Wholesale Markets and the Hauliers delivering

Having seen a post on the Prof section about refusing loads for late delivery reminds me about the aggro involved in the middle of the night when stall holders rejected part of their delivery. Half the time they were trying it on to get it cheaper but that didn’t always work out when it was sold to their rivals in the same market. The delay however sometimes meant that one of the later markets on a round robin was shut by the time you got there. I remember having a fair number of ‘you should have been here yesterdays’. Some were for that reason, others because someone had assumed that the last drop would get there the same day as the first. I recall getting to many markets at around 2pm and hearing that it had been expected for 5am.

Guy Big J 8lxb:
TJ Poupart

Just a bit of trivia, A good friend of my fathers had a General Haulage Business just a short walk from our yard, he popped in one late morning looking for a favour, he had bought two Commer Maxiloaders off of TJ Poupart in Covent Garden and they were ready to come home.
I went with him on the Underground to Covent Garden, always keen to drive something different, this would have been about 1976ish and I would have been in my mid 20’s.
They were two nice looking, tidy motors and I’m pretty sure they gave him good service iirc…

From memory TJ Poupart must have been a fair concern as they had places in Southampton,Brisol. I also think they had places in Cardiff,
Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Funny you should mention the Commers my grandad bought 2 new ones after the sale man called in there yard and offered them a demonstrator.
They traded in 2 Thames Traders and apparently the Commers were much faster. :wink:

Heres one of TJ Poupart’s Seddon’s.

poupart.com/NewFiles/poupartltd.pdf

DEANB:

Guy Big J 8lxb:
TJ Poupart

Just a bit of trivia, A good friend of my fathers had a General Haulage Business just a short walk from our yard, he popped in one late morning looking for a favour, he had bought two Commer Maxiloaders off of TJ Poupart in Covent Garden and they were ready to come home.
I went with him on the Underground to Covent Garden, always keen to drive something different, this would have been about 1976ish and I would have been in my mid 20’s.
They were two nice looking, tidy motors and I’m pretty sure they gave him good service iirc…

From memory TJ Poupart must have been a fair concern as they had places in Southampton,Brisol. I also think they had places in Cardiff,
Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Funny you should mention the Commers my grandad bought 2 new ones after the sale man called in there yard and offered them a demonstrator.
They traded in 2 Thames Traders and apparently the Commers were much faster. :wink:

Heres one of TJ Poupart’s Seddon’

Thanks for the reply, my one and only time behind the wheel of a Commer, I remember the two Drivers they were given to saying that they were fast… :wink:

Nottingham Fruit & Veg Market. I only ever delivered there once whilst working for Mitchell & Robertson. It was so long ago I remember very little but as Nottingham is written on some of the vehicles it must be the place. I assume I was delivering HGF fruit.

Many the time I’ve pulled into James Street, on the left, at ten or eleven at night for a delivery to one of the shops/stands up there only to find it still chock a block with cars who’s owners were still in the Opera House. Either had to keep going round the block or get some help from other drivers to bump the cars onto the pavement to make space to get in. Got a bit messy if the car was fitted with a motion sensor alarm though. Should have seen their faces when they came back for their cars and it wasn’t where they left it. Gave us all a good laugh.

Please click on photo to enlarge.

Screenshot 2021-09-10 at 09.52.53.jpg

sandway:
Nottingham Fruit & Veg Market. I only ever delivered there once whilst working for Mitchell & Robertson. It was so long ago I remember very little but as Nottingham is written on some of the vehicles it must be the place. I assume I was delivering HGF fruit.

Hi Sandway.
Yes,TO was Nottingham CBC and RR was Nottingham CC.I once got lift in one of Geest’s LAD Comets when in RAF early 60s.I was going home to Sheffield from Norfolk one friday night,and driver was doing Nottingham,Stoke and one in Lancashire with strawberries.I helped him tip Nottingham market early morning and bailed out in Derby where I walked round to Olympia Cafe where a lift to Sheffield was guaranteed with Sheffield BRS or Parkgate Iron and Steel (Leonard Green) night trunkers.
You mentioned HGF and I seem to recall loading apples from them in Maldon,Essex around 1969.

sandway:
Many the time I’ve pulled into James Street, on the left, at ten or eleven at night for a delivery to one of the shops/stands up there only to find it still chock a block with cars who’s owners were still in the Opera House. Either had to keep going round the block or get some help from other drivers to bump the cars onto the pavement to make space to get in. Got a bit messy if the car was fitted with a motion sensor alarm though. Should have seen their faces when they came back for their cars and it wasn’t where they left it. Gave us all a good laugh.

Please click on photo to enlarge.

Cracking pic

sandway:

Elders and Fyffes place on the left of the pic where they made bananas.

Pete.

windrush:

sandway:

Elders and Fyffes place on the left of the pic where they made bananas

Pete.

They actually made bananas there :confused:

Suedehead:

windrush:

sandway:

Pete.

Yes, they don’t grow on trees you know! :laughing:

Pete.

Not sure if this qualifies as a " Wholesale Market " but I like the photograph, two Albion two axle rigids, owned by The Acme Drysaltery Co Ltd, Sunnyside pure foods, loaded up with a mixed load of foodstuffs and Lifebuoy soap.

Regards

John

love that pic j f g ,also if you zoom in they have consecutive number plates…

James Cockie’s Mercedes running between London & Glasgow in 1961.

Couple of interesting photos found recently on the web. The first one could have been taken in Humber Street, Hull market. Bit after my time going by the Ford Cargo on the left.

Any ideas where the second photo was taken? Looks like Munro’s on the right. Big building in the background.

I thought Stratford by the look of it but looking up it seems that AVM is a Manchester registration and BLA is a Blackfriars telephone exchange for the Deansgate and Blackfriars district.

I also think that the 2nd picture is Manchester Market on Swan Street. I can remember delivering
cauliflowers from Brittany to Munro & Co during the 3 years I was with Robert Baillie of Portsmouth
from early 1970, I was mainly a shunter based at their Wigan depot. Didnt need to buy much fruit and
vegetables back then. :wink: Sometimes, the full shoot of cauliflowers were fully sheeted, and as the
sheets came off the smell was dreadful. Sometimes the night trunk drivers would arrive up here with
the caulis covered with just a flysheet and corner boards.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Suedehead:

windrush:

sandway:

Pete.

Don’t laugh, :laughing: I once convinced Mrs GOM that eggs were manufactured. :open_mouth: “They’d need millions of hens to produce the demand for eggs my love…they manufacture them” :laughing:

This is what Humber Street looks like these days, lots of restaurants, bars and street food. Fantastic night out.

Where and when was this photo taken. Can’t make out the place name. T J Poupart (■■?) Ltd. Charles White is next door. Could be Liverpool before Edge Lane opened.

2.png