.jpg

Further to the post above regarding F W Docker & Sons Ltd, I imagine that Dennis from Kendal will remember them.
I seem to remember that Dockers also had a Wholesale fruit & vegetable operation at Barrow In Furness.

Ray Smyth.

Rowe of Redruth. Delivered there a few times when I worked for Mitchell & Robertson in the early 70’s. Got a return load out of them on one occasion. Fresh fish from Looe up to Sevenside.

Screenshot 2022-02-26 at 08.52.32.png

One of the regular sights at Spitalfields was Olloquiegui from Northern Spain, although more usually a Pegaso 2082 rather than a Mack. I clearly recall seeing them not just in the markets but on the old Rochester Way and on the Canterbury Ring Road. Certainly two pictures to delight several interests.

flickr.com/photos/martin-irazu/6926724921

cav551:
One of the regular sights at Spitalfields was Olloquiegui from Northern Spain, although more usually a Pegaso 2082 rather than a Mack. I clearly recall seeing them not just in the markets but on the old Rochester Way and on the Canterbury Ring Road. Certainly two pictures to delight several interests.

flickr.com/photos/martin-irazu/6926724921

IIRC they had a depot in Irun, visible from the main road; and another depot on the right hand side of the National road to Pamploma before you climbed the mountain.

Ro

Don’t see many photos of the old Brentford Market unfortunately. I delivered there regularly in the early 70’s for a couple of years. The attached photos were kindly supplied by the company C M Haigh and posted by Steve Dearman.

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 08.53.37.png

Screenshot 2022-08-06 at 08.53.10.png

Remember delivering to Arnold’s but can’t remember where. Was it Spits?

Love this old photo. Full load of Bushel boxes. Most probably bramley apples and the lorry may have been owned by the farmer. I remember Tassell Brothers from Ulcombe had there own lorry which trundled up to the London markets now and again.

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 08.54.03.png

Delivering Outspan oranges to Superior at Offord Cluny, Buzzer

img061.jpg

Buzzer:

Remember loading Outspan at Dover docks. First time I experienced loading fruit from the ship on their own pallets. Pallets were very flimsy though and it didn’t make for a pretty load.

Another load of bushel boxes. Love the lack of ropes.

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 09.21.37.png

Buzzer:

Been in that yard a few times, my late big brother drove for Superior at Offord for years both employed and as an owner driver.
Bernard

albion1938:

Buzzer:

Been in that yard a few times, my late big brother drove for Superior at Offord for years both employed and as an owner driver.
Bernard

Used to like that job, better than doing markets, leave home 4am get there five past seven usually half a dozen motors from our end on that run mostly OD’s, no rush as you could not get loaded in the docks at Southampton till after lunch then it was usually job & knock so got out sharpish. Good canteen at Superior for breakfast too, Buzzer

Buzzer:

albion1938:

Buzzer:

Bernard

Used to like that job, better than doing markets, leave home 4am get there five past seven usually half a dozen motors from our end on that run mostly OD’s, no rush as you could not get loaded in the docks at Southampton till after lunch then it was usually job & knock so got out sharpish. Good canteen at Superior for breakfast too, Buzzer

Ha. My brother did the market work for you, he quite enjoyed it. Silly thing is that some of those oranges probably ended up down Southampton way.
Bernard

I got the pictures the wrong way round, The first is Doncaster depot, and the
second picture is Wigan depot. From 1994, the Wigan depot site became a
large retail park, mainly of Sainsburys. Cheers, Ray.