Who to contact for New Zealand Work

I am looking at moving me the wife and little lad to New Zealand have had class 1 for 2 years and been driving class 1 for 16 mths class 2 for a further 9 mths. i have savings to fly out and live for 6 mths but ideally would like to work straight away. Any help on who to contact or how to make it easier to get moved. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Which part of NZ? Ideally what type of job are you interested in?? Curtainsider, Fridge, Low-Loader, Bulk, Hi-Ab etc.â– â– 
If you don’t mind a bit of sleep deprivation and an occasional bout of creative log book writing my old job is up for grabs down in Christchurch apparently… :open_mouth:

A start is fine only really done curtain siders but will try anything. Are you still in NZ and where are the best places to be looking for work. Are the wages enough for a family to live on and is the quality of living better. Cheers for the reply Duck:)

Umm… …don’t wanna sound ■■■■■■■■… …but how high on the ‘list’ reckon you gonna be when comparin to locals…? …less than 2yrs of class1 (class5 in NZ) experience…

Usually, no matter where you go, as a foreigner you gotta (or at least should…) have fairly outstanding CV comparing to locals cause you never gonna be on the same line, aye…? I know, I’ve been ‘outcast’ for the last 3,5yrs.

Don’t get me wrong, all the best luck to you but still ask from yourself, if you’d have yer own company, would you hire foreigner with less than 2yrs of class1 experience…

For the question about the quality of life, hell yeah! NZ is def better than UK, better than whole bloody EU…

No one said it would be easy but I think I’ll give up now.

danj:
No one said it would be easy but I think I’ll give up now.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not tryin to put you out of your dreams, I’m just being realistic and tellin it straight to your face. Cause I can speak from experience. What the heck, if comin to NZ is your dream, you should push for it but I just wanted you to know that more or less likely chances for that would be minimal, unfortunately. But, you never know, there might be that one or two odd firms that just might go for you.

You know, it’s a tough world, no matter where you go.

Thankyou any tips on who to contact any companies who may be a good place to start :smiley:

Honestly, wouldn’t know, sorry mate… I didn’t get much of replies myself, even with 9yrs of experience but atm workin for the biggest refrigerated transport company in NZ.

how did you do it did you have a job first or move then get a job

danj:
A start is fine only really done curtain siders but will try anything. Are you still in NZ and where are the best places to be looking for work. Are the wages enough for a family to live on and is the quality of living better. Cheers for the reply Duck:)

Not in NZ at the moment, Auckland or Christchurch would be good places to start, wages vary but it ultimately comes down to how much effort you want to put in and the kind of lifestyle that you want. I was earning around £700 a week but putting in plenty of hours… Quality of life is better but you’ve got to work hard for your money, there’s no poodling along the Motorway at 56mph and then waiting for someone to unload you… I can’t comment on your CV because I don’t know you but certain stretches of NZ roads are unforgiving and those who aren’t up to the job can get caught out. For that reason you may have some trouble in convincing the locals to give you a Linehaul job immeadiately but if you’ve got the right attitude anything is possible. I presume you’ve already been to NZ to check the place out right??

danj:
Thankyou any tips on who to contact any companies who may be a good place to start :smiley:

Hi mate,check out ‘www.trademe.co.nz’ or ‘www.seek.co.nz’,follow the links thru to truck driving jobs,this will give you an idea of what jobs are out there & where they are,you can also check out house/rental,car prices etc.As I’m sure you know you will have to get work permit/visa & licences sorted to work in N.Z.
N.Z. House in London can answer all your questions.Good luck. :slight_smile:

danj:
how did you do it did you have a job first or move then get a job

I had a promising contact with my company but still I had to make a leap of faith and fly to Auckland for interview/assessment. Obviously I was faithful that gonna land a job but you could not tell for sure until the big wheel turned…

prefix:
Umm… …don’t wanna sound [zb]… …but how high on the ‘list’ reckon you gonna be when comparin to locals…? …less than 2yrs of class1 (class5 in NZ) experience…

Usually, no matter where you go, as a foreigner you gotta (or at least should…) have fairly outstanding CV comparing to locals cause you never gonna be on the same line, aye…? I know, I’ve been ‘outcast’ for the last 3,5yrs.

Don’t get me wrong, all the best luck to you but still ask from yourself, if you’d have yer own company, would you hire foreigner with less than 2yrs of class1 experience…

I would not worry about the locals as most don’t want to work and of those that do want to work Most employers would not employ.